Why the three piece helmet?

Because it's harder to vac form the cap and back as one piece. Or so they say. How amateurs are able to do it in their garages with relatively low-tech equipment is left unanswered.

It started with the FX or Marco helmet in the 90's btw.

It's not that its harder to do, its that whenever the cap and back are pulled together it leaves a thinner spot on the dome, even with the .090 thick abs.  The 3 piece design was done so that every piece will stay as thick as the rest.

It is, and that is why the design was changed to be more accurate.  But unlike the movies, we actually have to aim for a long term life out of the armor, and with trooping and use, we thought the benefits of making it more durable outweighed the perfect accuracy.  Obviously it wont be the choice of a lot of troopers, but that's why the LITE (headless) kit is offered :)

It's not that its harder to do, its that whenever the cap and back are pulled together it leaves a thinner spot on the dome, even with the .090 thick abs.  The 3 piece design was done so that every piece will stay as thick as the rest.

How do you reckon? I've seen these helmets being made, and both armor makers said getting the helmet off the mold is the hardest part of it. I think it was all about ease of de-molding really, and perhaps too that it's easier to pull. Getting clean pulls on the old vac table like they had back then was non-trivial.

Of the THOUSANDS of two piece helmets that are owned by troopers here on the FISD, there has yet to be a thread titled, "MY STUPID HELMET HAS A THIN SPOT..HOW DO I MAKE THIS NOT THIN???"  Of all the helmets I have built, the thickness of the one piece cap-n-backs have been uniform.