A little confused

KO22

I am at the point where I need to strap together all of the chest a back pieces and I am a little confused. I have six split rivets am I not not entirely sure where they go. I know some of them go the outside to help connect the kidney and ab plates but I would really like to get specifics as to where they should go. I have looked through the threads but I have been able to find the exact placements. Also what should I use to attach the ammo plate to my thigh? Any help would be appreciated!

On a related note I learned last night about the blood, sweat and tears it takes to put together this armor. I had to drill out a rivet from my armor as I was making a snap plate, and one didn't catch the snap. While I was drilling the drill bit broke and drill somehow went off to the side and found my thumb. Nothing too serious but needless to say it will be a few days before I can use the thumb again. But like a good trooper I didn't any blood on my armor. I can't believe I did that! Not to sound mean but I hope I'm not the only one to do something like that.

The ab/kidney split rivets placement is listed in the CRL level 3 text

"Rivets on the left side of the ab plate: a total of three rivets, the heads should be approximately 5/16" (8mm) diameter and equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge. They may be painted white, or not. Note:For the original used TK armor, this type of rivets where, bifurcated rivets or split rivet."

Three rivets shall be present on the left side of the kidney plate, the heads should be approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter and equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge. They may be painted white, or not. Note: For the original used TK armor, this type of rivets where, bifurcated rivets or split rivet."

The thigh ammo connection should be split or Cap rivet (not standard rivet)

If you want to be able to detach the elastics that connect between the ab and kidney, then you would use a male snap. 

Otherwise you can fasten the elastic directly to the split rivet.  The original screen suits were connected directly like that.  The use of snaps is a costuming method many people use for convenience in trooping.

Edited by Echo

I glued the elastic on one side to a strip of abs then riveted that to the armor for one side (so if it stretches i can just replace the elastic and abs strip) and on the other side I use riveted snaps so I can open like a clam shell

Edited by gmrhodes13

.OK I think I've got it, but I have a couple more questions.

1.  It says "A single male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate shall be present".  Is there a an exact place for this and which direction should the snap face?  What size snap?  I have been using 5/8 snaps.

2.  What size should the white elastic that connects the chest and back plates be?  I have seen both 1 1/2 and 2 inch used.  IS there one correct size?

Thanks Again!

I have looked at a number of pictures but either I have found contradictory pictures or they aren't clear enough to tell.  If there are certain pictures that I should be looking at please let me know.