TK-6682 Requesting ANH Stunt Centurion Status [RS*] [98]

TK6682

I came into this forum excited about my new RS armor and got a "Reluctant acceptance" for EIB. Not congratulations.

Wow, that makes a guy who has been trooping for over 8 years feel welcome.

Nicely done FISD!

Edited by TK6682

I think if people are going to make up rules as they go, the CRL for centurion should be updated. People are worried about the smallest details and not every centurion or even EIB is held for the same reasons. Also new applicants get unsure because of threads like this or because people chime in and give "suggestions". I mentioned real sterling and "scuffed boots" and someone already thinks its needed.

I also think if people are going to bicker, then we should all change the rules of centurion to just movie accurate. Strapping system and every single screw, nut size, painted boots.

I like how some centurions dont even have correct snaps or even use snap plates and they still get a pass.

This hobby should be fun and we all should strive for accuacy.

Edited by vecspeed12

Until the Deployment Officer says what needs to be done everything is speculation. the decision is his, but comments from others are unavoidable and can be expected. wait for the DO then follow his lead. also its not uncommon to wait a few days to hear from him I think most everyone has waited a day or two or three but he will get to it. you have a nice solid set of armor, and should be proud of it.

Regarding the CRLs, the way it works is we, as a detachment, vote on what we want to require. Then the DL and, if he chooses, his staff or a committee or just him or whatever, decides which of those to present to the LGMLOGWOL whatever those people are in the Legion who say yea or nay to these things. (I'm never sure what any of the titles are, I should probably educate myself on that.) And then things *may or may not* be revised in the CRL. There's some politics and diplomacy and timing and other factors involved that aren't as simple as "just change the CRL." :(  And don't forget we did up the requirements this summer!

It is quite possible that we simply spell it out on the detachment level and all level 2 and 3 points in the CRL state, "See detachment award description for details." But for now that is not the case, sorry, things are what they are.

in fact, the secret thread is all the other Centurion Applications! As i said there're plenty of small details that have become required to obtain the Centurion grade which aren't written in the CRL (and which will probably never be).

Looking over other centurions approvals you may not find some of these requirements, some are regularly overlooked, and actually you may come out worse!

Similar to TK-6682, I've been off the boards for awhile and want to come back to submit my new armor which I believe is set to Centurion standards. Before doing that, is it not possible to add these non-required and "secret" requirements. Or are we subject to the current approver's idea of what is acceptable at the time?

So how do we get amendments and additions to the program started?

Why not make a Sticky thread that has it all spelled out for our members?

Yes, that's something that crossed through my mind few times and i think this is a great idea. 

I came into this forum excited about my new RS armor and got a "Reluctant acceptance" for EIB. Not congratulations.

Wow, that makes a guy who has been trooping for over 8 years feel welcome.

Nicely done FISD!

And if that could make a difference, i cannot congratulate you enough for your armor, it's a wonderful one! And i'm sure every one would agree with that! 

BTW, i noticed something else that could be modified on your armor for a better screen accuracy today, should i tell it  :P ?

I reluctantly have the EIB award as instead of correcting the holster strap width, an argument ensued.

I knew that after fixing the broken parts of your armour, fitting your ab and kidney plates together then your armour standard would be centurion.

My job was to help and guide to improve your look and a number of people decided to poke fun at me and throw insults.

I would have proudly congratulated you for EIB if it was how I liked it at the time.

Instead, I was honest and reluctantly passes you under pressure.

I have not filled in the paperwork for two EIB applicants yet as I am operating from an iPhone only.

Once your EIB paperwork is done.

Then you will be processed for centurion.

It would be nice to have seen the belt on in a picture of a ruler to show scale.

You will have met the centurion requirements.

Now, moving on.

Poking fun at the DO is not constructive.

At the end of the day I am a volunteer here to do a certain job.

Let's line up the next and new DO if anyone is interested in this selfless task.

I had more fun on FISD before having this responsibility for processing, admin and paperwork.

With regards to standards may I say the following.

Every detail cannot be put down in writing.

Things change as new info and original material is discovered.

What was once right in the past can change when new info is found.

The armour looks different on different sized people and needs changes from person to person to suit.

All the ANH film Stormtroopers were around the same size wearing the same production line suit.

This is why you guys have to make scaling and size adjustments to suit you.

Have you tried defining and putting that in a manual?

The awards follow the CRL, but a visual inspection on how it looks on you is where it's at.

• Like 1

First off, i want to say that i do appreciate what FISD staff does to better this detachment. I too find it stressful at times and with some pressure from others since i am also GEC for my garrison. Its a selfless role and i agree. I get it. You and i and a bunch of others want people to be more accurate. So with that said, i hope you don't feel that im poking at you.

Second of all. I think it is unfair to people when they are building centurion and you might throw in "boots need to be weathered" as an example. If something isnt in the CRL requirements, then why mention it? People and new members would be confused. If people strive to be movie accurate down to the little string, then maybe we should raise the centurion standards? I love movie accuracy and i wish everyone did. But putting certain rules that dont qualify in the CRL make people just downright confused. If i had my choice (which i don't and is impossible) that centurion standards should just be movie accurate. Original straps, snaps and all.

Dont get me wrong. I was never poking fun. I was just trying to state issues. I personally don't agree that just one DO monitor this. It should be 2 at least if people want to be picky and get to the nitty gritty.

I reluctantly have the EIB award as instead of correcting the holster strap width, an argument ensued.

I knew that after fixing the broken parts of your armour, fitting your ab and kidney plates together then your armour standard would be centurion.

My job was to help and guide to improve your look and a number of people decided to poke fun at me and throw insults.

I would have proudly congratulated you for EIB if it was how I liked it at the time.

Instead, I was honest and reluctantly passes you under pressure.

I have not filled in the paperwork for two EIB applicants yet as I am operating from an iPhone only.

Once your EIB paperwork is done.

Then you will be processed for centurion.

It would be nice to have seen the belt on in a picture of a ruler to show scale.

You will have met the centurion requirements.

How was I rewarded wIth a "reluctant acceptance" That is just down right rude and a slap in my face.

Just to be clear, I never argued nor did I "poke fun" at you. I simply corrected all 3 issues you listed in the EIB thread.

I even sent you a PM to assist you and expedite your process.

"Instead of correcting the strap width and argument ensued?" Are you kidding me? I cut the straps just minutes after you answered the "correct 20mm" length question and let you know via PM that the new strap photo was being uploaded.

I have been doing this a long time and am NO stranger to getting details exactly correct. 

I do not hold grudges. I do thank you for all of the time you have invested in getting both of these status approved for me.

Edited by TK6682

Ahem. The Centurion CRL is about to be amended based on voting done last year. If you want to see whats likely going to be changed check out the detachment only discussion area and the votes of yore. I have approval from the LMO to make the changes and its just a matter of me making some time (of which is hardly commodity these days) to sit down and edit them on the 501st site. The CFLs are seemingly immutable on longer :) (yes I'll need help with the french translations again... please) 

And no holster tab width is not one of the changes we voted on. Maybe in 2014. 

Bender: Your kit looks better than 98% of the legion. This is a model that everyone in an FX should follow and the very reason Paul created EIB in the first place. Your EIB and Centurion are well deserved in my opinion. 

-Eric

Great job Doctor! Look forward to trooping w/ you in your new gear B) 

I guess I had better lube my backside before submitting my Centurion Application :blink: It is ridiculous to knit pick over small details, these are production suits trimmed and assembled by various people. Each one is slightly different.

Great job Doctor! Look forward to trooping w/ you in your new gear B) 

I guess I had better lube my backside before submitting my Centurion Application :blink: It is ridiculous to knit pick over small details, these are production suits trimmed and assembled by various people. Each one is slightly different.

Different to some extent yes. But the comments were justified. What isn't justified is attacking the DO for doing his job. And if you are so reluctant towards the idea that you might get some parts of your costume pointed out to you as areas of improvement, then maybe Centurion is not for you.

Indeed, sometimes things are brought up in EIB and Centurion threads that are not at the time part of the written CRL, but are perhaps in line to become. Or even just common sense when compared to reference photos of real armour. But these things are brought up to to the applicant so that he or she can improve, beyond what's written down. Because the CRL is supposed to be easy to read, but not all of what makes an accurate armour is possible to explain in only one or two short sentences, or require pictures to illustrate, which are not possible to add to the CRL. But if Centurion is your game, and you want to be a high achiever, then I would say that you shouldn't even need the CRL, because you should look at reference photos and deduct from those yourself what is accurate or not. Because that actually produces better results than following some kind of step-for-step guide that people tend to think of the CRL as.

For the sake of clarification my comment was in regards to the comments by other members, not the DO. The DO has an important job and follows a guideline. It is when other people chime in with additional "do this" or "tweak that", or "you need a real sterling" that I feel is unnecessary. It is important to get feedback and help if something is missing or in non-compliance w/ the CRL, but beyond that I disagree. My apologies to those offended by my comment.