Hyperfirm E-11 barrel mod

I felt the barrel of the Hyperfirm E-11 could use a little pizzazz. So I added some reflective tape and a circular piece of glass for a nice glare effect.

216342_10152110040375031_714173435_n.jpg

To do this you will need:

539606_10152110040460031_414382702_n.jpg

A glass microscope slide or a scrap piece of glass (it only needs to be ~1 cm in diameter)

Red reflective safety tape

Scissors

Compass

Tape

Drill and assorted drill bits

Dremel with a grinding bit

Safety glasses!

****Note a round mailbox reflector has been used by a garrison mate to achieve the same result and may be easier.****

Step 1: Carefully drill out the end of the barrel using a small bit to get a feel of the speed and how the rubber and foam move about during drilling. Carefully move up in size to hollow out about a 1 cm diameter. Use scissor or a hobby knife to clean up the edges. Also a small bit near the outside edge can help to make a more even depth.

Step 2: Measure the diameter and adjust the compass accordingly. I used a small piece of masking tape to affix to the glass and make my circle. I also covered the tip of the pliers with tape to prevent breaking the glass.

Repeat using the compass on the back of the reflective tape and cut it out with scissors.

1017527_10152112231655031_22545208_n.jpg

Step 3: Break the glass to the approximate size you need (~1 cm). I found a couple pairs of pliers worked ok for this but feel free to experiment.

Step 4: Round the glass. Wearing safety glasses, I used the dremel and a sanding bit to round the glass out to my penciled in circle. This can take 15 minutes or more - don't rush.

Also make sure you hold the dremel in your left hand so the debris is flung downwards!

Step 5: Place the cut out reflective tape inside the barrel followed by the glass. For me the sizing was spot on and didn't need adhesive as the foam provided a snug fit.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to add your suggestions and experiment to this post. This was just my way of doing it. Grabbing an appropriate bit for use on glass would make this easier but I worked with what I had on hand at the time. Good luck.

Edited by RampantLion

Great little tutorial, but please don't take this the wrong way, why on earth would anyone add a red shiny thing to the front of ANY E11?.

Far better to just drill a nice tidy hole which will give it more of an origin.al feel.

I've pimped up a good few Hyper Firms over the years and with a little bit of thought and some cheeky little tricks here and there you can really make these Bad Boys look the part.

Sorry, I prefer to leave the glitter and sequins on my rather niffty 70's disco shirts and make a good

ol' E11 look like it was intended, but Hey!!, each to their own I suppose.

There are a few in the forums. Just a quick search should turn up what you need.

Repairs

D-ring installation

Sight printout

Add glass or plastic to scope

Another scope mod

Body modifications

Some light body modifications

You can also apply some of the mods meant for the resin/doopydoos E-11s. Depending on what you want to accomplish. The forums are huge but if you dig long enough you can find some good things. (Also some where on here was a mod for adding the wires you see on some blasters from the power cell. I can't find it at the moment though.) Good luck!

*editted to correct spelling error.

Edited by Leo
  • Like 1