Punkers AP Armor Build Thread

Thanks, good info!

I guess I worded one of my questions poorly. I was referring to the ABS strap that connects the chest piece and the back piece over your shoulders. how did you determine its placement where you glued it on to the chest?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, good info!

I guess I worded one of my questions poorly. I was referring to the ABS strap that connects the chest piece and the back piece over your shoulders. how did you determine its placement where you glued it on to the chest?

Ahh I see. I would suggest you put it on and have someone look at how much material shows in the front vs the back. The way I did it was putting three ribs plus the big rib in front because I am shorter and sort of skinny and not much material looked good in front. It's better to have more in the back and I believe most people have between 5 - 7 ribs showing going towards the back plate.

I don't know what level you're applying to, but I believe for Centurion at least the fabric that connects the chest and back at the shoulders is supposed to be white, not black.

"The plastic shoulder straps need to be held down in the back via a white elastic band to the white fabric that connects/bridges the chest and back piece."

Also, when it comes to the rank stripes on the ears, I thought the only options were to paint the back line or the pack two lines.  I haven't seen the way you've done it before, but I could be totally wrong here.

I don't know what level you're applying to, but I believe for Centurion at least the fabric that connects the chest and back at the shoulders is supposed to be white, not black.

"The plastic shoulder straps need to be held down in the back via a white elastic band to the white fabric that connects/bridges the chest and back piece."

This is for centurion only per the CRL. There is no requirement for shoulder strapping color or material per the basic or EIB parts of the CRL to my knowledge.

Also, when it comes to the rank stripes on the ears, I thought the only options were to paint the back line or the pack two lines. I haven't seen the way you've done it before, but I could be totally wrong here.

As for ear markings, I found this pattern per the whitearmor forums for a "Captain" rank. Edited by Punkers

This is for centurion only per the CRL. There is no requirement for shoulder strapping color or material per the basic or EIB parts of the CRL to my knowledge.

As for ear markings, I found this pattern per the whitearmor forums for a "Captain" rank.

OK, like I said I don't really know about the ear markings, I'm just basing that on what I've seen.  And yes, the shoulder strapping color is only for Centurion, I wasn't sure what level you were building for.

(Just some comments from a guy who's at about the same stage as you and is thinking about these same details)  :)

Edited by Techne

OK, like I said I don't really know about the ear markings

No worries, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't appreciate the comment. Just referencing the CRL appears those things aren't required for basic at least. I'm going for EIB eventually, but right now is just emergency mode to get 501st approved in time for our Comic Con next week.

Round two. I made a few changes today and hopefully things are looking a little better :)   I riveted the holster to the belt, raised the chest and lowered the AB, and then put some strapping and elastic with a mild curve on the butt plate to get things sitting a little nicer.

These including the previous have all been submitted for approval:

DSC00082_zps6f2ce9d6.jpg

DSC00083_zps30ea81ff.jpg

DSC00085_zps0ca24827.jpg

DSC00087_zps505fae7c.jpg

DSC00089_zps2af622f5.jpg

DSC00092_zps2d2a29f3.jpg

Mate, I think your L Thigh  cover strip is too long....from the pix I've seen it stops (about an inch) before the bottom....check some pictures on this site to verify...other than that it looks great !

Edited by Oztrooper

Tyler, first off, CONGRATULATIONS on your 501st approval!!!  Totally awesome build thread.  Greatly appreciate that you have shared your progress along the way.  I just found your build today, because of the new comments on it.

Reading through it, only one thing jumped out at me that I'd comment on looking to change and Oztrooper commented on that a bit earlier today - the L thigh strip. 

Otherwise though, as I said - I greatly appreciate the build thread that you put together.  Really very solid, and I did learn a few little things in reading it that I hadn't really seen/picked up on before, so thanks again for sharing.  Someday, when my kit arrives, I'll be able to apply what I've learned.

Congrats again!

Congrats! Looks good. If you notice that you're getting "crooked leg syndrome" ie, your thigh is angling inside - you can try a little foam on the outside part of your thigh and it should straighten your thigh piece out a little. (I have skinny legs so if I don't do that my legs always look a little broken).

Congrats! Looks good. If you notice that you're getting "crooked leg syndrome" ie, your thigh is angling inside - you can try a little foam on the outside part of your thigh and it should straighten your thigh piece out a little. (I have skinny legs so if I don't do that my legs always look a little broken).

Thanks for the comments all.    I haven't noticed the "crooked" leg syndrome, but I appreciate this tip!  I will have to double check some more recent photos and add foam if it is there.

Question - my build has begun - AP armor, ANH build.   The cover strips I find are pretty wide, like well over an inch, whereas they should be closer to 5/8 or 15mm.  I take it you cut these down.   Or are there cover strips that either I'm missing or my son misplaced when he got everything out of the box?

Good job by the way.

Question - my build has begun - AP armor, ANH build.   The cover strips I find are pretty wide, like well over an inch, whereas they should be closer to 5/8 or 15mm.  I take it you cut these down.   Or are there cover strips that either I'm missing or my son misplaced when he got everything out of the box?

Good job by the way.

The cover strips on forearms and biceps  are 15mm while the leg pieces are 20mm. You should have received some 1 1/2 - 1 3/4" strips from Mark and those have to be cut to fit. The best method is to use a pencil on the non glossy size and then score it slowly with a razor blade and then fold and snap them apart.  

Good luck and hope that helps.