What are the differences between certification levels?

I know the base certification is 501st approval, for getting into the 501st, but I have also seen two other certifications - Expert Infantryman and Centurion.

What are the reasons for getting these further certifications?  I have seen the extra details that are required in the costume database to get these certs, but are there restrictions during troops for those who don't have EIB or Centurion certification?

Yes, Trev. The Champaign and vodka are perks yes! At the 501st, we have a duty to those who come out to see us, to look as accurate as our knowledge and talents allow us to look. I NEVER want to hear, "something just doesn't look right." The only thing I want to hear is, "Mommy..I think he is a REAL Stormtrooper. One day, Trev, you might make a child's dream come true. Don't you want to look your best while doing that?? I know I do.

Yall are hilariously awesome. :D

If you read the CRL it states they are optional. But it's very much encouraged!

This thread in the "Recruits" subforum explains the idea. It's an older thread but the info is still relavent. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/5-expert-infantryman-badge-eib-program-overview/

PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Expert Infantryman status is not required for members of this detachment. It should be viewed as an optional set of requirements for those who wish to take the accuracy of their costumes to the next level, and be recognized accordingly. We're a costuming club - think of it as an award for costuming excellence and you get the picture.

The requirements will not replace or supersede 501st standards, but only serve as an inspiration for the level of accuracy that can be achieved. The standards are meant to be high but achievable, and any changes to the standards will need to be approved by a majority vote of this detachment.

Edited by TrooperTim

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts on the different levels.  I would tear my hair out if I attempted to get my costume to Centurion status on the first kit.  I am all for improving my costume after I get 501st approval for it, but I'm not going to shoot for the moon right out the gate.

A more verbose yet comprehensive explanation exists on why they were created.

EI was created right after I started FISD and was meant to be the stormtrooper version of the MEPD deployed program, as at the time (2006) costume standard were pretty low, and we wanted a way to:

1. Encourage people to upgrade their kits to be more accurate.

2. Give them clear guidance on what this means and how to do it (else #1 is pretty hard to do)

3. Provide recognition for those who have put in the extra effort to dial up their costumes.

The EI standards were meant to be able to be achievable with a reasonable amount of time & money, just like deployed status was. It was never meant to be the end-all be-all of accuracy, nor include any impossible to find or exorbitantly expensive parts. More info below:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8583-expert-infantryman-badge-eib-program-overview/

PROGRAM OVERVIEW

Expert Infantryman status is not required for members of this detachment. It should be viewed as an optional set of requirements for those who wish to take the accuracy of their costumes to the next level, and be recognized accordingly. We're a costuming club - think of it as an award for costuming excellence and you get the picture.

The requirements will not replace or supersede 501st standards, but only serve as an inspiration for the level of accuracy that can be achieved. The standards are meant to be high but achievable, and any changes to the standards will need to be approved by a majority vote of this detachment.

REQUIREMENTS OVERVIEW

Because the stormtroopers vary in details between each movie, Stormtrooper Detachment EIB (Expert Infantryman Badge) Requirements are broken down to include base Requirements that every stormtrooper must attain, plus movie-specific Requirements. This allows for a higher level of accuracy than can be achieved through a single standard.

Troopers achieving this distinction will be listed on the Expert Infantrymen page.

RELATION TO THE 501st Legion Costume Reference Library (CRL) Standards

Ideally the 501st CRL would capture the EIB requirements in the "SHOULD HAVE" sections of the relevant CRL entry. However until the CRL's are 100% confirmed, we'll continue to break them out in their own area.

Centurion came about as some people wanted to go beyond Expert Infantry and pull out all the stops as far as one could go on the accuracy bar with a Legion approvable costume. I call this out as the Legion has never been about prop replication per se, as how a prop looks in real life is not how it looked (or came across) on screen. We do try for screen accuracy however. :)

Thus I created the Centurion program in concert with Noel Green - the DL of MEPD at the time - creating the SWAT program. This was done about Feb 2011 or so. I can't seem to find the original thread anymore that explained the program overview like we have for EI :(

Here was the announcement at least from March 2011: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14747-new-costume-award-programs-for-mepdfisd-in-2011/

Rather than increasing the current program standards to a level only a few can achieve or else not providing any guidance for those with the accuracy bug, MEPD and FISD have decided to work in concert to help promote the highest standards of costuming. Given how much the base costumes have in common, keeping the detachment-specific programs in harmony will help reduce confusion among Legion members.

Consider the 501st standards being the "must haves" and the original detachment programs as the first step of "should haves". In the new programs the "should haves" become "must haves", and closer attention is paid to every visible detail.

NOTE: While there are those who aspire to it, these new designations are not meant to be a leap into "prop forgery". There will be no concern for what sort of strapping system is used, what connectors are made of, or what sort of plastic helmets and armor are pulled from. The focus will instead rest on the outward appearance of the costume, e.g. are there rivets on the sides where they should be and so on. "Prop forgery" has its place and may one day have its own recognition programs, but these are not it.

The MEPD's new designation will be "S.W.A.T."; in keeping with the "police force" spin of the detachment. Just as those who are deployed have gone one step beyond the Legion requirements, the "S.W.A.T." designation will be awarded to those members who have gone the extra effort beyond Police Officer status.

S.W.A.T are elite paramilitary tactical units in American law enforcement departments as well as some foreign police departments. They are trained to perform high-risk operations that fall outside of the abilities of regular officers. A SWAT team is often equipped with specialized firearms and equipment."

-- Source: Wikipedia

In keeping with the infantry theme of FISD's "Expert Infantryman" program and also drawing from the word "Legion", FISD will create the Centurion program.

Centurions often suffered heavy casualties in battle, generally fighting alongside the legionaries they commanded. They usually led from the front, occupying a position at the front right of the century formation. They led and inspired their men by example. They also sought to display the skill and courage that may have brought them to their rank in the first place. It is for these reasons that they often suffered a disproportionate number of casualties.

-- Source: Wikipedia

Does this help?

Daetrin, if I miseed this in a sticky post, then I sincerely apologize.

If it wasn't in a sticky post, then I think everything you just posted should be in one!  That was the most comprehensive and thorough explanation I have seen regarding the topic.  Thank you very much for putting it all in one place.

Edited by maxsteele

• 3 weeks later...