Kids ANH Stunt Build

This is my first build post so it might as well be about my son's kit....

Last October I found a built up Stormtrooper kit on Craigslist. It appears to be a variation of the old FX kit: 3-part lid, sized down pieces etc. With little options available at the time and my son wanting to be like his dad, I picked it up. When I got it, I was a little disappointed. Instead of glued together pieces, ALL of the components were put together with velcro. All the strapping was done with velcro, as well. Ostensibly, this was done so that the previous owner's son could grow with the kit. In reality, though, it made it very difficult to wear as pieces wouldn't stay in place or would simply fall off. It ended up sitting in a closet over the winter.

A few weeks ago, I took it out and started to rework all the pieces. I got rid of the scratched up bubble lenses, cut holes in the teeth, reworked the ears, painted all the helmet details, glued the armour together and restrapped with snaps and elastic. 

IMG_2900_zpsa7d54bce.jpg

My 8-year old son was ecstatic. I knew, however, that I wasn't exactly happy with the look of my little TK. In particular, the helmet was off and the sizing of the armour left a little to be desired:

IMG_2837_zps9ffda6bc.jpg

Watching both Walt's and TrooperMaster Paul's kit creation threads made me want to upgrade the helmet at the very least. I got a hold of Walt, showed him this picture of my son in his kit and he definitely agreed that an upgrade was sorely needed. Since his "upper body kit" was ready to ship, we decided that we would start there. This kit includes the helmet (faceplate, cap n' back, ears, s-trim, u-trim, lens, vinyl tube stripes, and custom sized hovi-mix mic tips), chest, back, shoulder bridges, shoulder bells, biceps, forearms and cover strips.

Well, today I got a little brown box in the mail:

IMG_2894_zpsb4a7e5a8.jpg

Here it is in standard layout fashion:

IMG_2896_zps2d1cc24f.jpg

...and here it is next to the same components in the old FX-based kids kit:

IMG_2898_zps1ef8dd6c.jpg

Finally, here are some helmets to compare it too (L-R ATA, Walt's and the old FX-style kids lid). It looks SO much better. I can't wait to get it built up!

IMG_2899_zpsb11a1671.jpg

Now, I have some work to do.... :)

• Like 1

Very nice! I bought one of Walt's kid's helmet too. I'll be making a build thread soon. My son is only 3, so I'm making a white foam version for the armor and will post progress on that too. When he's old enough I'll get the rest of Walt's armor kit.

Have fun with the build.

Sanding the inside of the teeth with a rotary sanding drum: 

IMG_2902_zpsd863af37.jpg

Cutting the teeth out with an exacto. I like the rounded tip blade as it doesn't seem as aggressive as the straight blade:

IMG_2903_zps2f7abf47.jpg

Eyes and teeth roughed out...I still need to clean them up, though. It's strange working in this scale!

IMG_2904_zpsca40718e.jpg

Brow trim on and inner bolts installed. I decided not to use rivets in case I mess up the placement. It looks pretty narrow without the ears. I'm sure that will change once they're bolted on.

IMG_2905_zps758688c2.jpg

Wow....that looks fantastic. ...I did openy teeth up more. Ore air for the kid....bit wow..great job so far..also rember the tube stripes arw full size if you want cut them down a bit..any questions fwel free to ask...I built like a hundred already. Lol

Thanks Walt! I was having a little trouble with the ears in trying to minimize the size of the bottom part and pull them in a little closer to the helmet. They're looking a little better than when I first cut them out. Maybe a touch more tweaking?

Edited by Nagedzi

LOL I haven't been able to touch armour the last few days. I did cut down the mic tips and attach the screen. I am just trying to decide the best way to attach them to the helmet. I'm thinking I might just E6000 them in. How did you do it?

I ended up using epoxy as I didn't have any hot glue down in my studio. I think they turned out alright.  I also just threw in a temporary lens for now. One suggestion I have, Walt,  is including a lens piece that is a little longer to reach from screw to screw.

Almost there! just have to paint the vent stripes, add padding, permanent lenses and s-trim:

IMG_2974_zps82eab6d8.jpg