emile1138's Stormie WIP

I've seen them mounted on approved costumes with the inside corners of the drop boxes mounted two different ways. In line with the inner corner of the first ammo box on the belt (like mine, pictured above), and in line with the outer corner of the first ammo box on the belt.

Is there only one way to do it? Because with what I've seen, they could go either way...

If you line them with the inner corner, it won't prevent you from getting basic approval and perhaps EIB too. But if you want it accurately positioned, it's better to line the drop boxes with the outer edge of the belt.

med_gallery_14191_17_5271.jpg med_gallery_12157_11_551617.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you mount your lenses to the foam around the eyes? This looks like it will maybe let a bit of airflow around the lenses, possibly keeping them from fogging up? Not sure, but if you don't adhere them completely , it may do the trick. Or do you have another reason for the foam inserts?

I'm going to be mounting the lenses directly to the foam, then adding another thin layer of plastic or something painted a different color to contrast the black, as a border around the lenses. This is all purely for looks. I'll be figuring out air flow and such later...

Right now, I'm just worried about getting it to look good. I'll worry about functionality as I go along. I've got a few Ideas on mounting fans right next to the lenses.... But that's for another time  ;)

If you line them with the inner corner, it won't prevent you from getting basic approval and perhaps EIB too. But if you want it accurately positioned, it's better to line the drop boxes with the outer edge of the belt.

I'm shooting for basic approval. I'm not interested in the upper levels of approval. That's why I lined them up the way I did :duim:

Great job so far...ya that helmet is a trip to build...did you get the longer ears..it look like it....the only thing i see is the cover strips..do they have 45s cut in them of flat?

Yeah, the ears assembled in the pictures are the "fixed" longer ears.

Which cover strips are you referring to?

Edited by emile1138

I would keep them exactly like you have them Caleb. They look great to me. Keep up the good work. Anxious to see more progress. :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Cantina Security

• 2 weeks later...

More progress!!

The helmet is about 3/4 of the way done. I just have to paint the ears and the vocoder, then finish the inside the way I want it.

Mesh inside the frown:

IMG_20140103_173614_zpssa0hljj9.jpg

IMG_20140103_173530_zpscrr0mzr9.jpg

Padding inside. I plan on adding more later...But this is what's in there for now:

IMG_20140103_173546_zpsg6kvyet3.jpg

And decals have been added to the outside of the helmet. Aside from the few details that still need painted, the bucket is almost done!
IMG_20140103_173409_zpsxf4egkgs.jpg

IMG_20140103_173451_zpsf9z3pcgs.jpg

IMG_20140103_173436_zpstpvs2x65.jpg

IMG_20140103_173420_zpsmnicvk1i.jpg

Painted the aluminum ab buttons!
IMG_20140103_143320_zpsmsnx50rq.jpg

Here's my question. How is the ab plate supposed to be trimmed/mounted? It's not big enough to just fit over the molded detail on the ab plate (pictured below). So do I trim it up to fit over the molded detail? Do I trim it down to a flat rectangle and just slap it on top of the molded detail?

IMG_20140103_135932_zpsssn7xugn.jpg

IMG_20140103_135914_zpsvsqhpi6e.jpg

I need a more experienced and approved 501st Stormtrooper to help me out and give me some guidance on this part...

Thanks!

Yeah, that's the reason for posting that picture. I ripped it apart, sanded it down, and it took two guys (four hands) to glue it together as close as possible, to get the least amount of gap between the cap and back...

It's still not perfect, but it looks good enough to help me sleep at night!|

Thanks!

The plan is to tear apart an Aker and hook it up with an iPod shuffle with the 40 minute Stormtrooper radio chatter loop running out of the TD while trooping. When it's finished, I'll post a video of it running.

Do you have a file? I've been looking for one for ages :s

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Do you have a file? I've been looking for one for ages :s

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

It's on the 501st forum. Search there. It's not to be linked publicly.

This is how you trim your button plates:

(pictures removed to save space)

Here are what my button plates look like after trimming:

(pictures removed to save space)

So, I had that picture on my computer. I printed it out even for future reference so I could use it when I get to the ab plate portion of the build.

Why did I ask for help on this? because apparently I'm dumb and didn't see that picture next to me at my desk when I asked the question, lol.

Thanks for the help in reminding me of this!

Got some more work done!

I've finished adding the decals. I hand painted the vocoder as well. It's a little rough around the edges, but it looks alright for my first attempt at this.
The ears are in the process of being painted currently, hence the blue tape on one of the pictures.
And also, the lenses have been added!
IMG_20140110_180751_zpsvaj0krtw.jpgIMG_20140110_180725_zpss6nagbua.jpgIMG_20140110_180707_zpsqdtcplq5.jpg

The ab buttons are painted and secured to the ab plate, which is now attached to the ab section of the armor.

Here's photos of the test fitting of the upper armor. In my opinion, I need to pull the shoulder bells in further than they are. I also still need to add the ribbed plastic shoulder straps.

IMG_20140110_171534_zps42wlfzxf.jpg

IMG_20140110_171540_zpsfrnuttpq.jpg

IMG_20140110_171551_zpsucpnl8q8.jpg

IMG_20140110_171601_zpsp2nfm81s.jpg

And yes. I am aware that I'm wearing my hand guards on backwards. That was an accident that won't be repeated...lol.

The gaps in the sides will be kept the way they are, but I am trying to find ways to get the tops of the ab and kidney plate to line up a little more than they do. Maybe some taut elastic?

What other suggestions do you guys have? I'm sure you have plenty to say... :rolleyes:

Edited by emile1138

But I eat them anywa

Sorry, I was in the middle of a thought and accidentally started typing it here. So I'm leaving it up there...

Anyways, I finished the outside of the helmet completely. I hand painted the ears... I've never tackled something like that before, so I'm real happy about how they turned out!

IMG_20140113_193549_zpsuihfdz9a.jpg

IMG_20140113_193559_zpsb7jjviba.jpg

IMG_20140113_193605_zps8iknxzop.jpg

Darn. I was so close to being done with the helmet!

I'll fix that up soon. Thanks for the heads up!

Does anyone have any input on the body so far?

Raise the belt until its right underneath the buttons. Its too low on your cod piece.