Opi Wan´s Bapty No.2

Hi this weekend I finished my new bapty (Tunesia) Blaster. I made it again on a Doopydoos Base.

I tryed to rebuild an m38a2 scope, its not totaly perferct, but its only the spacer til I found a real one!

I Painted the first layer just Black and as you can see the frontpart of the blater with a mix of Vallejo Dark fleshtone and Gunmetal to emulate
the look of the Used Metal, the rest was just silver. After drying I made a little silver dry prushing on some edges of the brown metal and made one layer
clear varnish allover the Gun.Now I used sone colorstop everywhere I dont want do have black color.
The next was a trick of Felix, to get some texture for the black colore. I used Hammerite and after some minutes of drying I dappled ( I hope it is the right word )
allover the hammerite color. The rest was just panting black remover the colorstop and added some highly diluted parasite Brown to emulate a little corrosion.

utgdfbk8.jpg
jz4yrc4l.jpg
f7h77w2r.jpg
kp3z7idg.jpg

rnr9ua44.jpg

adb656xy.jpg

28hsuqkp.jpg

2rftnn4k.jpg

t3fmg76g.jpg

o2hwnql2.jpg

nwcd9zan.jpg

55oczr8c.jpg

nwmp8gzl.jpg

ddenu5yb.jpg

kxxs8sy3.jpg

qtiyk82q.jpg

kfbl4k65.jpg

Greeting Alex

Alex, loving the Bapty blasters that are now starting to be reproduced, great work mate :duim:

Just curious about the M38a2 scope you mentioned, have you got any reference shots of one on an original Bapty's or screenshots of this scope being used on any E11's used on screen?

Would be great to see for future reference :)

Edited by Billhag

Arrh, OK, that's one of 'The Prop Store Of London' offerings :rolleyes:

They've put a couple of these up for sale over the years and whilst I totally agree on their assessment that the main body of the examples shown have been 100%, without question, original 'Bapty & Co.' made blasters they have also stated the follwing to cover their backsides ;)

"When we discovered the weapons sadly all of the original components from each of the blasters had been long since stripped and removed. What was great to see was that markings from the original rivet that held the top rail in place just in front of the rear site were still visible.

This blaster has been faithfully restored with replica dressing parts to complete the look of the Stormtrooper blaster. The parts are extremely accurate to the originals."

It's a well known fact that when the all the Sterlings and other blasters were returned to Bapty's they were stripped back down removing any 'add-on's' so that they could be put back in stock and used on other film productions when needed.

This means that any of the built for Tunisia examples and any other Sterlings they may have provided would be missing scopes, scope rails, counters, T-Track, Power cylinders, etc.

The Prop Store (or the original seller) replaced the missing parts with 'as used' authentic or replicated pieces to add credence (and value of course) to the items that they were auctioning.

I'd say that they got it totally wrong (which wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: ) with using a M38a2 scope.

In all my years of research and obsessing over the E11 I have yet to see any on screen examples, or any evidence that as clearly shown that the M38a2 or any of the other variants such as M40a2, M47a2 M77C, M77D were used during filming.

(if anyone as any examples, please feel free to let me know because I would genuinely love to see them and I really do mean that)

They probably couldn't find a M38, M40 at the time and just went with what they thought would be OK (Hey!, it's a REAL scope and who's gonna tell the difference anyway?!!!).

You have built a fantastic replica mate and I truly love the work and detail that you've put into both the Bapty's that you've done, but I personally think you should stick to the known originals and not what The Prop Store have shown as their 'interpretation'.

Alex, you don't have to have an 'original' M38 / M40 (unless you want to of course B) ) there are some great, clean and accurate copies out there that can look just as good when detailed right.

As I said, always go to the original source for research, that should be a paramount rule for EVERYONE.

Peoples interpretaions can be misleading and should always be used purely as a guide.

:)

SDE11Scopes02_zpsabbd0d90.jpg

SDE11Scopes01_zps05946683.jpg

SDE11Scopes04_zps54cfadd3.jpg

SDE11Scopes03_zpsbad8b682.jpg

New-BaptyampCoE1109_zpsd0c09e71.jpg

and one that I know you've studied but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure :D

New-BaptyampCoE1108_zpsa23280a0.jpg

:)

• 3 weeks later...