Opinion poll: Movie accurate or ultra clean. Which do you like?

I will put my neck on the chopping block here. We all know that the original Star Wars was a silly space movie that was never expected by the movie company to do well. As we were all pleasantly surprised by how wrong they really were, let's talk about how this pertains to us and what we do. We all want to be as accurate as possible. To make the 501st look as good as it possibly can is everyone's job. But take a close look at the story and how the armor fits in. Then take a close look at the armor itself as it appeared in "A New Hope".

We all love the telltale little bumps and imperfections that the suits in the film had. But do you honestly think that the Empire (if it were real) would produce below standard armor like that? When I build my armor, I prefer straight lines, tight seams, and ears that come darn close to fitting the helmet perfectly. Am I wrong for preferring this? Am I wrong for remembering that the suits for the original film were basically slapped together in a short period of time, and acceptable repairs were gaffers tape and a brush dipped in paint? Is this what the standards of a mighty Empire(again..if it existed) would tolerate? I have seen many build threads where the answer to a question was followed by, "Don't worry about getting it perfect because in the movie..........".  What are your feelings on this matter?

I absolutely agree with you in the fact that the Empire would no way in hell produce sub standard, or non perfect ANYTHING. But seeing as it is not real, and everyone knows that, I think most people prefer the prop replica... However I have always been contested on this haha, I am exactly 50/50 so i'm no help :P

I have said that over and over in arguments with people. Whats done for the movies was so they could churn out 20+ kits in a second so they could film from a distance. The True Empire would never allow that patched  together look.

People are standing right next to me. If I am going to wear it it should be as clean and tight as it can be. If I wanted a display piece I would likely go with screen accurate but then it would look like crap so probably not.

All the bumps, cracks, and non symmetricalness of screen armor drives me nuts! Its understandable its sculpted and rushed for filming, but I don't see why you'd want to look like "just stepped off the set". That armor sucks and was meant to be worn only a few times. We're better than that! We have thick durable materials that lasts years of trooping! Sure the FX/AM helmet wasn't great but that's why we have other bucket options, though I love the clean, even look of it and the armor. Its idealized as if stormtroopers were real. While its all personal preference, I like being held to high standards regardless of armor style. One does not simply walk in with a rubies.

I am split on this one too, I do love the weathered look and it's great as a display but to me there is nothing better than standing in formation with my crispy clean brothers :D

Well perfect cgi idealism gave us the prequels...

You want idealized make a clone.

You want to recreate the wonky non perfect cgi recreations from the three movies that we all fell in love with.....

:P

Split down the middle. I enjoy my smooth AP, but I like the idea of real troopers being a little beat up, asymmetrical, and worn. Granted I don't think any military would allow that to happen on THE DEATH STAR, but out in the field it's cool for sure.

Once you make the bucket symmetrical it loses the iconic look. I prefer to stick w/ the original look I grew up with. It does come down to personal preference. I would be curious to know if the folks who lived through StarWars when it happened are more cannon prone than the younger generations who lived through the re-released movies. As an artist, I appreciate the asymmetry as it depicts a hand made object versus a CGI image. By keeping it original it pays homage to Liz and Brian and the wonderful work they did. If you hold a mirror to half your face you will realize that it looks like you but is not quite you, asymmetry is a natural occurance and many of us appreciate the beauty of that. So, I think it comes down to perspective. Some of us groove toward the ideal and some the natural.

I like how the armor looks old and lived in.  you can clearly see it as wear and tear.  most sci fi was put down for not having a lived in look, so that's part of the joy

of lucas' vision... I like how the armor has dirt, and flaws on it.  some troopers look like they have orange or tan splotches from combat on them...

not blood, but this tan stuff... almost looks like makeup.  I like the "carbon scoring" from action.  then there's the clean white contrast on the death star where

troopers only endure endless drills. and no combat.

I don't like production mistakes, like bad paint or broken parts.  that's film making.

so in a way I'm part screen accurate, and part ideal?  if I do a deathstar version it will shine and almost GLOW with light.

Screen accurate. Not totally ruined, no white tape and I don't even own a bucket that has a chipped paintjob but I like the dirt and little scratches on the edges. It gives the armor a used look, as stated in previous posts.

I also noticed you don't really see the weathering on photos due to the semi-glossy material reflecting. In the end it'S personal preference, I don't care if the trooper next to me is all shiny or not. There's other stuff on some TKs that make me shiver.

On the thick, durable materials that last for years of trooping: I don't think that's where TKs should go. Thick materials are harder to pull in shape so details appear more washed out. I have a 3mm MFX and a 1.5mm TM and while the MFX has been retired on a mannequin because of various cracks, the TM is now in it's second year of duty without any damage appart from the intended weathering

My ATA kit is several years old and is already showing signs of weathering but looking at the screen grabs from ANH it matches them perfectly. If I had time and money I would build another set of armor for that pristine look but overall I'm perfectly happy with the battle scarred look. We are after all soldiers for Lord Vader not window dressing!

I like my prop replicas to be as accurate as possible to screen used. So I love their bumps and warps there. I like the way that these armors, helmets and weapons (and studio scale, and other props too) were made back then, not idealized like CGI. I know in the real universe a Stormtrooper armor and helmet would be perfect, but I like mine like it was back then.

Though with materials I'd go with acrylic capped ABS instead of simple ABS to last longer without yellowing - it's like when you restore an old classic car, but add new types of brakes to go with the safety regulations. I also don't like helmets to have that weathering with peeling/chipped paint from how the original helmets look now after long years.

If you'd asked me this a few years ago,..I probably would have said I preferred the idealized, symmetrical 'perfect' look. Over the years however, i've come to embrace the wonkiness,the poor build quality,the rough edges( hence why I built a ROTJ TK!!)

I wouldn't go so far as adding tape, or 'chipped paint' to my suit, if I were to ever do ANH, but fair play to those that do.

As for how the public see us,..I've trooped in my (some would say poorly built by me!) CFO alongside a taped up RSProps TK and a couple of FX armours and modded MR lids and no one has ever passed judgement on the differences between us all. The only comments that are made are usually down to height, girth or shape of the person wearing the suit...

100% screen accurate for me. The rougher, the better :D

I can see why some would want an idealised armour, but that is purely for your own pleasure. Do not blame the public - they know no difference. Do they complain about Sandtroopers covered in dirt? So going screen accurate with weathered and battle scarred armour should be no different. We are Stormtroopers, so whether you go squeaky clean or rough 'n' ready, it is all good fun :)

Prop replication floats my boat a little bit more but the idealised costume also has its charm especially for 501st use when dealing with the expectations of an audience that gets really close.
I really liked the acrylic capped TM suit I had and wore it with Karyn's white rubber handguards for a slightly cleaner look. White and shiney, kind of replicating a perceived image rather than the reality. 
I also have a non-painted ABS Stunt helmet for trooping which obviously has no chipped off paint and perfectly matches the rest of the armour. The prop replica version with big green patches is in a display cabinet.
The idealised, cleaner look definitely has its place in the hobby but I do think the whole concept enters the "BS zone" when people start wanting to have symmetrical stormtrooper armour and helmets. Reproducing the correct shape of the costumes is absolutely fundamental in my mind. Especially when you consider that these suits were buolt for human beings and our bodies are far from symmetrcial. The Empire would kit out its soldiers with perfectly ergonomical (non-symmetrical) suits. The ROTS Vader helmet is an abomination  :P But that's an aside, surely the shape has to be the same as what we see on screen. Clean it up and make it look bright white by all means but don't deliberately change the shape. If you want something symmetrical, sculpt your own "space soldier helmet"!

Being a soldier, I love the clean cut look in general. Symmetrical, in line, uniform appearance really appeals to me. In my memory of seeing the movies I remember the stormtroopers as such, and it is only in recent years that I really noticed all the "flaws".....

Being a "trooper to be" I will go as screen accurate as possible, without the impracticalities of gaffertape etc. I want my TM Armour to look as nice as possible, with natural wear and tear, my blaster is only moderately weathered, my boots are painted and will get the natural scuffing which I will repair as I go....

Weathered and battle scarred kind of goes with the territory. I think the public sees that as cool and so do I.  I was asking more towards the details in the construction. No gaps, straight lines, tight seams, etc.....