Ned some help with helmet.

ocsurfreport

Hello everyone, I completely new here and was wondering what you all thought of this helmet I purchased on e-bay, perhaps anyone knows what type it is etc. It is part of a a complete suit I will post pictures of that another time when I try it on. 

Also I need help if getting two new ear pieces (like the one missing in picture) and a new vocoder mouth piece, if anyone could point me to the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. 

https://i.imgur.com/UYJE0H7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7hFfE6E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Caqqey2.jpg

Thanks in Advance.

Uhh...huh. That *might* be what you'd call a "recasted" FX helmet. Genuine FX helmets are generally frowned upon these days anyway, so your best bet might be to sell that off for whatever you can get and put it towards a better, more accurate bucket. Examples include ATA, RS, and AP among others. Unfortunately, you're going to see a lot of this "recasting" on eBay.

Read this: 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/

and this:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

By any chance, would you still happen to have the link to the auction?

Good luck and welcome. Don't forget to introduce yourself and tell us why your here, and what costume you're trying to emulate. There are people here who will be happy to guide you along

Edited by SolidScrafty

I might be wrong, but, this is not a recast, but a beat up FX.

The FX will get you basic approval and that's about it. You will be lucky if you find the parts for it.

I hope you did not pay too much for it.

Etic

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The bucket is definitely FX. As previously mentioned that armor will meet the current minimum requirements (though the bucket is missing the pieces for the rank bars on the ears and you'll need to replace the stripes on the cheeks for blue). Good luck and ask away if you have any questions!

First off let me thank you guys for your quick and helpful response.

I'm a total newb at this, wanted to join the 501st and make some friends and also do cool thing like go to charity events and such. 

The auction final price I thought (As far as I knew) was pretty decent because it was a complete set with everything.  --->

Please note that about $150 was refunded from final price for some problems with shipping damage that was repaired.

*****Not available any longer*****

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I am disappointed about the parts, but I did ask the people over at www.stormtrooper-costumes.com and they quoted me $54.64 (Extremely expensive), for 2 ear pieces and the vocoder, but I just read on the link provided to watch out for them!

Edited by ocsurfreport

You paid alot for an FX. At this price you can have a way more accurate armor and new.

Stormtrooper-costume is a well known over priced recaster.

Sorry for the honesty, but, tell yourself I did some good mistake myself. ;)

Guys I just read on the post that FX is made in the US, but I got the kit from the UK, isn't it unlikely that someone in the UK would buy a kit from the US? Just a thought.

Type: FX
Availability: FX is not currently being sold. Do not buy from e-bay - kits are over-priced, the quality is often dubious, and always recast.
Kit: ABS, trimmed, fan sculpt.
Comments: The helmet is far from accurate. The armor continues to be popular but should be avoided. 

Guys I just read on the post that FX is made in the US, but I got the kit from the UK, isn't it unlikely that someone in the UK would buy a kit from the US? Just a thought.

Type: FX

Availability: FX is not currently being sold. Do not buy from e-bay - kits are over-priced, the quality is often dubious, and always recast.

Kit: ABS, trimmed, fan sculpt.

Comments: The helmet is far from accurate. The armor continues to be popular but should be avoided. 

Sorry if I'm being a bit blunt here, but even with all the added bells and whistles, I still think that money could have been better invested. I got my lite ATA armor kit (w/o helmet) for less than half of what you paid (won't say exactly for privacy reasons). That price doesn't include the separate EFX helmet(purchased prior), soft parts, or any of the assembly materials, but I can rest assured that it's of good quality and won't be needing any upgrades to bring it to 501st standards (the EFX helmet needed modding, but it wasn't hard to do). Best of all, I got to assemble the armor myself, to get the best possible fit.

It doesn't surprise me that people in the UK would get their hands on a US-made armor. From what I understand, FX was really popular back in the day.

If you intend to keep this suit, good on you. You CAN get approved with FX armor, but I'd at the very least swap the helmet out for an EFX. It's commercially available, it's the cheapest almost-ready-to-troop bucket, it can fit a large head, and it doesn't look half bad after a few minor modifications.

Edited by SolidScrafty

I am very happy to hear I can get approved with this armor, and I'm kinda embarrassed to say now, but I also made an additional impulse buy, when looking for parts  (ear pieces) that I thought I could mix and match with this helmet thinking I could always sell my first one later.

The helmet is this one  --->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-REPLICA-STORMTROOPER-HELMET-ANH-501st-Prop-Gerardo-Fallano-/131000239769?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=n6vnqY%252Fm8fXhjVuRBNoVh1dyIEw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Any thoughts on that one?   :D  :56pullhair:

Please note I fell for the hype the seller wrote, not sure if this helmet is any good or not! Also why I need the vocoder.

I don't have it in my possession yet for pictures

Edited by ocsurfreport

That, my friend, looks like another FX bucket. 

I have two suggestions for you.

http://www.amazon.com/EFX-Star-Stormtrooper-Helmet-Replica/dp/B005J35PG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381291006&sr=8-1&keywords=EFX+stormtrooper+helmet

That is an EFX ANH Stormtrooper helmet. I currently own one of these. Many troopers have been approved with these helmets after making minor modifications.

http://forum.501stspecopsdet.net/index.php?/topic/1366-fs-at3-anh-stunt-buckets/

You will need to register in order to access this forum. You can send a PM to ARAKYEL, the maker of the AT series of helmets. He mostly specializes in Blackhole, Nova, and Magma Trooper helmets, but he will build a white one on request. His feedback is always positive; his helmets are considered to be masterpieces, true works of art. I'm thinking about getting a new Magma bucket from him soon.

As for your ear pieces...I can't say. I never assembled my own helmet; the EFX did not require assembly.

Wow just my luck. What about all the "authentic Gerardo Fallano " signature and stuff, is that a lie?

Man, I wish I knew about this forum before!!!

Just joined the Spec Ops but I have to wait --->

Thank you ocsurfreport. Your registration has been successful. The administrator wishes to preview all new registered accounts before posting permissions are granted. The administrator has been notified of your registration.

By the way thank you for all your help and quick reply.

Wow just my luck. What about all the "authentic Gerardo Fallano " signature and stuff, is that a lie?

It's not a lie, I can see the scribbled writing inside the bucket, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an FX. Not only that, but the frown is painted incorrectly, and it's missing the vocoder.

EDIT: You can't really prove whether or not it's a lie. It could have been anyone who scribbled that name in there!!  :laugh1:

Edited by SolidScrafty

I don't know if it's a GF or not, don't forget that FX recasted GF. GF ended up by getting a ROTJ armor, modified his mould and now they are used by AP.

But, please Phillip, stop buying off e-bay. They are some honnest seller on e-bay, but, it's rare that you see them selling Stormtrooper Armor.

But, please Phillip, stop buying off e-bay. They are some honnest seller on e-bay, but, it's rare that you see them selling Stormtrooper Armor.

+1  :salute:

We're telling you this because we hate seeing people throw their money away. Get a refund when you can, and put it towards something better!  ;)

I thought it would be easy to get parts and such. Very disappointing!

You may find individual parts on the bay, but there are vendors out there who are willing to ship out individual parts at a much more reasonable price. I can vouch for ATA's willingness to do that. I ordered a right shin from him on a Monday and got it on a Friday.

+1  :salute:

We're telling you this because we hate seeing people throw their money away. Get a refund when you can, and put it towards something better!  ;)

No worries, thats why I came here to get help! I just wish I knew about e-bay and star wars armor before.

I was looking to perhaps getting one of these helmets completed, I was quoted $325, any thoughts?  --->

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23949-cap-helmet-kit-run/

If not then I will get the efx and try and do the mods requires, like was suggested!