Yet another Doopy's build with some added features

rarsenaux

This is my build which is 4 days in so far, about 12 hours total.  I won't be listing everything I do because that is well covered, but I want to highlight a few things I did on the tougher parts as well as some additional details.  Comments are very welcome!

Everything to this part is pretty standard.  For the bolt, I used a 1/2" CPVC Hot water coupling which fit perfectly after sanding around it to leave the bolt "stripe".

lNAGbs1.jpg

Next, I bent the coat hanger like this where the end is actually used as a pin to hold the lever.  This allows the entire bolt, spring, and lever to be removed if necessary.

iV0it66.jpg

gGT6s9J.jpg

hnvOTgG.jpg

I wanted the the folding stock to be somewhat functional, so I installed a cabinet roller clip (only the clip side, not the rollers) to insert into the small square cutout at the first barrel hole on the underside.  I also drilled the entire folding stock holes out and hollowed out the underneath.  I then inserted a cut ballpoint pen case to simulate a metal folding rod for the butt stock.

xIcluvg.jpg

LSTldxT.jpg

zrn12b9.jpg

cwIqRtY.jpg

MCFOLGe.jpg

X96QAzM.jpg

mNlTHJg.jpg

Painted Stock

o1OrZJh.jpg

DraPwuR.jpg

For the functional ARS switching lever, I simply screwed a flat headed screw the same size as the lever bottom into place and superglued the lever on top.  It does not click, but it is functional.

mhbtX1U.jpg

Here are heavy weathering pictures which is where I would like to hear your opinion.  I really like the heavy weathering, but I feel it might be too much for a shiny trooper.  Thoughts?  The fins are still flat black, and the grip is gloss.

qt24a5y.jpg

hHHb64u.jpg

MnoLp9l.jpg

0pCqQaU.jpg

5AzD5AX.jpg

iU0JxzI.jpg

iLIAWbK.jpg

LG5ZVpe.jpg

p9BUosx.jpg

uhPdKI2.jpg

MU1bjqA.jpg

Plh4K3X.jpg

lmLS2b1.jpg

skzrMB4.jpg

4Eun6zm.jpg

Nicely done trooper. Great looking blaster you got there. I do agree that the weathering was a bit much though... awesome build.

-Eric

Nice build, with nice details...(the rod for the folding stock I particularly like ;-))....and the locking mechanism, I´ll probably copy on my own..

Re. the paintjob, I prefer subtle weathering, unless you are a sandy.......

but great job!

Personally I have never liked the heavy weathering on guns. It just looks wrong, and weathering like that, would never happen on a real gun.

I have had some really beat down guns in my hands, but none have looked like that.

If you want heavy weathering, at least concentrate it around all the "moving" parts and edges. Thtas where weathering like that will occur in real life ;)

Maybe add a scratch or two here and there on the barrel/receiver, but nothing more.

Otherwise, I love the detail you have put in to this. Absolutely awesome :D

I totally second what Morten just said, and when you do weathering, be very cautious as to not make it look like it has been painted on (using too much paint at the time)....-)

Thanks for the input, and I agree on the weathering.  I am redoing with subtle weathering around the edges.  I am also switching out the spring for an actual spring.  Working on the scope mount today, and hopefully will have everything assembled and re-weathered soon.