Winter's ANH Stunt Build

Winter

I guess it is about time for me to start a build thread of my own.  They can be very helpful for getting feedback from members and constructive criticism.  I welcome any and all comments.

I started with a bucket from Scootch pulled in HIPS and let me tell you, this thing is great.  Nice clean lines and crisp detail, not to mention that he ships fast!

9694867681_711b282053.jpg

After spending 2 weeks scrutinizing every tutorial and build thread I could find I figured it was time to dive in and make my own mistakes.  

I wanted a shiny bucket but it seemed a shame to put white paint over nice white plastic.  But the HIPS is pretty dull so I went back to the forums with searches about polishing HIPS.  (Note: for all the other first time builders like me, 95% of your questions will be answered with the search function!)  After getting some good advice from other builders I went over all the pieces with 400 grit sandpaper.  After that I went over everything with 1000 grit wet sanding followed by 2500 wet sanding.  This makes the surface like glass but it still wasn't "glowing" like my spit-polished boots back when I was in the military.  To really bring out the shine i went over it with my Dremel with a polishing wheel.  If you try this, BE CARFEFUL!  Leaving the pad in one spot too long will make a tiny melted spot.  But with careful attention it is not difficult. 

Here is the end result of my polishing.  Not bad for HIPS considering I was told I would have to paint it to get a really good shine.  I plan on a coat of wax after I paint the details.

9694855039_ebd3b486ef.jpg

Edited by Winter

The mic wells are very thin points so I reinforced the whole chin area with a light coat of fiberglass resin and then painted it white.

9694854065_1f03a0102a.jpg

Is it me, or is it really nerve wracking when you start cutting holes in your faceplate?  

9694852831_a87859fa17.jpg

Any help on whether the teeth look good or not is appreciated.  I keep looking at them from different angles but I don't want to over file them.

9694849701_8386dc9c8b.jpg

Edited by Winter

Teeth and eyes trimmed and edges cleaned up.  I used my ubber-powerful rare earth magnets from K&J to hold it together.  Seriously, these things are so strong I can barely pry them apart.

9694851887_8d73a37163.jpg

Edited by Winter

Those are some of the best damned ears I’ve seen..  Great job!  Nice and snug, with hardly any gaps at all!

Thanks.  This was actually attempt number two.  My first attempt the plastic shifted as I was drilling despite the hot glue and clamps in the tutorial.  I thought it looked horrible so I took it apart and redid it.

Looking good, I would take out a little more from the teeth, you can make out the ridges still, nice work :D

Looking good, I would take out a little more from the teeth, you can make out the ridges still, nice work :D

Will do.  I was thinking the same thing.  But I figured I would ask some opinions since it is easier to take more off than put it back on!

Exactly the right thinking, best to have too much than too little. BTW I think everyone has had a panic attack went going to cut their bucket/armor for the first time, you did it right, researched first, well done and keep up the good work :D

You can still see the ridge inside I would go a little more, but they are fine the way they are

That's what I am hoping.  I think the flash from the camera is making it look worse than it is as well.  Here is the first pass with the paint.  I see some lines I will clean up with the second coat.

9707048596_ff687b0798.jpg
Edited by Winter

I agree, it was the flash, looming good, make sure the paint is really dry before adding the next coat as it can wrinkle ;)

I agree, it was the flash, looming good, make sure the paint is really dry before adding the next coat as it can wrinkle ;)

I'm following the great tutorials here and letting each coat dry a full day before applying the second.