Cooling fans

Ryan

So, I just installed these fans I bought from Got Armor and I'm kinda taken aback by how *loud* these things are.

When I have them running, I can't hear anything at all while they're running... and people can hear them, as well. I had my wife try my bucket on, and I could hear the high-pitched hum of the fans as far as 10 feet away.

Is this normal? Are you supposed to be able to hear these things outside of the helmet?

I know some people who have "loud" fans, but that because you can hear them through their amp system. Otherwise, I really don't know why they'd be loud. I have 2 12v fans powered by 2 9v fans and they're anything but loud. Did you wire it yourself? If so, how'd you wire it up?

I have 2 12v fans powered by 2 9v fans and they're anything but loud. Did you wire it yourself? If so, how'd you wire it up?

I bought them pre-wired from got armor. They're the same voltage as yours so they should sound the same.

At least they do keep everything nice and cool. But the scary thing is that I wasn't using my voice amp at the time... They should be nice and annoying once I hook that up. :blink:

Where in the helmet do you have them positioned? Are they standard fans or are they the blower type (that blows out the side, some folks call them squirrel cage fans)?

I've had instances where the blowers would start to rub against their casing and make a high pitched sort of whining as it did so, so that may be the case.

Where in the helmet do you have them positioned? Are they standard fans or are they the blower type (that blows out the side, some folks call them squirrel cage fans)?

They're standard PC fans... I currently have them mounted on the frown.

I'm thinking I might dremel out the lines in the traps on the back of the helmet and move them up there, as I'm afraid to put a live mic next to these things. :lol:

You might also want to try insulating the fan from the dome of the bucket by glueing in some kind of rubber foam (like pieces from an old computer mouse pad). This will dampen any vibration that is transferred to the helmet when the fan is operating.

My 2 Imperial cents! :)

Don G.

TK-5372

• 2 weeks later...

They make a brushless fan as well. I think Radio Shack has brushless fans. they're about 12 bucks each. Standard CPU fans can be quite noisy. You might want to attatch your fans wist velcro tabs. If the fan housing actualy touches the plastic, even by glue, you can get vibration from the fan that reverbates thruoghout your bucket. I have mine sitting on four little pads of velcro.

Might want to try the squirrel cage fans instead since they move air sideways inside the helmet.

I bought two from Radio Shack for about $10 each. They are 12 volt fans but run great with a 9 volt battery.

• 1 month later...
How loud are those blower fans compared to the standard 20mm computer fan?

They are pretty quiet. These fans are great because they blow air up into the helmet instead of straight at you. The back of the fan is just solid plastic so they are also easier to mount. I put a little stand I made from styrene under them so I can turn them 45? and pivet them up and down. I should probably added that to my tutorial.

What's the battery life like?

Originally, I built this system using three 9V batteries and the system lasted about four hours. It got too expensive to changed out 9Vs for every event so I switched to AAs (this tutorial) and so far I have done three 4 hr troops and I am still on my first set of batteries.

• 2 months later...

I want to apply steve's cool method into my bucket but need to know something. I shall be getting the battery boxes and the fans but need to know what switch would be best to buy from this site to mount into one of the battery boxes.

I shall be using 8 AA's like he is but dont know what switch to buy from this site where I am getting the battery boxes from cause some of the ones that look good to use are 3amp,6amp and so forth.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

skywalker_1982 said:

I want to apply steve's cool method into my bucket but need to know something. I shall be getting the battery boxes and the fans but need to know what switch would be best to buy from this site to mount into one of the battery boxes.

I shall be using 8 AA's like he is but dont know what switch to buy from this site where I am getting the battery boxes from cause some of the ones that look good to use are 3amp,6amp and so forth.

I used ones that look identicle to Item #2750617. They might even be made by the same company, but I bought mine at Radio Shack. Same amps and everything. But I am definately not the electronics guy in the forum. :huh:

As stated in my PM, my best guess without seeing them is 2750694 or 2750693. If I am wrong, fortunitly you are only out 1.5 pounds. Be sure to let us know when you get them. You will probably need to bend the metal prongs down to make it fit in the battery holder. I had to do that on mine too.