Received my AP Fully Trimmed Kit...Now what?

Bumtargets

I have just received my Authentic Props pre-trimmed kit in the mail. I have to be honest, I have no idea where to start. I know a few basic things that I need to purchase to complete the kit (velcro, paint, glue), however, I don't really know where to begin. I have looked around the forums a little bit but haven't seen any sort of step by step guide for building the AP kit. Mark suggested that I search these forums but I've been unsuccessful so far. 

Does anyone know of a guide or anything that might give me a good starting point?

Thanks everyone!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

There is no way in one thread to explain the different directions you will need to go in. Knowledge is power and the link above is the source. Look up and read any/all AP builds and you will become familiar with the different methods people have used to accomplish the same goal. You will then see what approach fits you best

I have to agree. Have a read through and bookmark the various AP builds. Look and see what others have done and then at some point jump right in.

For me I went with helmet first. I wanted the soul of the kit to come from the classic stormtrooper helmet. From there I picked off a few easy things like hand plates and TD. At some point you're gonna have to move into harder territory and size, mark,measure, measure, cut, barf and repeat for the limbs.

Good luck!

I'd say, don't restrain yourself by looking at AP build only. In the end, we all tend to the same result, no matter from which armor maker the armor comes from. There are specific issues that come with AP so yes look at some others AP builds but in the end the basis are the same for all.

The main ressources i used:

- The "photos References" here on the FISD are priceless. To be checked before all the rest! (you can zoom all the images by right-clicking them): http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

- The Stukatrooper's albums on Flickr (easy to find with google)

- The Geaux Saint's TM build here on the FISD

- The OsotheBear's build and Jancelot's are also great AP builds with a lot of pics

- The EIB & CENT applications are also useful (always look at the Photo References first though).

In the end, you can always ask here, there should always be a kind soul to answer you ;)

For me I tried to start any trimming with the "easier" pieces (meaning I didn't touch the helmet until the very end). For me the torso parts were easy: chest, back, butt, kidney, cod/ab. 

If you're really nervous about making the first cuts or anything the way that I was, I would recommend looking up your local garrison and seeing if anyone would be willing to guide you a bit. For me it helped a lot just to get my hands on someone else's armor and see first hand what they did and decide what I did and didn't like about it. 

My suggestion would to find a person in your local garrison who is a TK and buy them a few beers and hopefully they are willing to help you get started. Once they set you in the right direction, it gets alot easier to glue, cut and make holes in the ABS. I got lucky and the first accepted Centurion in the US lives right down the road from me so it was a slam dunk once I got some guidance from him.

I started with using E6000 glue, if it goes FUBAR you just simply rip it all up and start all over again :)
My first thing i did was the lower arms and upper arms, they are smaller and easy to handle with.

after that i found the skills growing and from there i just started to build like crazy :)

Its very easy if ya use the inside off the head and take it slowly and if something gets stuck you ask cos you will be heard.

I use Tin snips shaped like common scissors.

allows for complete cuts in a fashion like most are used to cutting paper.

for the areas that I can't cut with scissors I use a set of curved modeling scissors.

finish off with some 60 grit sandpaper.

if you have the proper measurements I can build it for you!~

sometimes the basic trim that mark does only fits smaller armed people.

he cuts the forearms really close to the line where you might need 11" diameter forearms.

I start by cutting the finishing strips for the arms 5/8" then cutting the leg strips at 1"

sand and cut the finishing strip on the dull side- since strips have a shiny side and a dull side.

trim the finishing strips for the biceps. and glue one side on first, then the other sides.

think of each part as 1/2 of the other parts.

line up the biceps from the bottom up

line up the forearms from the wrist

line up the shins from the top down.

line up the thighs from the top down

ask any questions with a photo.

return edges on the parts can be shown in the photo gallery.