Ales Thermal Detonator build (ATA)

Ales

I want to make the separate thermal detonator build topic as it could be useful for anyone searching the building of this costume element exactly. Of course it could be found in any costume build, but it need page-to-page surfing and may take a long time.

ATA kit comes without pipe piece, so it was a great challenge for me to get the 60mm outer diameter PVC pipe. In Russia there are 50, 63 and then 110mm standards pipe sizes only. Anyway I found 25cm length of appropriate pipe and that was enough for this purpose.

I use masking tape for cutting the pipe to the right length - 7,5'' (~19cm)

56387_original.jpg

First time the caps worn tight, so I use dremel sanding drum for making angle side of the pipe ends by the length of the caps. It allows to put on the caps easier.

56812_original.jpg

Checking the total length with caps on:

56867_original.jpg

57298_original.jpg

Cutted and fitted the control panel  57518_original.jpg

57954_original.jpg

I use the TK_LEPER video guide of how to make the TD clips, very very useful. Actually this is the one source where you can just follow his hands and you can get not a bad clips. Of course not so perfect like he doing :)

HERE is the link to his topic with video reference.

So, as I said, I just follow his hands and using almost the same tools. Two strips 10'' length, 1'' wide. The thickness should be 1mm or 1,5mm, but I found only 2mm thikcness at my local store. It require applying more force for bending but not a problem with vices. Also I have paint the pipe with humbrol grey using the airbrush.

58332_original.jpg

58414_original.jpg

Bending and cutting out the ends to fit the canister:

58624_original.jpg

Here it is:

59007_original.jpg

Glued panel using E6000. Be careful with glue and apply glue far from the edge so it not go beyond the edges. Glue dissolves paint and paint slides. Have to touch up again.

59192_original.jpg

Now I just paint the bolt heads in black color and will post the photo with result soon.

Looking good, just make sure there is enough gap on your clips to slide over the belt :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is much appreciated because only yesterday I bought my plastic pipe so I can start building my ATA kit. Thanks for showing the dimensions too, that was most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grey on the pipe should be the same grey used on your helmet for the traps and tears.

Edited by Khazid