Helmet Lining options

I am looking at the options for the helment. I have the hard hat liner, but I don't like it.

I am thinking pipe insulating foam for the top, but can't think of what will keep it from woobling.

More foam on the side?

Or is the hard hat liner better in that it will allow for more air flow?

Personal choice. I hate the hard hat liner and will never use one, but others swear by them.

I just got some foam and created my own padding - one on the top and one on each cheek. Lots of air flow. Some guys prefer a tighter fit and get pads from a motorcycle or cut up a batting helmet for a more snug fit.

In the end every head is differnet and you'll have to custom cut & fit the foam to fit the helmet to your noggin. Hot glue seems to be the favorite adhesive, though an alternative is to put velcro on the inside of your helmet and velcro the pads in place.

And if you want to go nuts, some guys paint the interiors of their buckets and put logos (cogs) etc. before adding the padding.

This is a great time to show off the insides of your lids guys :)

I personally like the hard hat liner because I sweat like crazy. I wouldn't want to deal with yanking out and replacing foam that has a funk :blink:

The plus to foam and foam like substances is you don't have the bobble head affect.

I have a military hat liner... thing my friend gave me. It's too awesome for words. I don't know where you can get one, but my other choice was the foam, seems a lot more comfy, though I am a sweaty bastage and would need to air it out all the time.

• Like 1

I do a lot of bike riding and allways have a sweatband under my helment, and that helps with keeping the sweet out of my eyes, and keep stinking up the helment also.

I was think foam and some like this on my head for the sweat:

-----------

or a Halo sweat band which works great (http://www.haloheadband.com/products.html)

I used one with my Jayne Cobb Wool hat (from firefly) at Dragon Con, and it worked great.

For version 0.1 I am going with the foam, and intake and outgoing fans.

Where is a good place to get the foam for the cheeks?

thanks for all the info so far!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I use sweatbands or bandanas as my sweat control mechanisms. B)

Good idea about an intake and outtake fan. I used to have both my fans pulling air in and it really started to feel a bit suffocating, not to mention it didn't help with the lenses fogging.

I personally didn't put foam in the cheeks of my helmet. When I have my neck seal on, it keeps my helmet for bobbling around.

My lenses were taped in over a year ago and still holding up strong - no worries there mate. But I would trim your bottom edge trim so there is no overlap though...

• 2 weeks later...

I use the hard hat liner. Though this is somethin that not everyone agrees on, it's the best for me. Looks good too. If you want foam and want to cover it, try using headliner material. You can get it at Wally World in the fabric section. It's the stuff they line the ceilings in cars with. Also get a can of spray adhesive. Looks awesome.

I am currently using the hard hat liner, but the jury is out... I think I glued the clips a little to far forward, as it hits my chest armor to much. I might be going to foam, looks cleaner when you show your helmet off to a kid.

StaticGuy said:

I do a lot of bike riding and allways have a sweatband under my helment, and that helps with keeping the sweet out of my eyes, and keep stinking up the helment also.

I was think foam and some like this on my head for the sweat:

---------

or a Halo sweat band which works great (http://www.haloheadband.com/products.html)

I used one with my Jayne Cobb Wool hat (from firefly) at Dragon Con, and it worked great.

For version 0.1 I am going with the foam, and intake and outgoing fans.

Where is a good place to get the foam for the cheeks?

thanks for all the info so far!

That bicycle helmet liner will only make my head hotter...I am an ultra endurance athlete and have thousands of hours using such items...I only will use these to keep my head warm, and it never really kept the sweat out of my eyes...but thats just my head, everyone's is different

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 13 years later...
8 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Hope everyone's doing well. It's good to use  the time in self quarantine to work on the build. 

Still waiting for my weld nuts to come in for the helmet lens mounts, been roughly over a month and they're still on back-order, big bummer.

I was thinking about liner options for the helmet, and I really didn't want foam inserts or anything that would make me heat up, I pretty much sweat only on my head, and quite a bit too, so i definitely wanted some air-flow and after much research here, I opted to use a hardhat liner. The liners are fairly cheap, almost universal, but the tricky part was attaching it to the helmet itself with the ability to replace the harness when worn without un-gluing, so I made these key slot clips. 

RXFh1zz.jpg

acLgdWa.jpg

avp02E5.jpg

jNt8ijx.jpg

Just recently did this to my helmet - I used this thread to help me make my lining choice so I thought posting this here might help someone in the future with some ideas.

Edited by fishgoh0nk
spelling
  • Like 2