Scratch Built MiniMag PTL Missile Launcher

I know I am really going about things the wrong way here.  This is my first post on the forum, I haen't introduced myself yet and I still haven't even got round to getting my Armour signed off by my local legion yet (there is a whole other story and a warning to others to read the FAQs).

However, kids come first and they were excited by the thought of having their own MiniMag so we spent a weekend or 2 planning and building it which has been a whole load of family fun.

Anyway, using the 501st screengrabs and amazing work done by board members like Heidi_L_Sorensen and DashRazor I put together a rough plan of what I wanted to achieve and began the build.   Main body is made from MDF rings with Ply panels.  For those in the UK, I based the tube body on the following parts from ScrewFix:

• FloPlast Soil Pipe Single Socket Black 110mm x 1m
  • Black Screw-On End Cap SP292
WIP1.jpg

WIP2.jpg

WIP3.jpg

WIP4.jpg

WIP5.jpg

Grip1.jpg

Grip2.jpg

I used DashRazors vent template and drilled and dremeled the vents out.

WIP6.jpg

I took a decision to move away slightly from the screen/game accuracy with the end cap as having a screw-on removable cap, it will let me store keys, wallet etc when trooping (assuming I ever get round to getting my armour approved and I know this is not an approved weapon for displaying).

I bought a pair of John Lennon glasses to use as the targeting lens and printed a red scope decal onto an OHP sheet which I sandwiched between the glued lenses.  One point to note here, I knew it before but still did it anyway is don't use SuperGlue (CA) as it clouds the lenses.

Lenses.jpg

Once it was all sprayed (I used standard Acrylic Automotove paint in Matt Black), here is what it looked like.

Final1.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final3.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final5.jpg

Final6.jpg

I added a shoulder support out of an offcut of door kick plate and used the same for the targeting visor (looks better than ply).

I have a few things still to do:

• Blue detailing on the "power packs"
  • Replace bolts on the viewfinder plate with rivets
...but overall I am happy with the build but I would love your feedback on how I can approve.

There was no chance the kids were getting their grubby mitts on it so I have started another build (Advanced Recon Commando Heavy Gun which I will post in another thread when finished)

Tangallio

Edited by tangallio

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Recently I have been contacting a fellow tropper and was interested in picking up his scratch build HWT Rocket Launcher. He was offering $100, but I would have to go where he is and pick it up. From where I am in OH to Flint, MI would be 3 and half hour drive x2, plus gas and tolls. I'm now gravitating towards bulding my own. The main PVC drainage pipe looks pretty easy to pick up and couplings. The details, like the middle box, wouldn't know how to get that. I have a hard rubber 9mm Beretta (used for hand/hand practice fighting) that I can use for the pistol grip. Can you help me our point me in the right direction? I don't really have a wood shop or the right tools (that I'm aware of).