Why You Chose Your TK Armor

JohnG

Hey all!

I'm new here and I've been trying to absorb all the information here. It's enough to warrent a degree! Lol I hope I'm putting this in the right place, it seemed the most acceptable.

I've learned there are differences between the armors (ANH, ESB, ROTJ) and while I only know ANH has left handed holsters the rest Is still to learn. But to my question:

How or why did you pick which movie to emulate? Was it the style, the lore, favorite movie, pure aethethtics, or did it just happen that way? I figure by learninv why you all chose your given recreations it might help me choose a style so I can focus on that model specifically to start.

I chose ANH stunt for aestethics, because I think that particular TK armour and helmet are the ones that looks best, and the ones that was put most effort into. IMO the following two movies had stormtroopers that were not put the same amount detail and effort into. So short: I think they look better. I chose stunt because i prefer the flat lenses to the bubble ones...

From when t first saw ANH at the movies in 77 I wanted to become a TK so it was ANH for me, I have both Stunt and Hero versions , I prefer the lenses in stunt but the mean look of a Hero :D.

Well... the stunts are the most common and has the most reference material behind it.... but some people really really heart the look of the black frown ESB and clamshell handguards.. and others like the look of an ewok thumped ROTJ with all the rubber around the armor edges and the squished helmet. Totally personal preference. 

Me? I'm an ANH guy bigtime.... I like the look of the stunt the best... and my RT-MOD helmet looks better as a stunt rather than a hero. 

I admit... I've had days where I wish I had my holster on the right side though.

Aloha, 

-Eric

I choose black because regular white stormtroopers are everywhere, to me, bland! Grunts! when they take those group pictures at events its almost impossible to find yourself. we spec ops are gaining popularity. Sure white troopers are more recognizable to the general public but people are amazed at how shiny the black is.

It terms of maker I choose AM because I like the idealized "real life stormtrooper" symmetric look. I'm not a fan of the bumpy, wonky, one shot killed screen suits ;)

I chose ANH stunt because it was the first Stormtroopers that I saw when I first watched the movies way back. They were the first troops coming through the door. Plus I have heard the comment with hero builds that you never know there might be a rebel inside the armor. I'm pro Imperial all the way. In the end it's all down to personal preference. After all it's your armor.

I... no, WE, choose ANH Stunt because the first seconds in Star Wars ever we see the ANH Stunt TK's for the very first time and it marked us for life. 

In ESB the TK's were no longer a big deal.

In ROTJ... meh. 

People choose anything else than ANH stunt when they have feelings and thoughts, and let them control their decisions instead of just making the spontaneous choice. 

Wow, I see a lot of you guys had the same train of thought I did. I've been partial to ANH because it was my first experience with stormtroopers. Its what made it iconic and memorable and made it easy to recognize the "bad guy". Another reason is chronologically, start at the first then progress as it evolves.

I look forward to others chiming in with their reasons.

I have to say that Glen pretty much stole my answer.  LoL.

The moment that I saw the TKs pouring through the smoke on the Tantive IV back in 1977 at the age of 4 or 5, my life changed. 

My armor has not been fabricated yet, and I've been talking hero build the whole time, because to me that was what the TKs were really SUPPOSED to look like, they were the "ready for close-up" versions of the armor.  The thought that it could be a rebel in the armor had occurred to me already, but the point that the first ones you saw were stunts does make me take a second to reconsider hero vs stunt.  There are other hero armors visible in ANH... I've been looking a lot lately.  LoL.  There is a stunt in ANH that doesn't even have tube stripes on his helmet, and he is a pretty critical TK stunt - he stuns Princess Leia after the TK that sees her and tells everyone to set for stun gets taken out.

I'll have to go and look at the stunt CRL.  I've never read it.  From the moment I decided that I had to become a TK, I've been leaning towards the hero build because it was the "idealised" version.  Food for thought though.

Since I'm posting on the FISD, folks would probably start shooting me some ugly glares if I publicly tried to convince you to don TX armor. :rolleyes:  I originally wanted to be an ANH Hero TK, but I saw a deal on some red armor that I could not pass up. I have no regrets.

Edited by SolidScrafty

I've always been partial to the background characters of SW. My favourite figures were never Luke or Obi-Wan or Vader.They were always Walrus man,Hammerhead, other obscure characters.

When I got into trooping, my first was a Gunner.Virtually no screentime! TIE came next,again very little screentime.Long Snoot,..he has about 4 seconds! When I decided to do a TK,..well I just had to choose the least popular!

The 'ugliness' of the ROTJ grows on you,......eventually! :D

I've loved the ANH Hero from the first time I saw the move in '77. I much prefer the hero helmet in looks and that's what I'd most like to do. Some day...

At the beginning, I wanted a clone from ROTS. But, I saw my friend's TK and I fell in love with it. Weird thing, 5 years kater, I ended up by buying his armor.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as the OP.  New to TK's, planning my build, etc.  I'm buying up some parts here and there... but the fact remains:  I still don't know specifically what I want yet.

Having said that, my favorite TK's in order of most to least favorite are:  ESB, ANH Stunt, Shadow Stormtrooper, ANH Hero, ROTJ, then all others.  The Hero's bubble lenses look strange to me, but I otherwise love it.  Like clonetrooper buckets, the ROTJ helmet looks too formfitting to me; I'm a fan of the original bobble head buckets. :)

I'm going to build either an ESB, ANH stunt, or Shadow.  Leaning towards ESB or ANH because A) they're iconic to the original films and B) are movie canon.  I don't have any movie canon suits (just a Mandalorian and working on Darth Revan), and I feel like I'm going to be left out of certain events if I don't have one.  The shadow is very slick and eye grabbing, but lacks some of the detail... and I'm afraid that plastic will get too hot or fade in the sun here in FL.

I like ESB best because ESB is my favorite film, the black frown looks menacing, right side holster is practical for RH people, the gloves are more breathable while remaining screen accurate, the E-11 is more streamlined, and the slightly larger eye holes look better imho.  Many ANH stunts enlarge the eyeholes anyway, I'm noticing.  Plus I see the ESB troopers as being some of Vader's elite troopers (along with the Tantive IV troopers) because he could only bring a select few along with him on his mission to cloud city (or the tantive IV in ANH).

When it comes down to ANH stunt vs ESB, it comes down more to blaster, holster, and gloves for me.