How do I install split rivets!?

tightlines

I have my armor ready to put together and I am ready to do the strapping, rivets and details.  I have TM armor from Paul and I will be going for centurion.  The big problem I have is how the heck do I use the split rivets without wrecking my armor?   I have tried using a screw driver/chisel to bend them down but it seems like one side is always a major problem.  I know there is a tool you can buy for 40.00 but man there must be an easy way to do it.  I want to do it right and my test rivets all ended up very poorly.  If anyone has any help on this I sure would appreciate it.  I am sooooooo close and I don't want to mess up the armor.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim

Hi Tim, I use a short handled Philips screw driver. I place the point between the arms of the split rivet and lightly hammer down until the point of the screwdriver hits the back of the rivet head. This spreads the arms out enough to then I simply hammer the arms directly until they bend against the back of the armor. I also place a piece of wood under the head so that it doesn't get marks from any other hard surface. The wood is soft enough and should indent slightly from the head.

I must be missing something because I suck at it.  I have my TM armor finished except for strapping and accents to make EIB and Centurion. I have tried a couple of sample rivets and it seems like one of the arms of the rivets bends first and the second is next to impossible to fold over without screwing up the armor.  I tried a pliers and it mars the heck out of the rivet even with tape or a cloth behind it.  Can anyone direct me on how to buy the stupid tool to install them?  I am so close and don't want to wreck my new armor for a detail.  I will try the short handled Philips driver Francisco.  Do you by any chance have a photo of the one you use?  I am desperate!!!!

• 4 weeks later...