Yet Another DLT-19 Build

Allerg3n

Quick update - finished the gun this weekend.  Big post with lots of pics inbound soon.  Had to make a few sacrifices (and discovered that I misaligned my barrel holes) but I think it easily passes the 5 Foot Rule and it looks pretty badass to boot.

Standby...

Edited by Allerg3n

Big [PIC HEAVY] post inbound...  I'll leave descriptions a bit short and try to let the pics speak for themselves.

Picking up from where my last post left off, at this point I started to build in the attachment for the legs.  I carved out the front PVC piece and ran a screw through it, and sealed it with epoxy putty.

gCF5LKsl.jpg

TO51TmRl.jpg

Used a piece of scrap oak as the coupler for the legs. I was a dullard and did not take pics of carving.  In order to make the legs functional, I drilled a 3/8" hole lengthwise through the coupler and carved a perpendicular channel into the hole. Then I used some 3/8" dowels and crafted a T-shaped axle.  Some pics of the T-part:

ZIa8DJsl.jpg

GOgDFiil.jpg

You can see the nut resting in the top of the T section below. That's what screws into the PVC above.

Sf7cGjql.jpg

I cut the angle brackets to the proper length and joined them together with some pins, nuts, and magic. A little sheet metal trim later and I ended up with this:

Back (faces the underside of the barrel when closed)

6TNXN4Yl.jpg

Front

xeOLfU0l.jpg

Magical contraption in the open position:

qcE8wndl.jpg

And closed:

BYLtT9Ml.jpg

Recessed channels on either side to allow legs to expand:

tqm6VqIl.jpg

pTA3QGIl.jpg

Used another piece of dowel and a thumb screw to secure them to the barrel:

BQloyUnl.jpg

Then, on to carving the sights.  I started taking short cuts here because I'm rapidly running out of time to complete all these projects by Labor Day, and I honestly could take another 6 months just to finish the detail work on this gun. Sights were all carved out of spare balsa wood or pine.

Front sight closed:

I53ti2Dl.jpg

Front sight open:

UX4oSzCl.jpg

Fun perspective shot;

MGcDIehl.jpg

Rear sight closed. This is not as complete as it could be (the wing attachment to indicate distance isn't there) but I can always carve that and add it later.

ikhPaptl.jpg

4KFEKu8l.jpg

3HRH5aOl.jpg

Rear sight open:

rpHKUI3l.jpg

USL9E2pl.jpg

wxE7J6Rl.jpg

More detail work...

Carved a notch into the rest for the rear sight:

qwLilSdl.jpg

Added the ejection hole (props again to Vince):

PHEiNG5l.jpg

Underside of leg attachment piece:

jCvlVayl.jpg

I narrowed the strap attachment on the main barrel:

in19Zu0l.jpg

And on to things that were irritating me. The rear metal piece had gone all wonky when I first attached it and was not sitting level with the top of the gun.  So I popped it off and shimmed it up, then re-set it with JB Weld.  Nice and level now.

OlQNbN3l.jpg

Repair from the side:

r9Krw5Ul.jpg

The unscathed side (for reference):

J7s5NbPl.jpg

Corner shot of the repair:

NLiMA8Wl.jpg

I added a "screw" disc to the top piece. This is attached to the wooden side because I need to open it to get to the electronics.

c0hd8dgl.jpg

Next I carved grips. This was done freehand using a Dremel (it shows), but from 5 feet away you can't much tell the difference.

vPqdYGDl.jpg

KGy2Dqrl.jpg

xnhc58yl.jpg

Did the same to the butt of the gun, and installed a disc as well.  I thought this came out much better than the grips.

tviuTTXl.jpg

For T-Track, I decided I didn't want to shell out major $$$ for exact replicas, since this whole build is neat but not exactly exact.  So I took the more general advice to "find a rake" and dropped $10 at a hardware store.  Trimmed up the pieces and attached with superglue and wire.  You can also see in the following shots that I added some basswod to make the leg attachment piece stand out a bit more. This was glued on.

KKG21s2l.jpg

8wiy7yHl.jpg

687Dhq8l.jpg

GgpeRqgl.jpg

I noticed when trying to attach the T-Tracks that I had inadvertently misaligned the barrel holes when I first drilled it several months ago.  While this sucks, it's not *too* severe, and the added bonus is that my light effects will show through a bit more than they would have.  The downside is that I have no place to attach a wire around the leg attachment screw because there aren't any holes in the barrel nearby:

A6JJy4Cl.jpg

Rounded the edges on the legs:

XVADArml.jpg

Assembled immediately prior to painting:

u6DBBh2l.jpg

For paint, I chose black Rustoleum Primer and Rustoleum Oil-Rubbed Bronze. I picked Rustoleum because it'll cover just about anything and I'm using a variety of materials in the build.  Oil-rubbed bronze has a nice dark metallic look to it, so it comes out looking gunmetal black.  Like this:

Nw0xsYdl.jpg

YeL4gbIl.jpg

b59TDhnl.jpg

agQv6Ual.jpg

f7xJUvCl.jpg

vDgbJH7l.jpg

Pu9Glsxl.jpg

jePTBYcl.jpg

ZCOsFsBl.jpg

The butt only got primed - I didn't use the bronze on it.  I used some Raw Umber acrylic on it but it needs a bit more work to make it look like bakelite.

I was a dunce and didn't tape up some of my joints, so I'll have to sand those out (that's why the front piece is crooked and the barrel doesn't screw in all the way).  But all together, here's the "final" product (minus weathering and more "bake" in the bakelite):

qvHFptgl.jpg

HWtyc3El.jpg

XQp7BSMl.jpg

iXCsfe4l.jpg

rHooJ3cl.jpg

All that's left is the (minor) painting details, and a coat of semi-gloss polyurethane to protect it.  It's been a long road, but boy will it be fun to troop with a working DLT-19!

Thanks again everyone - looking forward to putting my armor together (hopefully it will go more quickly than this).

Thanks guys!  

Last build update - here's pics after weathering and clearcoating.  Weathering was pretty much a thinned out black acrylic wash (probably 25% acrylic, 75% water), followed up with silver drybrush, especially on raised areas.  I used a gloss clearcoat because it was the only thing we had lying around. Will probably re-coat with a semigloss eventually, but it looks badass enough for me right now.  She's finally done!

8zAfX35l.jpg

UlWHeJBl.jpg

JNnfhGBl.jpg

odx0Mval.jpg

LWojDOhl.jpg

VwOJuFsl.jpg

K9WaaaLl.jpg

6cm0JNnl.jpg

OR9iHT8l.jpg

Q77MZZtl.jpg

GnSgHndl.jpg

naDMPx6l.jpg

y6v9tJrl.jpg

Thanks again - moving operations to the armor assembly thread.  

salute.gif  peace.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Nice work it looks beautiful, especially the paint job.

I wish I had half the craftsmanship skills you have.

P.S. I also just recently got put on the waiting list for a set of ATA armor and 

in the mean time I'm going to pick myself up a Hyperfirm DLT-19 any recommendations?