Opinions about NE armor?

Someone has any opinions about this new armor? :R2D2:

NE armor-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

My opinion is:

I am currently building this armor kit (minus the helmet).  I have seen several builds on the forums for this kit.  People are successfully approved and trooping in this armor.  This kit can accommodate the larger trooper, but can also be cut down to size.  I think that's really all that needs to be said.  :)

My opinion is:

I am currently building this armor kit (minus the helmet).  I have seen several builds on the forums for this kit.  People are successfully approved and trooping in this armor.  This kit can accommodate the larger trooper, but can also be cut down to size.  I think that's really all that needs to be said.   :)

Thank you. Can I ask you your weight?

The armour is pretty good.

The helmet is an awful thing to put together.

I can get over the 3 part helmet.

I like the new detail and front faceplate.

But it wasn't made for the rear helmet half.

Consequently it needs loads of fiddling, rivets and adjustments to go together.

I wouldn't recommend this helmet for a beginner to put together.

This is just my opinion.

Just my 2 cents most seem to be happy with the armor, the let down as Phil has said is the 3 piece lid, putting a two piece together can be tricky enough but a three piece, why oh why be that mean :blink:

I've seen a few people torn over it. Some say it's meant for larger troopers, but I don't think so. I think it might be slightly bigger, but not FX bigger.

Some say it's easy to put together. Possibly. Possibly not. Maybe just the bucket.  

I have read on more than a few occasions that the helmet is not worth it & a more s screen-accurate one is preferred. 

I've seen at least one newbie in the GML forum have trouble getting it approved & I thought it wasn't too horrible. 

Thank you. Can I ask you your weight?

I am 5' 10" and 195 lbs.  I'm going to need to trim quite a bit from the arms and legs to fit my body.  I'm not sure how much I'll have to trim from the ab / kidney parts to fit around my waist, as I haven't tried to fit those pieces yet.

I am 5' 10" and 195 lbs.  I'm going to need to trim quite a bit from the arms and legs to fit my body.  I'm not sure how much I'll have to trim from the ab / kidney parts to fit around my waist, as I haven't tried to fit those pieces yet.

How large, do you think, is the armor?

I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs and had to trim little from the arms, biceps and shins. Haven't gotten to the thighs yet. From preliminary test fits the torso sections seem about right in height and I will need to trim some from the additional "shims" that are moulded into the ab/kidney. Jusy offering this as a comparison. Personally, I think if you are much above 6' you'll be showing a lot of black at the knees and elbows but other than that it should work. This kit might be more work than others if you are shorter/smaller.

I haven't started on the bucket but I bought my RT-Mod bucket when you could get them unassembled (I understand you can only get them built now?) so have built one three piece bucket. It really wasn't hard, but maybe the RT lid is easier? <shrug>

I'm 6'3" and about 210 lbs. I put the NE kit together with absolutely no trimming on the legs and only minimal trimming on the forearms to make the front and back pieces even. This was my first build and the helmet was a pain, but with some patience, sweat, and a little blood I made it work. I am currently waiting on approval and my advisor assures me I shouldn't have any issues. I think it looks amazing, but being my first build I have very little to compare it to. Here is a pic of me at NYCC this last weekend cosplaying in my gear.I am the one in the middle.

post-18694-0-12657100-1381893322_thumb.jpg

I'm 6'3" and about 210 lbs. I put the NE kit together with absolutely no trimming on the legs and only minimal trimming on the forearms to make the front and back pieces even. This was my first build and the helmet was a pain, but with some patience, sweat, and a little blood I made it work. I am currently waiting on approval and my advisor assures me I shouldn't have any issues. I think it looks amazing, but being my first build I have very little to compare it to. Here is a pic of me at NYCC this last weekend cosplaying in my gear.I am the one in the middle.

attachicon.gif20131012_141340-2.jpg

Hey, It was great meeting you Jon! I'm the incinerator trooper with the ammo pouch falling off my shoulder/chest in the picture lol...The NE armor looked great on you!

LOL! What are the odds? (Pretty good, I suppose, since this is the place to go for all TKs...). It was good to meet you as well. I hope you don't mind me posting the pic. If so, I apologize! Thanks for talking with me this weekend. It was cool to meet some folks outside of Garrison Carida.

But really, the NE armor worked out for me (hopefully, still waiting on approval 3 weeks going).

This:

I've seen a few people torn over it. Some say it's meant for larger troopers, but I don't think so. I think it might be slightly bigger, but not FX bigger.

Some say it's easy to put together. Possibly. Possibly not. Maybe just the bucket.  

I am 5'8" and was 242 at the time I finished building mine (I went on a weight loss kick, and have lost 5 pounds since I got approved.) I got approved and have trooped 10+ times since getting approved. 

The helmet was a pain in the rear. I only finished that with the help of a more experienced member. I have yet to replace the ears, but will when his and my schedules permit.

The kit is slightly bigger than other kits, but it is in no way FX big. I had to use FX shoulder bells on mine, because the included bells kept popping off my arms. I did not have to shim, and trimmed down some things, like the forearms, to fit.

If you are athletic, or husky, this kit will fit you better than the pure movie-accurate ones. 

Edited by Obey Wann

It's not bigger than an accurate trooper, nor is is easier to build. NE is a recast and despite their modifications there are some things you can't avoid.

It's not bigger than an accurate trooper, nor is is easier to build. NE is a recast and despite their modifications there are some things you can't avoid.

I did quite a bit of research into different vendors and sadly, that information wasn't found when I purchased my set.  It may have changed the kit I went with.  I only hope that others in the community do not look negatively on me for having this kit.

I have, however, been fortunate to benefit from other New NE build threads on the forum and continue to learn from them.  I also hope that my own build thread will help others that get this kit.

Hey, It was great meeting you Jon! I'm the incinerator trooper with the ammo pouch falling off my shoulder/chest in the picture lol...The NE armor looked great on you!

I'm ROTFL wrt to the pauldron as that's happened to me too - e.g. you're at a troop and the one photo that's taken is when some part is not quite agreeing with you. I remember one time as a sandy I took my pack off after a long troop, and going back out I forgot to put my pauldron on. Tons of great garrison pix, but there is me as a pauldron-less sandy. The shame!

WRT to NE, it's all in the beholder. Yes, there are parts that are pretty clearly marked as being recast. Yes, it's an idealized sculpt. But, if put together right can certainly be 501st acceptable. In the end it's your kit - you put it together - go have fun with it! Of *course* you can upgrade later if you wish. That's 1/2 the fun - start wit the basics, troop the crap out of it, then upgrade as time/budget allow. Nothing says it has to be perfect out the gate. Here is me before my first troop ever circa 2005.

DSC02374.jpg

Here is me with a few upgrades:

Troopergreen-vi.jpg

Then in full new TE2 kit circa 2008

dsc00229rt2.jpg