AP ANH Thighs - incorrect assembly?

A fellow TK in my Garrison pointed out to me that my thighs may not be assembled correctly.  That they may not pass me into the 501st and certainly won't allow me to achieve centurion status (which is the ultimate goal here).

While I am indebted to my friend for pointing out a potential disaster, I am hesitant to rip it all apart after all the labor I put into it.  I have attempted to follow the CRL and have used screen shots to attempt to mirror how they looked in the film.

So I would like to hear from the FISD community.  Please advise.

The areas indicated with an arrow are in question as far as how the two halves line up.

The areas with a red line show what my plan was - and where I was going to sand the thighs down so that everything looked even.

7rHcVKq.jpg

i6vwI4y.jpg

IBDfooG.jpg

ZdZdfAc.jpg

R7v0EYs.jpg

1sKyU0W.jpg

iP5nsRB.jpg

bSoreqo.jpg

LXXUCJs.jpg

emo7Qlq.jpg

Hi, you don't have to trim any off the tops, just line them something like this. The finishing strip ends at the top of the bottom detail on the bottom of the thighs.The right thigh has quite a bit of extra material on the bottom, as you can see in the photo this will be hidden by the knee ammo pack.  Notice the detail on the bottom lines up where you have the red arrows, just line those pieces up.  The bottom of the left thigh may not line up perfectly.   Let me know if this helps.

Nick

AD8F8EF.jpg

MiyEJ1L.jpg

On 9/23/2013 at 9:19 AM, SCTrooper said:

Hi, you don't have to trim any off the tops, just line them something like this. The finishing strip ends at the top of the bottom detail on the bottom of the thighs.The right thigh has quite a bit of extra material on the bottom, as you can see in the photo this will be hidden by the knee ammo pack.  Notice the detail on the bottom lines up where you have the red arrows, just line those pieces up.  The bottom of the left thigh may not line up perfectly.   Let me know if this helps.

Nick

Is your TK an AP ANH stunt, Nick?

Thanks. So I guess I am wondering why can't I simply cut down the tops of the thighs to look accurate?

I mean, the parts where the arrows are on my pics are not formed exactly as they appear in the film so where is the standard coming from?

I would have to agree with your garrison friend.

The thighs are assembled with the inner parts placed too low.

You should take them apart and move the inside portions up to be even with the top.

sometimes people make the mistake of trying to line up the THIGH parts from the BOTTOM UP.

if you cut off the top of the thighs it won't make it look better, actually that would make them look worse.

you want the return lip left intact at the top.

actually the process is to line them up from the TOP DOWN.

I just finished a set of thighs, and I'm waiting for my camera batteries to recharge

I have planned some detailed shots of the inside and the outside of the top and bottom of the

right and left legs.

The back bottom of the AP thighs is usually cut off right near the edge of the block

to allow you to bend your leg

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Sigh. I spent so long working on these. What a waste. I wish *somebody*had mentioned this critical detail beforehand. There really needs to be more images on the CRL, from all sides, with details on what should line up with what.

A lot of wasted effort and materials.

I would have to agree with your garrison friend.

The thighs are assembled with the inner parts placed too low.

You should take them apart and move the inside portions down.

sometimes people make the mistake of trying to line up the THIGH parts from the BOTTOM UP.

actually the process is to line them up from the TOP DOWN.

I just finished a set of thighs, and I'm waiting for my camera batteries to recharge

I have planned some detailed shots of the inside and the outside of the top and bottom of the

right and left legs.

The back bottom of the AP thighs is usually cut off right near the edge of the block

to allow you to bend your leg

Like Vern says the parts are misaligned. The goal here is to help you make your armor look as good as it can. :)

Sigh. I spent so long working on these. What a waste. I wish *somebody*had mentioned this critical detail beforehand. There really needs to be more images on the CRL, from all sides, with details on what should line up with what.

A lot of wasted effort and materials.

It's not a waste, but a learning experience, your parts look salvageable, just take them apart. Should be an easy fix. I can't tell you how many times I had to resize and take things apart.  

kubMQNg.jpg

QaGsrI3.jpg

MWCD4Xv.jpg

1734HbP.jpg

you don't need to remove all the glue and be a perfectionist.  Just clean it up, and be happy with it.

that's one of the main reasons why we use E-6000. it's strong flexible and removable.

Novus polish and wetsanding goes a long long way.

Sorry Scott that I had to give you the bad news today. Like I told you at the armor party, I made the same mistake when I first assembled my AP kit, and was told to correct it by a Centurion. It's not the end of the world because you used E6000. Just take your time pulling them apart and clean off all the old gunk and line them up from the front tops. Everything will be ok. Here are a couple of pics of my Right thigh I showed him how they need to line up. Of course I've trooped a bit so they have been adjusted a few times.

post-18313-0-88050900-1379921218_thumb.jpg

post-18313-0-70083600-1379921233_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4165gorilla