Maxsteele's New NE Armor Build

maxsteele

Through more research, it seems at the very least I need to take the return edge off of the curved part of the elbow end, which is the piece that sits on the inside of my forearm.  The jury is out on whether or not I should take down the other return edge on the other piece.  I also think I need to take the return edge part out from where the dimples are, and take the return edge off where the finishing strip will go.

Any final thoughts before I make my next un-alterable cuts to my forearms?  

Go ahead and remove it. I have looked at many shots screen grabs and return edges on the elbow portion of the forearms wasn;t obvious. In fact, I would think that any return edge on the half that sits on the inside of your forearm would be uncomfortable.

I have taken the return edge off on the inside elbow parts of my forearms.

GyyQBU4.jpg

I'm still contemplating if I want to take the return edge off of the outer elbow side of the forearms.

Another question!  Here is the current state of my biceps:

9JVkTzF.jpg

XCWxIvB.jpg

That is the return edge on the top and bottom of this bicep.  The other bicep looks pretty much the same.  I am thinking I am going to take the return edge completely off from the whole top part.  I am considering taking it off of the bottom as well.  I've poured through over 20 build threads and most people don't even focus on the return edge, or give photos that show what they did.  Thoughts?

The top return edge doesn't really matter as it will be hidden under the shoulder bell, just keep a little one at the armpit identation.

And about the bottom one, cutting it off will help you avoiding pinches when you will bend the arm, so yes feel free to remove it.

The top return edge doesn't really matter as it will be hidden under the shoulder bell, just keep a little one at the armpit identation.

And about the bottom one, cutting it off will help you avoiding pinches when you will bend the arm, so yes feel free to remove it.

Thanks for the feedback!  That's what I was leaning toward doing.  I know that when fitting pieces to your body, the return edge definitely changes the way pieces fit, so I'm trying to take care of return edge issues before I start measuring and cutting-to-fit.

I'll take care of the return edges on both biceps next.

Next dillema -  which outer bicep piece joins up with this inner bicep piece?

This one:

3HSSyvJ.jpg

Or this one:

Bico3Eu.jpg

The inner bicep piece I'm using in both pics is the right one (the one without the thumb print).  I've swapped the outer bicep piece in each pic.  Both of them I made sure to match up the edges with the curve in the plastic.

Edited by maxsteele

While I'm debating with myself on how much return edge I should take off on the curved top parts of my biceps and the outside elbow of my forearms, I'm moving on to other pieces!

Chest piece - From what I've looked at, most people take off the return edge around the neck.  I've also seen a build or two where all of the return edge is taken off completely with the exception of the horizontal bottom return edge.  Any opinions on return edge removal on the chest?

Next dillema -  which outer bicep piece joins up with this inner bicep piece?

This one:

3HSSyvJ.jpg

Or this one:

Bico3Eu.jpg

The inner bicep piece I'm using in both pics is the right one (the one without the thumb print).  I've swapped the outer bicep piece in each pic.  Both of them I made sure to match up the edges with the curve in the plastic.

Have you figured out the biceps?

Have you figured out the biceps?

Yep, I did!  This pic showed me:

d37d50e9-655d-4bb9-96f8-f007942655b9_zps

The two left-most pieces go together, and the two right-most pieces go together.

For the left-most pieces, you'll notice that from this vantage point, the raised part curves out to the right at the top.  That piece matches up with the left "thumb print" piece.  And then the wider parts for the outside pieces are at the top, the thinner parts are at the bottom.

Glad you figured it out. :)

Thanks for following up on that.

I know I am being super paranoid and double / triple verifying with people on the cuts I'm making.  That's just the way I am with projects.  I need to know I'm doing it right and require validation from multiple sources before I make any cuts.  Everyone that's been helping out have been very patient with me, and I appreciate every piece of information I've been given.

I'm hoping to move on from the forearms and biceps tonight / tomorrow when I start trimming my chest and back plates.  From research today, most people seem to keep all of the return edges on the chest.  There's just that one piece that sticks out on either side of the chest at the bottom which I know needs to be trimmed off.  I need to research the back plate more, but I don't think there's anything for me to cut on there.

Edited by maxsteele

Thanks for following up on that.

I know I am being super paranoid and double / triple verifying with people on the cuts I'm making.  That's just the way I am with projects.  I need to know I'm doing it right and require validation from multiple sources before I make any cuts.  Everyone that's been helping out have been very patient with me, and I appreciate every piece of information I've been given.

I'm hoping to move on from the forearms and biceps tonight / tomorrow when I start trimming my chest and back plates.  From research today, most people seem to keep all of the return edges on the chest.  There's just that one piece that sticks out on either side of the chest at the bottom which I know needs to be trimmed off.  I need to research the back plate more, but I don't think there's anything for me to cut on there.

Research first then cut, your off to a good start. Nothing wrong with taking your time, things usually turn out better and you learn more as you go along. This is a pic of the chest and back. You can see a little return on the sides of the chest, just enough to make it look solid and armor like.  The bottom of the chest has more of a return edge maybe 1/4 " The back also has returns on the side and bottom. These pic's are of the tk300 web site. A quick reference for some details.

back1_zpsf542581f.jpg

chest_zpse2f4d156.jpg

I'll post some pics of my chest and back plate when I get home tonight.  I think the return edges are already at the right thickness on both of them.  There's just that flare I need to cut off at the bottom sides of the chest, which you'll be able to see in the pics.

Once I'm satisfied with how those are, I'll move on to looking at return edges for the ab / kidney / butt plates.

Alright, here are my un-modified back and chest pieces.

SqieA0R.jpg

96vVLpq.jpg

c0KcHGE.jpg

wgy0wYY.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, you can see that flashing at the bottom corner of the chest piece.  There's one of those on each side of the chest.  I know that needs to be cut off and have a return that matches the return that goes up the side.  I'm cutting that off tonight.  From what I've seen, the rest of the return edge around the chest piece is the correct width, and I don't believe I need to trim any more of it.

The back piece I have a concern with.  Once the return edge passes the deepest part of the curve, it gets quite wide.  I think I need to trim it to match the narrowest return edge that exists on the upper part of the back.  I have some curved scissors that I think can do the trick, and then sand it up to be relatively even.  The easiest is to completely remove the return edge, but I'm not sure how that would be.

Maxsteele - I appreciate your attention to detail.  I can't wait to see how you approach the NE helmet!  take lots of pictures during your assembly and trimming.

I hate to disappoint, but I did not go with the NE helmet for my build.  I got an ATA helmet.  If you are still interested in following that build, you can find it here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24746-my-ata-helmet-build/

I have cut out the eyes and teeth, and I need to drill the holes to connect the back and front together, and start shaping those horrible, horrible ears.  :)

Alright, here are my ab, kidney, and butt plates:

Kidney plate

AwlvkdZ.jpg

YToLd7v.jpg

SbXDPv1.jpg

Ihg07mP.jpg

Butt plate

5ImOiIf.jpg

apRJLLx.jpg

GNjvrCu.jpg

z0zEXMm.jpg

Ab plate

UxsDy9X.jpg

DbpUZRo.jpg

jXaAHEE.jpg

FJdeIZY.jpg

U8pc0e5.jpg

Now, I know there's a good deal to trim on these pieces because these molds were made to fit larger people.  I don't believe I am considered a "larger" person.  I am 5' 10", 195 lbs.  I have a 36" waist.  I'm wondering if I should pre-cut these to how I've seen others cut them, or if I should wait until I'm doing actual fitting before cutting them.

For example, looking at the kidney piece and comparing to other builds, my first instinct is to cut each side like this:

7mh69IO.jpg

And then I look at the kidney, and comparing other builds, I think that I should cut it like this:

fxPx2GH.jpg

My concern is that I make these cuts, and then when I try to fit the ab and kidney together, they won't touch and there will be a gap.

I'm not sure how to proceed on those cuts....  Thinking more on it, I think the kidney should always be cut how I have it, and any extra that's needed to close the gap should be on the ab side.  Thoughts?

With the butt, I think regardless of how the ab and kidney fit together, I need to cut the butt plate like this:

9qZ9865.jpg

Any and all feedback is appreciated before I put these pieces under the knife / scissors!

Edited by maxsteele

You want to cut the kidney and butt plate how you have it marked. Then you need to hold the kidney and the ab plate on your body and decide how much to trim (if any) off the ab plate...I have a 38 waist...I did not trim any thing off the ab plate except the pointy corners on the bottom of the ends....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

You want to cut the kidney and butt plate how you have it marked. Then you need to hold the kidney and the ab plate on your body and decide how much to trim (if any) off the ab plate...I have a 38 waist...I did not trim any thing off the ab plate except the pointy corners on the bottom of the ends....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Ah ha!  My research is paying off.  The built-in side shims with NE armor is on the ab plate.  

I've noticed when holding up the kidney and ab plates there's quite a bit of material bend that the pieces have to do in order to come in on my sides.  Did you notice this also?  I don't think there's much that can be done about that.  I'm certainly not using a heat gun to bend those pieces inward.  That's a whole other level of armor building that I'm just not ready for.  I just hope it's not putting too much of a strain on the rest of the pieces and causing possible stress bends / cracks in the future.

I made my first big boy cuts tonight.

I followed gazmosis' advice on making a common line closest to the molded finishing edge, then I marked off 7mm from that line.  I used magnets to hold the ruler in place to make my cut with an xacto blade.

Mwr507b.jpg

Here's how much I removed, and the nice clean line left:

7qWmy5l.jpg

Here are the two pieces cut and joined together with a little tape underneath.  Pretty decent match-up

N3gQS6L.jpg

I laid down a finishing strip and held it in place with magnets to test out some fitting.

0TsE3wc.jpg

Now, this is a big question I have had.  Now that I have test-fitted the piece to my body and wrapped around the extra, I have wondered - where exactly should I cut off the excess?  Here are two examples.

Should I cut all of the extra from the inside forearm piece like so:

SfSBpBO.jpg

Or should I share the cutting on the inside (1.) and the outside (2.) pieces?

gFBwEgs.jpg

Here is what the forearm looks like on my arm.  I know I'm not wearing my under shirt.  This was just a test to see how I would size it.  I'm not sure I like that abrupt transition from the return edge on the outside piece to no return edge on the inside.  Is that just a matter of trimming down that outer return edge, or should I just remove it completely?  Or is it perfectly fine and I should just leave it alone and go with that?

FAsCLxu.jpg

Sorry - I have my selfie camera resolution set pretty high, so this next pic is huge!  This size on the wrist end is just enough for me to fit my hand through.  I have pencil-thin wrists.  Is this a decent-enough fit?

H3js68r.jpg