Maxsteele's New NE Armor Build

maxsteele

Depending on height and fitting some cut out a section on the rear of the thigh and calve, this is screen accurate so it is approvable. AS I have long legs I didn't have an issue and to this date not suffered an armor bite, but I am one of the lucky ones :D

You can see the sections removed in the photo below

TK_anh_stunt.jpeg

Aaah, I see.  I am 5' 10", and I believe the armor I have is sized exactly for someone that is 5' 10", so I might not have to do this.  I see what you're talking about with the cut-out in the back and it's good to know I can do that if I need to.

I found a graphic last night that had exact measurements for the Ab button plate for cutting to size.  I can't for the life of me find that graphic again.  It was very detailed and gave very exact measurements all around the plate.  Does anyone know what I'm referring to and can you link to that pic please?  I'd like to start cutting my button plates tonight.

EDIT:

I found it!

38et.jpg

Edited by maxsteele

I'm about to take my first step to fitting my armor to my body, starting with the biceps.  I've done the 7mm / 7mm measurement on the front of my forearms to take the 15mm cover strip, but I hadn't done that yet with the biceps.  On the inner piece (the one with the dip), there doesn't seem to be any type of "molded ridge" to start a straight line and then measure 7mm to cut.  Is there a spot I should measure from on that side in order to get the 7mm / 7mm measurement for the front cover strip?

Looking at the outer pieces, there's no noticeable molded ridge at the front either.  I'm at a loss to figure out how to trim these biceps....

Edited by maxsteele

I have another question in addition to my above post about how to cut the biceps.

Should I have the front finishing strips in place and glued before I wrap around the pieces to find where to cut those to fit my body?  Or is it fine to have the fronts taped up / held with magnets as much as possible and then wrap around and mark for cutting?

Did some more cosmetic cuts over the last several days.  Here is my ammo belt piece:

yaLqpcOh.jpg

I trimmed off the extra at the top and bottom.  I haven't trimmed the sides yet.

Here are my Ab plate buttons:

iv9QJEbh.jpg

These seem to be just the right thickness on all sides.

Question:  Do I need to cut the extra from the top and bottom of the thigh power pack, like I did with the belt piece?

gobLMT9h.jpg

I can do that, but won't if it's not necessary.  I couldn't find any mention of that removed in the build threads I searched in.

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, I've had some garrison members over to help out with fitting my pieces.  I've started cutting!  

I need feedback on these forearms.  They have been trimmed down to fit me.  If these are looking good, it's time for finishing strips and e6000.  I can re-take the blurry ones if needed, but I think you can make out enough details.

JR27Xpjh.jpg

XxrLQJqh.jpg

fiuv6MGh.jpg

90bMN7wh.jpg

MfVaZexh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm getting ready to start some gluing and had some questions about technique:

1)  Should I glue one half of the finishing strip to one side of a piece, clamp it and wait 24 hours, then glue / clamp down to the other side, or should I put the two pieces together under the finishing strip and glue / clamp down the entire strip at once?

2)  It seems that no matter what option I use, once I get to the point of gluing the other side's finishing strip down, I won't have the ability to do one side of the finishing strip first, and then the other, because the two pieces will be basically touching already.  If I'm incorrect on this, should I use the "one half" method on the second finishing strip or the "all at once" method?

3)  What is the current recommendation for inside finishing strips?  I feel I can do without them, but if there are enough compelling arguments, I could change that feeling.

4)  I have these magnets:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084UASJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AN80OGADPFB5   .  Are these going to work for the center areas of finishing strips where clamps can't reach?  Or do I need to buy wider / strong magnets? 

EDIT:

I'm seeing these magnets on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1M37MY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03XCWN3H8APQ6TEEPW1Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083462&pf_rd_i=507846

That's quite the deal.  I can get 12 of those for $14.  25.4mm x 6.35mm x 6.35mm .  77% off because of Cyber Monday deals.  Would these be good for finishing strip compression in the center areas, like thighs and shins?

Actually, the more I read about these, people are saying the strongest part of these magnets is at the ends, not through the length of the bar.  I was wanting to lay them on their side and have them hold together that way, but it's the tips that are the strongest, which means the surface area is only going to be 6.35mm x 6.35mm.  It's about the same as my 6.35mm diameter round magnets.  I'm not sure why these are 25.4mm long.  I don't get what purpose that serves.

Well, I've ordered them anyway and if they don't work for what I need, I'll send them back.

Edited by maxsteele

Ah, that's what I was afraid of.  The magnets are the strongest at the tips.  That's too bad.  Maybe I can use them for something, but they won't be able to provide the force I need at the middle points of some of the longer strips.

I'd love if I could get some feedback on my three questions from my previous post before I continue with this build.

Alright, I'm getting ready to start some gluing and had some questions about technique:

1)  Should I glue one half of the finishing strip to one side of a piece, clamp it and wait 24 hours, then glue / clamp down to the other side, or should I put the two pieces together under the finishing strip and glue / clamp down the entire strip at once?

2)  It seems that no matter what option I use, once I get to the point of gluing the other side's finishing strip down, I won't have the ability to do one side of the finishing strip first, and then the other, because the two pieces will be basically touching already.  If I'm incorrect on this, should I use the "one half" method on the second finishing strip or the "all at once" method?

3)  What is the current recommendation for inside finishing strips?  I feel I can do without them, but if there are enough compelling arguments, I could change that feeling.

4)  I have these magnets:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084UASJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AN80OGADPFB5   .  Are these going to work for the center areas of finishing strips where clamps can't reach?  Or do I need to buy wider / strong magnets? 

EDIT:

I'm seeing these magnets on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1M37MY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03XCWN3H8APQ6TEEPW1Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083462&pf_rd_i=507846

That's quite the deal.  I can get 12 of those for $14.  25.4mm x 6.35mm x 6.35mm .  77% off because of Cyber Monday deals.  Would these be good for finishing strip compression in the center areas, like thighs and shins?

Actually, the more I read about these, people are saying the strongest part of these magnets is at the ends, not through the length of the bar.  I was wanting to lay them on their side and have them hold together that way, but it's the tips that are the strongest, which means the surface area is only going to be 6.35mm x 6.35mm.  It's about the same as my 6.35mm diameter round magnets.  I'm not sure why these are 25.4mm long.  I don't get what purpose that serves.

Well, I've ordered them anyway and if they don't work for what I need, I'll send them back.

1.  I did some of it both ways.  As long as you are using something like E6000 for glue, you should be fine to glue both sides at once.  If you want to be sure that they are straight the first time, then do one at a time.

2.  yes the back half will have to be all at once.

3.  I used inside strips, just because I thought it would add more strength.  In retrospect, I will probably try my next build without them.  The E6000 is pretty strong.

Thanks for the input Derek!

I have 30 of these magnets:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084UASJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AN80OGADPFB5

They're 1/2" diameter by 1/8" thick.  Looks like they have the same pull force as the ones you linked as well.  Perhaps I can just stick with the ones I have.  I think I'm going to return the bar magnets I just bought because of where the polarities are.

I am absolutely using e6000.  I haven't started gluing yet, but my biceps and forearms are ready for strips.  Those will be the first pieces I glue together.

I guess I'll just need to see if I feel comfortable gluing both sides at once vs. one at a time and go from there.  Good to know there isn't a "You really should do it (this way)" method for that.

I am going to go for no inside strips this time, and if it seems like it's not strong enough, I can always go back and put in an inner strip.  Sounds like that will work.  My only concern is the right forearm, which has quite a bend to it.  I'll have to see how the glue holds up when I put the finishing strips on the outside only and go from there.

Next up - gluing the biceps and forearms!

Tip: double stack the magnets to increase strength in the middle of a limb. Eg: 2 stacked on the outside on top of the cover strip, then 2 stacked on the inside. Do this in 4 to 5 spots in the middle with clamps on the ends.

Thanks Terry!  I have started gluing a cover strip on one half of each of my biceps.  I'll take the clamps / magnets off when I get home tonight and see how good the bond is, then I'll put the other strip on the other side, so I'll have two cover strips half-attached.  When those are done, I'll bring the two parts of each bicep together and glue the other sides of the cover strips to them.  Fingers crossed!

Here is my completed left bicep!

x90tdEwh.jpg

7pZueQTh.jpg

Now, I noticed that the strip that doesn't have the curve in the bicep has a little separation on one side.  It's a pretty small separation, and the rest of the strip is well-glued.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  If so, any tips on how I can glue that separation back down?

pcJz5sIh.jpg

You're going to want to seriously trim up those biceps for two reasons:

1-The return edge is fine if you want to leave it, but it will fit and feel much better if you sand down the return edge to a minimum, keeping a little bit of return edge for aesthetic purposes.

2-I can tell you right now that the top of the bicep is going to stab the crap out of your shoulder (if you wear it at the proper height, that is). No joke, try it on, hold it in place so it doesn't move, and try to move your arm forward. If it hurts, sand that sucker down. If not, then you'll see what I'm talking about later when you try to wear the armor...lol.

Great progress so far! I'm watching your work!

You're going to want to seriously trim up those biceps for two reasons:

1-The return edge is fine if you want to leave it, but it will fit and feel much better if you sand down the return edge to a minimum, keeping a little bit of return edge for aesthetic purposes.

2-I can tell you right now that the top of the bicep is going to stab the crap out of your shoulder (if you wear it at the proper height, that is). No joke, try it on, hold it in place so it doesn't move, and try to move your arm forward. If it hurts, sand that sucker down. If not, then you'll see what I'm talking about later when you try to wear the armor...lol.

Great progress so far! I'm watching your work!

1 - are you referring to the return edge on the inner part of the bicep?  I can certainly trim that down to a hint of a return edge.

2 - Which part of the bicep are you referring to when you say "the top" ?  Is it the top of the finishing strips, or the top of the bicep piece itself?

Are you suggesting that I cut / sand down along these lines:

FXKYmou.jpg

EBbwB28.jpg

1 - are you referring to the return edge on the inner part of the bicep?  I can certainly trim that down to a hint of a return edge.

2 - Which part of the bicep are you referring to when you say "the top" ?  Is it the top of the finishing strips, or the top of the bicep piece itself?

I wouldn't worry about that stuff. When you wear the bicep properly it should be right above the elbow and far from your shoulder.

Return edge you do as you like with. But it's easier to remove plastic than putting it back, so go slow if you decide to remove it.

Finished biceps!

pNOMLlzh.jpg

UnjRpEch.jpg

qnkSVz0h.jpg

y4evpdfh.jpg

AZoHrZyh.jpg

I haven't decided if I'm going to cut straight across on the bottom of the biceps yet.  I've seen some builds here where they left it, and others where they cut it.

I did have some separation of the finishing strip on the back side of the right bicep.  It was much more than the left one.  I took some Krazy Glue and squeezed it inside the gap, then clamped it down for a few minutes.  That seemed to do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

Opinion needed before I continue with my forearm gluing.

Is this finishing strip in the proper position?  I have the right side of the strip glued down, and I'm holding the left piece in place with clamps to show where the left side of the finishing strip will land.  This is the left forearm.

53bi36u.jpg

Edited by maxsteele

• 2 weeks later...

I have a gluing issue....

I am working on my left forearm.  The front was cut to the proper lengths to take a 15mm cover strip (7 1/2 mm on each side), and the back cut to fit around my arm.

I have glued down both sides on the back cover strip, and I have one side of the front cover strip glued down.  I'm now trying to join the last side to the other half of the front cover strip.

I'm using c-clamps on each end (with an ABS protective piece), then a couple of clamps, and then 1/2" n48 strength magnets, stacked three on each side along the middle of the forearm on the cover strip join section.  This is my issue:

wvmNFLc.jpg

See the big gap from clamp-to-clamp?  I haven't tried to apply glue yet, because I wanted to make sure I could get a tight fit along the whole cover strip.  I don't have enough pressure along the length of the forearm strip to close the gap.  I'm not sure what to do next...