NE AHN Stunt, First Build

mercury26

Please note I posted a very similar thread on another section of the forum, though this particular section seemed better for tracking my build.  I am a new member to the forum and about to embark on my first ever build. I went with the NE Full Kit, as it appeared to be one of the better kits for my build (6'3", 235lb) and it was readily available (a lot of kits do not seem available).  I received the kit last Thursday and started going through it tonight.  Everything was VERY nicely packed and very complete kit, though the helmet faceplate had a small crack near the right eye.  The seller is working on getting me a new faceplate, waiting for the tracking number.

I haver been ordering most of the extras from here and there (mostly from here), will outline where I am buying things very soon.  I am trying to figure out where to start, torso, legs, arms, etc.  Any advice?  I will also add some pics tomorrow of the overall kit, but not much to see  Look forward to the build and apologize in advance for a lot of questions.  Also, I have joined my local garrison's forum to get to know folks local.

A couple questions:

1. Is it better to use E6000 adhesive or ABS adhesive?  I heard E6000 is more forgiving for mistakes but worry about overall strength.  

2. What is the best tool for cutting or trimming to fit?  Dremel? Snips? If so, any recommendations on type of snips?

3. What is the best paint color for the Hovi mics? 

4. While not related to the armor, what is the best paint color for the E-11 ABS Barrel?

I will have many more to come when I get into the build.

Thanks,

Chuck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABS adhesive like Plasti-weld is good but you need to be PRECISE where it goes with ZERO squeeze out. E6000 is really a no fail adhesive. Very strong and any squeeze out can be trimmed off and easily removed. Cutting can be done with any of the above mentioned tools but with snips, you should get the curved hobby scissors. If you use a razor knife, make sure your blade is new and sharp. if the tip breaks off, replace it. Keep the blade new. Paint your hovi tips at the same time you paint the vocoder on the helmet face. Both should be matte black. Not gloss, not flat. Mix approx. 2parts flat with 1 part gloss.  The E-11 question is confusing me. The ABS barrel?

Good luck!!!!

Keep up on your research!!

Edited by gazmosis

OK, did some test fitting of pieces.  Ignore the lower arms in this picture, I made some changes that will be closer to what I need (shown in later pics).  Lots of pics, but I am a visual guy and helps me for reference.  I have some questions inline with the pics, as you scroll through.  One initial question, do I keep the rounded (return edges??) or should they be cut flush with edge (removing rounded in part)?  

1_Armor_zps0b218046.jpg

Here are the legs, looks like some trimming.  My assumption is trim the edges with the blue tape to narrow gap for fit.  I will have some examples of gap on later pics.

2_Legs_zpsa3a4b80b.jpg

Side view of legs.

3_Legs_Side_zps7d0fb6cf.jpg

Ab Plate, first question here.  I have a plate the has the five buttons.  Any thoughts on how to trim it to fit?  Do I cut out the inner most part of the loose button plate (shown in second and third pic below)?  I am thinking that I cut it out, so it slides in the recessed portion of the existing area on the Ab plate.  BTW, I know the plate oreientation is wrong in the pics, the single button is in the upper left corner.  I am just curious how to trim it to fit.

4_Torso_zps6bb06e91.jpg

5_AbPlate1_zpsb2664785.jpg

6_AbPlate2_zpsd71de5eb.jpg

Right Arm Lower portion, another question.  I am assuming that I just cut around wrist area to fit.  Also, I have some pics of gap later on. 

8_LeftArmLower_zpsee03e33d.jpg

Upper Left arm part, does this look correct? Or does it require trimming?

9_LeftArmUpper_zps98c3a9ea.jpg

Upper right arm, does this require any trimming?

10_RightArmUpper_zps4428d470.jpg

11_RightArmUpper2_zps5be32c7b.jpg

Here is the lower right arm portion, I am assuming this needs trimming up near the top (elbow side).  Is that correct?  Should the upper contours match the left arm (see pics above)?

12_RightArmLower_zps49e0b923.jpg

13_RightArmLower2_zps3454e518.jpg

13_RightArmLower_zpse916a76a.jpg

Here is the right leg lower gap, how tight should this be on the leg?

14_RightLegGap_zps34146df2.jpg

Lower left leg, same gap question, how much?

15_LeftLegGap_zps3e9e416c.jpg

Left Arm gap, once again how much gap is acceptable?

16_LeftArmGap_zps4bb465f2.jpg

Right arm gap, once again how much gap should I have?  (sorry if the question is getting redundant)

17_RightArmGap_zps48f56cb9.jpg

Right arm pieces, upper contour seems wrong compared to left arm (pic 2 below).

19_RightArmPcs_zpse3d653bc.jpg

18_LeftArmPcs_zps8b55b83a.jpg

Edited by mercury26

One other quick question, how wide should I make the ABS strip to connect two parts together? Is their a recommended guideline or requirement?

Thanks,

Chuck 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22913-finish-cover-strip-measurements/?hl=%2Bcover+%2Bstrip+%2Bwidth

1. Is it better to use E6000 adhesive or ABS adhesive?  I heard E6000 is more forgiving for mistakes but worry about overall strength.  

2. What is the best tool for cutting or trimming to fit?  Dremel? Snips? If so, any recommendations on type of snips?

The folks here at FISD taught me to love E-6000. If you mess up on anything, it is extremely forgiving. Just pop it off and then rub it away with a finger. If any squeezes out of a cover strip, use a scrap piece of plastic and you can rub it away. It is possible for a part to pop off, if abused heavily, but it is a quick fix. I did use some CA glue on the front of my shins (because they have a lot of stress when I put them on/off with the velcro in the back.) But I only CA glued them after fitting them and being absolutely sure of where they would go.

I used the score and snap method for the majority of my cutting (straight lines). I did use snips and a belt sander for trimming.

OK, I started looking starting some trimming and test assembly.  Based on some opinions from others, sounds like the ab and kidney plate might be a good place to start.  As with my other posts with pics, I have questions inline with the pictures. 

Looking at the ab plate, the cod cover seems way too long front to back.  I drew a blue line where it might seem prudent to cut.  Any thoughts?

1_CodPiece_zpsba2d5a4a.jpg

2_CodPiece_zpsb5bc1474.jpg

3_CodPiece_zpsddc83016.jpg

Similar question on butt plate portion of the armor, the lower part seems too long from back to front.  The blue line shows where I am thinking of cutting.

5_RearPiece_zps532b3a49.jpg

4_RearPiece_zps28ef0caf.jpg

Now for the Ab button plates, my thinking is the I trim the outer edge around the blue part and then glue to part highlighted in orange (in pic 2).  Is that correct?

7_CenterButton_zpsf98bada3.jpg

8_PlateButton_zps16593d63.jpg

Same thing for the button plate on the left side.  Cut around the blue and glue to the area highlighted in orange.  Correct?

9_SideButton_zps5b14c895.jpg

10_SideButton_zpsd75e350b.jpg

11_PlateSide_zpsf54a2041.jpg

Last set of pics for doing some trimming, is the border highlighted in blue seem to make sense for trimming.  I looked at a lot of pics and seems to be the right area to trim.

6_ShoulderStrap_zps5cff5d35.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chuck

Blue line trimming looks good. You might want to keep some more around the big ab button plate, to help the glue stick but the others look fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been lagging.  I just realized that I had not updated my thread in 10 days.  THough I have not made much progress, as I have been busy with family and traveling for work.  I made some more progress today and got over my hesitation to make my first cut.  I figured that I would start with the Ab Button plates to get a feel for cutting the ABS plastic.  I have some pics below showing the cut ab button plates which I will probably paint soon.  Also, I cut the bottom of cod plate which is shown below.  Everything to me looks good so far, but open to opinions.  Some questions, the return edge on the ad plate seems too large and was thinking of trimming.  Thoughts?  Also, the sides have some pointy edges that I thought could use some sanding to round off a bit more.

1_4Bttn_zps9f51c349.jpg

3_4BttnPlate2_zps12c93add.jpg

6_5Bttn1_zps3b833d98.jpg

7_5Bttn2_zpseb6498bc.jpg

Here are some pics of the cut cod at the bottom.

4_CodCut_zpsa8b9e019.jpg

5_CodCut2_zpsc0bb1b63.jpg

Here are some pics of the ab plate return edges which look a little too wide to me.  Should they be trimmed???

9_AbSide2_zpsb3b6ee54.jpg

10_AbSide3_zpsd50a0bd8.jpg

Here is a pic of corner edges that I think should be more rounded, rather sharp right now.  You can see some of the corner edges above also.

8_AbSide1_zpsea1ccd8b.jpg

Thanks in advance, 

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for checking in and definitely want to get trooping soon.  I have been fighting some sickness the last three weeks, first a virus then a nasty cold.  I will be back up and running this weekend.  I have made some progress and will post some pics.  My wife wants it done for my (soon to be) 2y/o birthday.  Got to get working..!

• 9 months later...

OK, after a very long hiatus.  I am about to get restarted again and (the impossible) try to finish in the next 4 weeks for my 7y/o (soon to be 8) daughters Star Wars themed birthday party.  I am going to need a lot of help, but feel that if I can focus my time can get it done.  I started a new job at a start-up since I last posted and it has been extremely time consuming.  Also in my quest for a Centurion level build, I did something that I was unhappy with.  The build will look good, but will lose some comfort (which unfortunately demotivated me).  Nonetheless, I am looking forward to getting this going.