TK-6427 Death Trooper Build

Ok!!

Finally posting up the Build Thread!!

My first TK was a set of Pirate Trooper (PT) Armor.  Got it before I found the FISD, and before I learned about recasters. Regardless of where you stand on that topic, I made do with what I had. And I trooped in it quite a bit! Being that it was thin HIPS, it eventually started cracking. Eventually I had new cracks at every troop I went to. I reinforced, repaired, and reglued it, but eventually I retired it; no Shiny TK should be so marred. Though I kept the set and knew that one day I would transform it into a Death Trooper.

So, slowly but surely, I've started down that process... And I figure it's high time to start documenting the build.

I'm basing the look on the GG Bust and Statue, and Marty's Build, and adding a few changes here and there.

The PT set was a Glossy white HIPS so I dremeled into everything and sanded the finish down, and then used a Rustoleum Heirloom white as a first coat. Not completely covered, but most of it for sure!!

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

Death Trooper Tree!!

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Then I used the Death Trooper Color Chart

And began laying down some color (to be later sanded down)

IMG_2739.jpg

Good enough for now!

More to post later today!!

- Berban

Edited by Berbs42

My wife helped me sand down the spray-painted coats... Brought out some nice textures in the paint...

Handplates...

IMG_2751.jpg

Calves...

IMG_2748.jpg

Right Forearm...

IMG_2754.jpg

Left Shoulder Bell...

IMG_2755.jpg

Right Shoulder Bell...

IMG_2757.jpg

Love the colors there!!

========

I defined the cracks and gashes with a black wash, and she brushed on a few other washes, sponging off the excess...

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

We'll go back and lighten some of the cracks and maybe even take back some of the color.

I didn't want to destroy the PT Bucket since it was my first TK (and was still in decent shape), so I found some other rather cheap HIPS pulls from fleabay (figured I could tear these up plenty). But while at another Trooper's house working on this, he realized he had a TM bucket that was had some warping around the right earcap from getting too close to a heat gun. So I think I'll practice on the HIPS and go for it on the ABS TM.

IMG_2777.jpg

Means I'll end up with way more buckets than I anticipated!

IMG_2781.jpg

(Front to back: Fleabay/MTK/PT/Fleabay/TM)

More updates soon!

LaterDays!

- Berbs

Edited by Berbs42

I recently made some dumb comment on the legion boards to the effect if "Don't worry about nit picking death trooper approvals, how many of them will there really be?"

After I made that faux pas a handful of them came out of the woodwork. Boy am I going to be wrong.

Looking good trooper. Can't wait to see the final project.

-Eric

I love the paint job! 

I'm coming up on my 3rd anniversary of having the suit. One thing I've found is that you need to be REALLY careful around the heavily chewed up spots. HIPS and ABS alike crack easily when you score through most of the armor ;)

I've had to reinforce mine from behind with spare plastic in a bunch of spots, especially where the damage is near the edges. You may want to save yourself future trouble and do the same.

• 1 month later...

Test Run Photos from the last hour of this past weekend's Con. (Alamo City Comic Con)

:smiley-sw013:

Still need to weather the belt, create some shims between the Ab and Kidney Plates, and add semi-permanent connections between components (i.e. elastic with snaps instead of velcro...) that's why the right bicep turned around on me. :peace:

1379603_10101111947550245_237225209_n.jpg

TrooperAC_Units.jpg

Edited by Berbs42

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far so good, BUT I'm going to reinforce them anyway... My armor was EXTREMELY fragile when it was shiny already. I know it won't take much to snap it where I've weakened it further.

:)

- Berbs