Krylon paint instructions

Bigturc

Ok guys,

I've tried to find that information by looking at different thread like Tk-4510's TE2 build thread, but the paint used wasn't the same, and the search engine returns me bogus info when I look for Krylon so ...

I've received my Commander Neyo helmet last week, and began doing the sand, prime and paint job on it this week end. Basically, I've sanded down the seam line and did 2 coats of primer yesterday, and today, I applied my first coat of Krylon Fusion Gloss White. The instructions on the can read: Apply in thin coat, wait 30 seconds. Apply more thin coats. Wait 24 for cure, 7 days to freely manipulate, or something like that. Now, I'm suddenly afraid after reading the above thread that I shouldn't have stopped at my first coat of white today (although that thread was with Rustoleum paint .. still ...).

Did I mess up?!? I can't believe it meant, apply a thin coat every 30 seconds until you're happy .. I felt like that it was totally wrong NOT letting the paint cure .. so I interpreted it, paint, wait 24 hours, paint, wait 24 hours etc ...

Can anyone do a step by step paint with Krylon Fusion with delay times and nb of coats for a max gloss?

Note I also have my fiberglass MLC V3 Scout helmet on its way so I hope that if I messed up this one, it will serve me for my Scout which I definitely don't want to mess.

Post-note If anyone can shed some light as to why my painted E-11 with Krylon Semi-flat black is so fragile on the paint?!? I just rub my nail on it and it pretty much each through the paint... and I must have 3 coats on this thing?!? Is Krylon that crappy???

Thanks for your help guys, I hope to have lots of feedback as I plan to coat again tomorrow.

Your helmet is fine, Krylon Fusion is fairly forgiving. The only indication that you will have messed up is if you get a web like cracks in the paint.

The reason it tells you to apply a wet coat over a wet coat is for adhesion, but if you do it too soon the propellant doesn't have a chance to evaporate and that can lead to all sorts of problems . Paint sticks better to partially dry paint, but there won't be any problems doing another coat later.

Not trying to derail, but has anyone tried Krylon H20 yet. I know a few Vaders that have used the H20 and the results are mind blowing, but didn't know what kind of finish the white would yield.

Thanks Terrell, that will help me sleep :)

I was also wondering, is this stuff really supposed to be glossy? I ask because my first coat is not glossy at all .. I mean, it's not totally mate but definitely not super glossy, I see painted buckets that have a super high gloss finish and I'm wondering if it's just the paint or the fact that I don't apply enough when I coat (because I wanna make sure to prevent paint runs).

I've also seen the H20 and there was Rustoleum from Mike's thread. Should I paint my next helmet with this one instead? Let's say my Fusion is not glossy enough for my taste, can I go and apply Rustoleum over it and that would be a big NO NO!?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it ..

After 3 perfect coat of paint, I messed up and my 4th layer of Krylon has a paint run right on the front of the dome. It's barely noticable but it will bug the heck outta me if I leave it there...

I was already planing on 5 coats of paint and then a wet sanding to give it a shine .. would that remove the paint by itself if I wait long enough before sanding? Or should I sand now, then do another coat or 2 after?

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

At least the run is very minor. If it were me, I'd let it cure and wet sand then apply another coat or two. Were you applying the coats while tacky, or one at a time after the previous one cured?

That run is not that bad. I would take a step back from that helmet for a week and let it cure. If the run still bothers you after its had a chance to cure, just wet sand it with 800 or 1000 grit wet or dry sand paper. After its lightly sanded hit sanded area with some novus plastic polish. If it brings out the paint then I would try hitting the whole helmet with novus. You can also try a nice car wax.

I really dont like Krylon Fusion at all for high gloss painting. Its a really easy paint to use, but it never really shows a nice ABS like gloss. Its not a bad paint for Sandtroopers or roughed up clones though.

I have discovered that on most paints if you lay a coat down and let it sit for 5 minutes and then re-coat, wait 5, re-coat wait 5, it loooks pretty darn good. Of course you will want to make sure that yoou have prepped the surface well and made sure its smooth, dust free and oil free. Paint in an area that is not windy, cold. Never paint at night with the porch light on..... Bugs love fresh white illuminated paint...I dunno why.

Always follow the cans directions, and dont buy cheap paint unless you want a cheap finish.

Thats about all I can think of. I look forward to seeing your helmet finished! :)

Thanks guys!!

Nope it is completely ruined ..pack it up and mail it to me now so it can be my new fancy paperweight...

Alright Steve, just let me know your address, I really thought I could salvage it!!! :)

At least the run is very minor. If it were me, I'd let it cure and wet sand then apply another coat or two. Were you applying the coats while tacky, or one at a time after the previous one cured?

That's exactly what I plan to do now .. but what a pain in the a very impolite person when it's pushing back the work on it for another week!! Arrgg

Well, the instructions were saying wait 30 seconds between paint coats .. what da ... I didn't wanna take any chance so I waited around a day between each. So that would be applied while dried but not cured.

That run is not that bad. I would take a step back from that helmet for a week and let it cure. If the run still bothers you after its had a chance to cure, just wet sand it with 800 or 1000 grit wet or dry sand paper. After its lightly sanded hit sanded area with some novus plastic polish. If it brings out the paint then I would try hitting the whole helmet with novus. You can also try a nice car wax.

I really dont like Krylon Fusion at all for high gloss painting. Its a really easy paint to use, but it never really shows a nice ABS like gloss. Its not a bad paint for Sandtroopers or roughed up clones though.

I have discovered that on most paints if you lay a coat down and let it sit for 5 minutes and then re-coat, wait 5, re-coat wait 5, it loooks pretty darn good. Of course you will want to make sure that yoou have prepped the surface well and made sure its smooth, dust free and oil free. Paint in an area that is not windy, cold. Never paint at night with the porch light on..... Bugs love fresh white illuminated paint...I dunno why.

Always follow the cans directions, and dont buy cheap paint unless you want a cheap finish.

Thats about all I can think of. I look forward to seeing your helmet finished! :)

I've read and re-read your paint tutorial multiple time to make sure I was doing everything right (first paint job on a helmet, second only after my 2 blasters .. urgg that would make it 3) .. anyway, I knew Krylon gloss wouldn't give me a super gloss finish .. and after seeing more and more Neyo helmet done, I thought that would be good since I want to weather it with acrylic paint afterward.

Would you consider the Krylon cheap? Or are you saying that for any cheap-er paint than Krylon?

I also bought some Rustloleum white gloss .. from you guys pictures, that looks like the paint I would have used for the ultimate shinny look :)

I've built alot of models in my time and I have never had any luck with Krylon anytime I tried to use it. Rustolium is a much better choice out of the can. Recently I did a football helmet for my dad and I actually went to a local automotve store and bought a can of spray touch up paint and did a 2 step base then clear coat. I did 2 coats of flat base and then 4 coats of clear. I then rubbed it out with finishing glaze and it looked like glass.

A buddy that does autobody work gave me some in a mountain dew bottle but I think its made by 3M. Ive seen it at the auto store and the bottle is like almost 20 bucks!

What kind of finishing glaze did you use?

• 2 weeks later...
A buddy that does autobody work gave me some in a mountain dew bottle but I think its made by 3M. Ive seen it at the auto store and the bottle is like almost 20 bucks!

Mountain Dew bottles. The prime choice for paint transport! You lucked out that you got that stuff for free man.

I thought I'd update ... I'm pretty much finished on my Neyo bucket. Only the weathering is left for now.

Here's a link to my update thread .. let me know if you can't see the pics, I'll upload them here too (I wasn't sure as this is a clone bucket) ...

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13

:D First you have one hell of a cool bucket ner-vod, if you want Failed Paint Job" look at my obscene abortion of a helmet in my thread. I have a E3 trooper helm coming from the same lad. I hope to do much better with it. Tell me whats the bucket you got made of? How hefty is it? I'm sure it's the same stuff as mycoming E3 trooper but it's makeing me a bit "Batty" waiting :P (and that "run part"? don't mean a thing you did a good job !)

:) Also can you get a FX type of helmet liner into this, and if yes what is the type of glue you are useing to do stuff like this....Someone told me it's CA glue...what the hell is that? I sure would be happy if I could get a FX helmet liner into my E3 bucket :D

• 3 weeks later...
Tell me whats the bucket you got made of? How hefty is it? I'm sure it's the same stuff as mycoming E3 trooper but it's makeing me a bit "Batty" waiting :P (and that "run part"? don't mean a thing you did a good job !)

SgtSteve,

I completely overlooked that question, so since I'm gonna update in a few minutes, I'll do it now :)

The Neyo bucket is a fiberglass kit gel coated on the inside. It's heavier than ABS but not so bad, It would easily be troop'able! Yeah, I ended up fixing the paint run with a good wet sand plus 2 more coats of krylon fusion.

:) Also can you get a FX type of helmet liner into this, and if yes what is the type of glue you are useing to do stuff like this....Someone told me it's CA glue...what the hell is that? I sure would be happy if I could get a FX helmet liner into my E3 bucket :D

I'm not sure about the liner part, first, I don't know what a FX type of liner is, but if it's standard construction helmet liner, yep, I'm pretty sure it would fit! I'd personally try 2 parts epoxy glue, but don't take my word as I never glued anything in it yet. I'm still waiting on my visor on that one!

Well, here's probably the last update of this thread. I've finished the paint job/weathering on this helmet and I'm currently debating whether or not I'm gonna flat seal this helmet. I might not in case I ever want to redo the paint work on this, or at least the weathering, since it's all acrylic, I could just wash it out and restart I think. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll never touch it again :)

Here's the pics, enjoy!

----- 

Edited by gmrhodes13