Helmet AHN Stunt Questions

I am in the process of working on a helmet for AHN Stunt.  I had a couple questions which are listed below with pics.  Two sets of questions are listed below.

If I am doing a stunt helmet with 4 teeth, should I drill and file the area circled in blue.  I believe the answer is yes.

8_Helmet_CutHole_zps8d9cc1f5.jpg

6_Helmet_Cuthole_zps731594d6.jpg

7_Helmet_CutHole_zps60f2d64f.jpg

Next set of questions, how much should be filed cleaned up around the teeth?  Is their a requirement for this for EIB or Centurion certification?

12_Helmet_zpsa8662379.jpg

11_Helmet_zps57506e35.jpg

On 8/22/2013 at 4:24 AM, mercury26 said:

I am in the process of working on a helmet for AHN Stunt.  I had a couple questions which are listed below with pics.  Two sets of questions are listed below.

If I am doing a stunt helmet with 4 teeth, should I drill and file the area circled in blue.  I believe the answer is yes.

No you only want to cut out 4 on each side of the frown. The 8 teeth in the clr is referring the the holes that you make. Edit: It actually seems like some of the originals have the 5th hole cut out when I was looking below. However a lot of them also do not. Maybe someone else can chime in. 

As for the frown take a look below for some helpful reference pictures. If you have a file set they are very useful for this. I picked one up for around 10 dollars and it had square and flat files that were very helpful in smoothing out the teeth and giving them a more rectangular look.

On 7/22/2011 at 10:42 PM, RogueTrooper said:

I thought these frown references (pix/collage) that I made up of the original ANH helmets, might be of help to anyone working on their frown for their ANH Hero or Stunt lid.

In my opinion, if you are trying to achieve that mean, gritty look, that the ANH lids have, a lot of the look comes from the way the teeth are cut out, and the paint job that is done to the frown. If you look at the original screen used helmets from ANH, the teeth openings were very jagged and rough (due to the quick way they were assembled). I think that the paint job also plays a major factor. Some people take pain staking measures to get the frown lines straight and perfect, which can change the mood of the frown.

Also, some people take the approach of removing a lot of the material that gives the teeth the 3-D effect, with the openings to the teeth being perfectly straight without a lot of return edge to them. In my opinion this tends to make the frown look less menacing. One of the charming things that I love about the original ANH helmets were the gnarled jagged frowns.

I coin it the "shark tooth look". The have one mean, gnarled looking frown. ---------

But whatever way you want your frown to be, the gnarled jagged look or the clean look, hope this helps.

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

VERY few of the original helmets had 5 teeth cut out. I can't find it right now, but there is a promo shot of a pile of neatly stacked TK helmets prior to paint and details. A few had 5 teeth cut out. Of the 50 or so pictured; maybe 2. Stick with 4. And yes I agree with Brian about taking a little more meat out of the teeth holes them a bit more square. WAIT!!! FOUND IT!  EDIT!!!!!!

-----------ok...maybe not 50 helmets are pictured. My bad

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 11 months later...

I started work again after a long hiatus.  I am about to start gluing the helmet pieces (3 piece NE helmet).  I am assuming on the bottom that I cut out some of the bottom around the neck opening.  I also illustrated how I plan to cut the side.  Please tell me if I should make some changes to lines before I cut.

Helmet_Side_Trim_zpsa5720326.jpg

Helmet_Bttm1_Trim_zpsf72ed51c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need some ear help.  :(

I have to agree that ears suck!  I am trimming, but I cannot get them to lay flat.  I am wondering if I should trim a bit of the bottom outlined in blue.  Any thoughts?  I hate to keep Dremel sanding to the point of no return.

Ear3_Trim_zps809de47d.jpg

Ear1_zpsf1f19f64.jpg

EarBack1_zpsf715540e.jpg

Ear2_zpsf7d15b03.jpg

It looks like the blue hilighted part is flat compared to the rest of the 3-d shape. On my ATA the very bottom of the ears are flush with the tubes, without any flat overhanging tab like your pic shows. Try slowly taking tiny bits off until you get the fit/look you want. I'm not an expert (a noob, in fact) but I think most ears stop where the 3-d shape (from original) ends; flat = cut it off.

2nd pic from bottom, cut it off at the bottom where the corner is made

Edited by charlesnarles

Looking pretty good....obviously a tight fit is the best but a tiny bit of a gap is the norm as you would see in movie still shots....

Edited by Slangen