CAP/CAP-West From the Horse's Mouth

Same here.  Scootch has always been a stand-up guy towards me and has produced great armor every time both afford-ably and quickly.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more on this subject. I have my own opinions of the history but to hear it first hand would be great.

Just for your information I waited 2 1/2 years years for my piece of crap from TE! Hahahaha........Even then half my order was missing. Never seen it to this day.

Crack on buddy......... :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• 4 weeks later...

What else does Scootch need to do for his armor to be considered legitimate?  I read this and think he's been pretty transparent and straight-forward.  

What else does Scootch need to do for his armor to be considered legitimate?  I read this and think he's been pretty transparent and straight-forward.

IIRC he has to replace the sniper plate and compad, as these parts did not have a clear lineage. There may be other things, but that's all that comes to mind, as this was discussed quite some time ago.

I love all of these history threads, but still can't keep any of it straight in my head. Really cool stuff though. I initially looked into buying a TK kit almost a decade ago, but couldn't finance it and eventually gave up trying. Until this year. But I still have emails from certain vendors back in 2004. I'd be curious to see which armor kit(s) I had information on from back then as the emails from don't indicate. 

IIRC he has to replace the sniper plate and compad, as these parts did not have a clear lineage. There may be other things, but that's all that comes to mind, as this was discussed quite some time ago.

Yes, the sniper knee plate and ab plate buttons were Troopermaster, and the Thermal Detonator keypad was Crashmann, at the time I purchased the goods.

As stated previously in post #2 of this thread I traded with TE ROTJ for his kneeplate and ab plate buttons in 2010. Also stated in  post #2 of this thread I showed my new bucks made from 2.5"  for Thermal Detonator keypad, as well as the new 2" bucks I made for Sandtrooper. In all honesty the named parts I recieved originally (kneeplate, ab buttons, thermal det) were'nt very sharp to begin with. I only like sharp.  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Scootch

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on an armor lineage tree now - figure it will help prevent the same questions be asked again and again. And again.

That's a great idea.  Will be cool to see.

I'm working on an armor lineage tree now - figure it will help prevent the same questions be asked again and again. And again.

I hope it's poster size, it would look cool with photos of each armor type~! wall hanger next to the film poster

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Scootch,

Sorry I missed meeting you at the Clovis Rodeo Parade this past weekend, I had JROTC to run, but all the pictures I've seen & from speaking to a few members, it looked like a great time with a great turnout!

If you have anymore info on your work-up, please keep posting. It's very interesting to see the time & work that goes into creating the final product that we all have the privilege to obtain. Great work pal!

I'm glad I have certain helmets in my collection from back in the day when there was honour in this hobby. Some are that rare only a couple of people know about them.I have these helmets in my collection because back in the early days of this hobby there wasn't the threat of rampant recasting. Whether you like the recast argument or not has nothing to do with it. Recasting hurts this hobby and stops people offering very rare pieces for people's collections because of the threat. You have no idea what hasn't been offered because of this. Many true replicas will not see the light of day because of these attitude. Your not paying people because they have the copyrights but because THEY took the risk to pull an original apart or spent countless hours sculpting with thier insane talents. And that is a massive risk.

Ben

Edited by Gizmo

Wow, how far back do you go then - 2004?  I ask in that in the 10 years I've been in the Legion there has always been recasting going on.  Sometimes more blatant that not, but there are a lot of liars in this hobby...

About 2000 to 2003 were great years. I joined the RPF at the start of 2002 but was around a couple of years before that. Enough time to see the hobby change into what it is today. I still love the hobby esp with EFX producing what they are. But certain groups don't understand what they've ruined and theres a lot not offered because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting opinions, Thanks for sharing. It's true there are liars at every turn. True also that there are countless individuals attempting to butter their bread with knock offs. The one true fact above all else is the 501st is a costuming club. That being said, 90% (and that is a modest calculation) of 501st Legioneers will be more concerned with gear which #1 passes muster, #2 is relatively affordable, and #3 will last them a while. The statements made in regard to "we don't know what we're missing" etc.... they've been made for over a decade. Maybe we don't know what we're missing, To this day there's still no proof.   but we do know we have come quite a ways in the right direction over the past decade where making the 501st Legion the world's premier SW costuming club is concerned, and I can't imagine a guy would go through the trouble of casting a screen used costume only to share it with a couple dozen trusted souls...... even then, thanks for doing so.  No, over here in my shop a lot of things come and go, I have quite a collection of interesting relics from all the usual suspects who "needed the money", they certainly were not concerned with being cast then. Ha ha! Personally I could never in good conscience copy some movie mask then farm it out to a foreign country to be mass produced poorly, then bring it back here to sell at 600% mark up. Deaf ears in this group matey, we want to look good in public as we support our local folk. A dusty shelf full of curio's is just that. and at the end of it all it's the relationships you nurtured and not the treasure you horded. Live long enough, prosper, and have a nice day.