and how does a fan who makes latex handguards say that latex crumbles to dust?

how does that happen? I mean really?

A fan who produces them for 4 years know such things. And the phyiscal properties of latex are well known.

Please, explain in your almighty wisdom, why the EFX hg are not cast from originals, but were sculpted by using screen shot?

how does latex crumble to dust karin?

I've made my own handguards and they are tough as nails.

even better than ones you made for me my dear lady.

I suppose it's really the latex itself.  the latex I use is very expensive and I add white to them.

I think the handguards look fine on the suit shown.

also it's interesting to see the flare on the chest. and it sure would be cool to see the abdomen plate

with the belt removed. so we can see if the centerline is offset like the RS suit.

I think the elstree bucks, and the AA bucks, and then the tour suit bucks have differences

especially in the cod area of the AB and the flare on the chest.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Latex is a natural polymer. Because of oxygen, light, heat, other radikal the chains break down. It becomes a sticky mess, which will dry out with time.

Ever found a broken condom in your wallet?

Edited by Sonnenschein

Price is alot, but they usually use nice heavy material for their stuff.  It also will be completely built and not just a kit, including all the extras a person doesn't get when they buy a kit to make.  It also apparently is going to come with a display stand too, which I assume is some kind of mannequin.  Folks easily spend 1K+ to complete their TK's along with a ton of time investment to make it.  Yea you can make one yourself cheaper, but you know many will gladly pay for convenience.  Being one size only design also is not going to suddenly make it a must have and open flood gates to everyone just buying a suit to get into the 501st..... most people wont fit into it properly :P

As been said, this looks to be the best commercially made set yet, it's a licensed product and looks like a darn good job compared to what we saw in the past. 

Edited by PanzerKraken

how does latex crumble to dust karin?

I've made my own handguards and they are tough as nails.

even better than ones you made for me my dear lady.

I suppose it's really the latex itself.  the latex I use is very expensive and I add white to them.

I think the handguards look fine on the suit shown.

Sure,in 2013  there better latex available than in 1977. lots of stabilizers, antioxidant.

You can add white color to it, but that not screen accurate.

Yes, the Gino hand guards look fine, but there are NOT cast of screen used ones.

Let's continue the discussion about latex degradation in about 15 years, when even your uber perfect guards are gone :D

interesting comparison... but it still does not stand up to the latex HG's that I've made.  I keep one in the sun all the time just to see how it reacts.

I personally don't believe that the handguards had to be resculpted, perhaps you just need to see a photo of the actual existing HG

to perhaps know if they are latex or plastic.

they in fact look a whole heck of a lot like an AP handguard, with the curve across the back of the hand.

I have never had a latex device in a wallet. that's not how I roll.

the latex I use is pure latex with simple ammonia in it which then evaporates.

I don't bake my latex, I just brush on thin layers

personally I don't want chipper handguards, maybe someday.

just like an HDPE lid... maybe the chipper will grow on me.

in 15 years I'll be 67 years old.  most likely I'll not be wearing my gear by then.

I won't think anything about this suit until it's in production and we see finished products. A nice prototype is easy to make and display. They did that with the "Legend" Vader which turned out less than perfect too, despite all the hype. The MR Fett helmet was also a really nice prototype, but the finished product was not. Especially considering the price on both those helmets, it left a lot to be desired.

Heck, even the rubies looked decent in the first pictures they released.

Did anyone not see the hyperfirm blasters they used, btw? :)

Well regardless of the claims it IS the best commercially available suit. As long as it does not cause the armor makers here to be persecuted I'm for anything that can bring the love of Star Wars forward.

90 percent of the world does not know who Troopermaster or RS is.

This isn't for avid hobbyists but for the lay person to go cool! Look at the don post statues they sell to rich folks who want a display not a normal person who wants a costume or to join the 501st.

That being said, I would totally buy that hero neck seal if I could.

I really like the look of the finishing strips. the assembly looks really good compared to much we've seen before.

The arms are long, the lean look is there. the shoulder bell has the swoop, but the bells are cleaned up quite a bit

compared to the sandy suits that were repainted. the pinch is missing, and the suit does look a lot like the

one shown in screenshots on the tantive.

the belt looks exactly like the RS belt to me and the holster cut speaks volumes!~

I'm at the con with echo rogue..... Gonna head back down to the eFX booth to try and investigate again....

Anyone have any questions they want me to ask when I get down there.

This is definitely not a rubies costume.... But so many questions need to be answered....

Hmmmmm too expensive

U get more bang from your money with a TM, CfO, RS, ATA 

Lets not forget that that the suit on display ay SDCC will have 1000% more work and time invested to make look good then what will be made in the future.

When I consider all the time I spent waiting and searching and finally building my kit, I would buy that one at that price in a heartbeat.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ATA kit and building it was fun, but not as much fun as trooping in it, and an off the shelf kit like that would have got me out trooping about a year earlier.  That would have been worth the price of admission.

I think it looks great.

Yup we've got a FB group going with some people on the ground. I'm trying to give peace a chance. Just a bit offended at their price tag and method of sale.

It's all just inquiry, folks! :D

The guys on the Rebel Scum forum are drooling over this thing as if they've never known they could get an accurate Stormtrooper. I guess some of them must not know about FISD. http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1100218/

Don't laugh, I've never even heard of "Rebel Scum" as a group. :P

Looks like a Hyperfirm E-11 to me. The missing D-Ring and the seam is a good hint.

This is what the boys on the ground said - that it's surely a hyperfirm. Not confirmed by the booth staff though.

When I consider all the time I spent waiting and searching and finally building my kit, I would buy that one at that price in a heartbeat.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ATA kit and building it was fun, but not as much fun as trooping in it, and an off the shelf kit like that would have got me out trooping about a year earlier.  That would have been worth the price of admission.

I think it looks great.

I cannot disagree with this. But unless it fits you perfectly, you're not going to get approved and troop in it right away, and you're going to spend a heartache's time modifying it to fit you correctly, and while it's not from scratch, it IS heart-wrenching to worry about breaking apart and messing up your $2k investment, as opposed to your $700 investment.

-----

I happen to agree with Vern, it is a nice looking suit, even put together with the movie style brackets and all that. I have no comment on its origins, other than Gino apparently worked with them. I don't even really know who Gino is, just that his name comes up a lot with regard to original suits. Not my area of expertise. I'm very glad to see the canvas belt, by the way - I have garrison mates who refuse to ever give up their plastic ones, and this just ups the game by demonstrating FISD folk aren't the only anal ones out there.

From what I've seen just from these photos, if someone joined my garrison today with that suit, and it fit them well, except for the minor CRL details between Stunt and Hero, I would probably pass it. It sure beats FX which is still approvable (with mods).

Vern: one argument: I can get 2.5 ATAs for that price, not counting the accessories, which could double on any suit anyway. So I could have a Hero, a Stunt, and an ESB ready to wear by swapping helmets and some accessories like belt, worn over my common neck seal, undersuit, boots, gloves, etc. Only need one blaster.

I understand Karin's argument that they are claiming it's 100% recast from original suit (which would explain a lot of the softness), but if the hand guards are not recast, then they are basically lying about it being 100% recast from an original suit. Right? Right. That's all. Nothing to get too excited over :)

I do have a specific call out to the Epic team to get a photo of one of them in their armored awesomeness next to it, so we can compare side-by-side, especially the helmet, since the "other" eFX helmet needs mods to pass muster these days. I'm talking RS Props and AP suits. Maybe a CAP helmet. Dunno what the guys have on.

I cannot disagree with this. But unless it fits you perfectly, you're not going to get approved and troop in it right away, and you're going to spend a heartache's time modifying it to fit you correctly, and while it's not from scratch, it IS heart-wrenching to worry about breaking apart and messing up your $2k investment, as opposed to your $700 investment.

$700?  My wife wishes.  Hah

All said and done, I've easily got 12-1300(and counting) in my ATA, and that's not counting my time that was invested in assembling it.  I put a pretty high price tag on my "free" time so that puts it much over the 2k price tag of this suit. 

Since I'm pretty much the exact size of what I've heard the casting call for Stormtroopers was, I think there would be a good chance it would fit me pretty good.   That's why I said I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

Although I don't think it really needs to fit me perfectly, I've seen plenty of approved troopers who are swimming in their suits, or have to be shoehorned into some pieces.  :P

How do we know the hand guards aren't somehow cast of an original?  Just curious how that conclusion was come to.

Since I'm pretty much the exact size of what I've heard the casting call for Stormtroopers was, I think there would be a good chance it would fit me pretty good.   That's why I said I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

Although I don't think it really needs to fit me perfectly, I've seen plenty of approved troopers who are swimming in their suits, or have to be shoehorned into some pieces.  :P

You're one of the lucky few. :) But! Just because others can get away with looking sloppy, doesn't mean it should be encouraged :D I personally wouldn't approve someone who didn't need to make sizing adjustments to help the suit fit him correctly.

I have ATA and it's not even as nice as AP.  ATA is just cap-w anyway.  while I like terrell and all, there's just no way you could get into 3 suits for under 2k?

I could go into where ATA makes some mistakes.  the lid undercut is wrong, the ears are wrong, the belt is the wrong size. the chest pulls can have huge seam lines

in them which have to be novused out or wetsanded if you get HIPS.  ATA is affordable for a reason.

only thing I see is some difference in the backplate... the twinkie and doughnut look different.

it looks like there's a major difference in the twinkie area.

(the twinkies are the 2 vertical bars on the backplate)

here's a photo

normal_IMG_4645~0.JPG

one of the other things I noticed is that the drop boxes do indeed have backs on them!

ing- to do hero stunt and esb like I have you need the following:

three helmets. one hero, one stunt and one esb

three holsters ( one looped esb, one hero 4 bolt, one stunt 2 bolt)

three belts ( one with no holes, one with 2 holes and one with 4 holes.)

3 sets of handguards and gloves ( one set of clamshell for esb- mine are sewn on silk short gloves) a latex type 1(hero) and latex type 2(stunt)

2 blasters

I own EIB for my hero and ESB. and when I lose my torso weight back to normal I'll probably apply with my stunt setup.

so eventually when my body responds to my excercise and probiotics I'll lose the bloat and get back to trooping.

I still have HWT and TX kits to finish up, but I'm waiting for my body to respond.

As far as pricing I could get 2 RS suits or 2 TM suits or 2 CFO suits (unassembled) for that with some money left. Granted in kit form.

For 2k if you are serious about it pay TM or RS to assemble their suit for it with money left AND it would fit like a glove.

The only thing I see wrong with the price is that it will lure people to waste money because they will buy it thinking "I can be a stormtrooper with no work!" And then find it does not fit at all and have to figure out how to butcher the 2000 dollar set up to make it wearable for most of the public. (No way it would come close to fitting me)

I'm actually surprised it is as cheap as it is. It would have tempted me as a display piece before I came here. It looks great honestly and is the first time any thing like a "real" TK has been offered in a licsened product line.

I think true hobbiest would be better served getting a top of the line unlicensed suit they could build themselves for the experience of it, but to each their own.

For 2k if you are serious about it pay TM or RS to assemble their suit for it with money left AND it would fit like a glove.

Quote for truth!

I was thinking along the same lines.  Aren't we approved for the armor and how well it fits? 

SIDENOTE: My RS Props ordered to fit boot to blaster complete kit w/a second belt without drop boxes/holster = $2300. 

I just took tons of pics.... Posting in the next post. Guess what, the eFX only come in one size, including the shoe (size ten only).

I spoke briefly with my earlier contact at the booth, and told them it mostly certainly would destroy their marketability to the masses. He agreed but it was a decision above his head.