Should I Build a TK or a TD Sandtrooper?

Hello all,

I'm hoping you all can help me decide between building a:  TD Sandtrooper, ANH TK, or ESB TK.

I just can't seem to decide on which TK or TD I want to build.  I'm asking here because all TD's and TK's start here at FISD.  I know that I don't want to spend the money or time building multiple kits, so that is out.  I know that I don't want to build a ROTJ kit, because I don't like how skinny looking the torso and helmet are.  I don't care for the ANH Hero's bubble eyes, so that's out.  I've spent a lot of time overthinking my trooper build, honestly.

I plan on buying a TM kit, which makes a great TD, ANH TK, and ESB TK, imho.  I just don't know which style I want.  Originally, I was leaning towards ESB, but now I am considering Sandtrooper and ANH.  I have always loved both the Sandtroopers and Stormtroopers (never was a big Snow or Scout fan).  I'm told that there's not a big difference in trooping the TD, versus the TK, except for the backpack and the big gun (which are both optional).  I built a Tattooine style Mandalorian with a dirty look, so I'm sure I could build the TD.  Here are my primary pros/cons for the builds:

Weathering:  I love the TD weathering; it's nice to not have to worry about getting a scratch or dirt on the costume while trooping.  The ANH TK seems scratched up a little bit too, so a little less concern there.  The ESB TK's seem to be Pristine, New looking in the movie though.  ESB might be hard to keep looking good.

Gloves:  I hate the rubber gloves that ANH TK and TD use because of the sweating, but I would only use them for photo shoots.  The Nomex Flight gloves or UA Lycra gloves are what I would likely wear.  I love the ESB Silk/Lycra gloves, but they aren't very durable supposably.  I will be trooping with a deactivated Sterling conversion SOMETIMES, so the gloves may get tugged at some.

Handguards:  I like the idea of having flexible latex handguards (ANH style), but I am concerned that they might deteriorate over time (I'm ok with repainting though).  The plastic ESB hanguards are larger, stiffer, and seem like they may be more noticeable to wear.  Neither style really grab the average person's attention, so comfort & durability is more important than appearance to me.

Frown:  The ESB black is more menacing, but the gray adds a nice balance of color to all the black.

Holster:  I won't lie; it'd be nice to have a holster for trooping, when I need my hands free.  The TD doesn't have a holster, but the bigger guns have slings.  I could also rig up a mount on the backpack to hold the E-11.  I like the look of the ESB holster on the right side, but it doesn't offer anymore of an advantage because the blaster sits in it backwards. So it's going to be an awkward draw no matter what.

Pauldron:  From the TD folks I talked to, this doesn't make much difference on comfort or movement restriction (if elastic is used).  I love the look of it because it adds some color and variation to the kit.

Pouches or Drop Boxes:  I like the pouches better because they add some color & texture, as well as functionality.  The inner drop boxes give you a little bit of awkward storage space, but the pouches are more functional.

Variety:  TD wins hands down on this.  You have so many gizmos, guns, and variations.  You could be 20 different on-screen troopers with just a few changes of pouches, pauldrons, and blasters.

Thermal Detonator or Backpack:  Thermal Detonator is obviously more comfortable.  I like the simplistic detail of it.  The backpack is really cool, but I'm not going to be wearing it for long periods probably (it's 10 pounds for an accurate one supposably).  On the other hand, it gives the option of storing water, personal items, blasters, etc.  The backpack is optional for some TD builds, but I think it is lacking something (like a detonator lol) without a pack.

Various other nuances:  the TD is missing the plastic shoulder straps (this is probably slightly more comfortable?).  Different knee plate (both look good imho).  less helmet detail (not noticeable with all the weathering and other details).  less abdominal detail (looks fine with weathering imho).  The electrobinoculars are a cool addition, but not something I'd want to troop with all day unless I mounted them to the backpack.

E-11 Blaster:  I love the simplistic look of the ESB style, but I love electronics... and the Hengstler counter on the ANH style gives so many options for mounting LEDs, display screens, etc. for a fun trooping blaster.  I plan on having two E-11 blasters:  one for looks, the other for fun. :)

Other things about my SW likes:  I love Jawas, Tuskens, and Tattooine in general.  I also love the Sith, Boba Fett, the Empire, Star Destroyers, and the Death Star.  So I could definitely fit into both environments well.

It's such a tough decision!  I want to order my kit soon, but I don't know which style lol.

Two days ago, I was 100% planning on going ESB.  Yesterday and today, I'm leaning towards a TD with Nomex gloves with plans of trooping both with and without the backpack.  And my second choice today is ANH instead of ESB; where did that come from!?!

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  Hope you guys are able to help me decide.. based on experience and judging from my likes/dislikes.  Thanks guys! :)

You're overthinking this. What is the Force telling you?

Do you prefer scenes from Tatooine? Do you like weathered beat up military models or sleek space ships? Would you mind going in a mercenary laden Cantina and messing with people? Would you ride a dinosaur?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Lol I'm most definitely overthinking this;  having a hard time turning it off though.  Especially since these kits are so darn similar lol.  This is why I had to post something, to help back off from overthinking it. :)  I overthink a lot of things, and it's sometimes difficult for me to just chill out.  I guess the differences are so minimal, that I need to decide based on what is Fun to me. :)

Who wouldn't ride a dinosaur?  :D  I've always preferred more weathered Star Wars costumes.  My Mando is a heavily Tattooine weathered, Boba Fett style merc.  Tattooine is easily my favorite planet in Star Wars;  no other planet comes close.  The Death Star is freakin' awesome too though.

Aside from the TK/TD suits being some of the cooler temperature costumes to wear here in FL, one of my other main reasons to wear it is the Iconic status & attention it gets out in local events.  I wonder if a TD gets more attention than a regular TK since they are less common... or if a TK gets more attention because they are more iconic.  :)  There goes that thinking again lol.

Anyone ever wonder what Sandtroopers look like when they have a Change of Station and leave tattooine?  Do they clean their armor, lose the pauldrons and backpacks; or do they keep it all? lol

I'd start out as an ANH TK. Build it up, troop it and try it out. If you still have the urge to get dirty, change out the sniper plate and ab details, remove the shoulder strap and break out the weathering materials. It's easier to go that direction than cleaning up your armour and after weathering. Plus, the initial cost would be less as you could put off buying the pauldron, pouches, pack and BFG. Also, it'd be pretty painless to go ESB down the road if you still have that urge. Good luck with your choice! Personally, I want to save up for a TM TK and then dirty up my existing kit. Best of both worlds. ;)

Do you want to look crispy clean or dirty. You could build a TK first and change it to a TD with a swap out of some parts and getting it dirty, bit hard to do it the other way. Good luck with your decision.

I call the TK the gateway drug anyway. Most everyone wants that first, then they start trooping, then they experience more and branch out to other suits...

I would definitely weigh your favorite scenes from SW and ask yourself whether TK's or TD's were involved. You'll be living those scenes and lines quite a bit once you are wearing the suit! I think TK is the safe way to go since you can always dirty it up and add the TD bits later (I feel like I've seen more people evolve that way with the two suits as well)... Besides style and build aspects, also consider troop aspects. Carrying the extra TD gear, seeing events in your area where certain characters are requested over others, etc. Again we're here for charity's sake, but your costuming mileage can vary greatly depending on what suit(s) you get out there in.

The one thing I DO like about TD's is the BFG. I rarely leave home without my DLT-19 and can get away with it thanks to a few quick moments from ANH.

Thank you guys!!! The questions about my favorite scenes and such helped me decide. I know that deep down i will always love the sand troopers, so i am going to go that route. Very excited about it. They stand out to me as both iconic, unique enough, weathered, and available for plenty of upgrades and options. It also helps that my wide is building a Jawa, but i didn't want that to persuade my choice. TD here i come!!!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

Since you've now decided, I've removed the poll options. You shouldn't need a poll anyway as it's entirely your own choice and not something for others to tell you what to do.

Well, I am happy to see the result of this thread ;)

But if still looking for opinions...

I think you should do what you feel like.

As opposed to many members here, I dont think going Sandtrooper is a matter of trying out Stormtrooper armor and then converting. I know I went that way, but only after a few years in TD armor, I realized that I always have been a Sandtrooper.

Cause it is not about the pauldron or the bfg. If it was that, there would be more HWTs in the Legion...

It is not about the weathering, cause most armors and costumes in SW are weathered, from TBs, to TS, to BH and Tuskens...

Becoming a Sandtrooper (specially a MEPD Sandtrooper) is a big big thing. We consider ourselves to be real Sandtroopers, not just troopers (no ofence intended to anyone). We consider ourselves to be part of a close brotherhood, a secret group, a gang of bad a***s. And a happy bunch of friends.

Why?

Just because it is really difficult to get spot on Sandtrooper armor, but we all stand next to every other guy to help them get there.

Being a Stromtrooper is the most iconic character and image across the galaxy. And most of us love it too. I am actually just building a TK armor as we "speak".

But being a Sandtrooper is something else.

Lots of guys you will find with both armors, but chances are that if they built an accurate Sandtrooper armor, that guy will claim to be a sandtrooper... There is a sense of achievement that makes us feel really attached to our armor and character.

yes, it sounds weird and cant be really explained here, specially in a forum dedicated to all kind of stormtroopers but the Sandtrooper. But that is no coincidence either...

And just to mention it, actually the FISD came after the MEPD. And yes, a big many Sandtroopers come from here, but also, there are many more that went directly into Sandy armor!

So...

:)

to finish the commercial... hehehhe...

Welcome to the dirty side...

You will enjoy it for sure. 

And if I may say so, do not leave the FISD either. Lots of great guys and great info here that need to be made part of your 501st and trooping experience!

Man, we both rock, each on our own style and way!

Saludos.

Juan

Great advertising Juan lol jk. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration.. I plan on building the best ANH tk I can here at FISD, except for the missing and different parts.. Then go to MEPD when its time to weather and add accessories. :)

Wtb reptile riding lessons and large prod

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

If you really want to go TD, you need to shoot for that specifically first. TD's have subtle differences that need attention to be accurate. You are lucky that Squad 7 has the 5 best TDs in the Garrison, Me, Haloes, Missing Pieces, Amp, & Stoles. I can definitely help with assembly & weathering. If you plan on staying TK, you have me, Wolfgar, Shutter, & Missing Pieces (He's a huge help) to assist you. Just let us know when you get your kit. ;)   

I like both, and they both have their own merits (I almost went with a TKC), but I picked TX for a reason. They draw the most attention. You stand out more when you're the only black or red Stormtrooper among a crowd of white ones. My $0.02

As others of stated before, it's your decision. No matter what you decide, you'll become the local celebrity in your neighborhood. But to answer your question of whether to build a TK or TD...I'd say start with the TK and go from there. Convert it to a TD when you feel like a change of pace is necessary.

Also, I like the big gun the TD carries.  :td:

Every build of Stormtrooper armor, whether it be TK TD or TX is going to be similar. You will pick up valuable information looking at any of these builds no matter what YOU build. It's just that there are a few distinguishing characteristics of each variant that you need to be aware of.

Edited by SolidScrafty

Since you've now decided, I've removed the poll options. You shouldn't need a poll anyway as it's entirely your own choice and not something for others to tell you what to do.

Isn't there a way to end a poll instead of remove it? Please don't ever remove someone else's poll again. It's rude. 

-Eric

Isn't there a way to end a poll instead of remove it? Please don't ever remove someone else's poll again. It's rude.

-Eric

No unfortunately there isn't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

• 1 month later...