Just curious.... Maintenance time spent?

SmilesLikeJoker

On average, how much time do you spend on maintenance/upkeep?  Things break, loosen, crack, unravel, get unintentional dirty (unless you're a Sandy :P ), get scratched, etc...  

"With great power...errr...armor comes great responsibility....to maintain it." - Uncle Ben.....Kenobi :P

Thanks!

Patrick

I have averaged about 1 fix per troop lately, generally no more than 30-60 mins of effort put in. Though today I had three cracks in my back plate for some reason from yesterday's troop. I guess I gotta stop break-dancing. 

Honestly I spend more time making sure everything is organized/inspected after a troop (and AIRED OUT). Not having a car, I frequently have to go to troops via transit, so things go into smaller, more portable carriers (compared to my Stanley Tote). 

I use a wheeled golf bag. tall and slim and folds up into my helmet bag.

when I troop my handler totes my gear and takes photos.

he's the reason why I get such good photos!

Probably a dozen troops now and I haven't had to make a repair yet. I wash my neck seal and body suit, give everything a quick inspection/wipedown and clean off any real bad scuffs and put it all back in the tub for next troop. Maybe 10 minutes after each troop.

I'm actually a bit surprised I haven't had to make any repairs as I'm not afraid to run, jump, sit, fall or whatever in my suit.

Edited by MisterFubar

Apart from losing some elastic in one if my shoulder straps I have not had any armor fix issues. Day after a troop I wash all soft parts and lid foam and spend about 15 with some spray cleaner and tag and give the hard armor a good rub down.

As like Clamps I spend most of my time sorting aranging and making sure everything is there :D

Except for one female snap falling apart of the elastc I haven't had any repairs in 7 troops. And I don't clean the outside of my armor - all scratches and marks are part of the battle damage ;-)

I've only had 1 or 2 snaps fail and 1 snap tear through its strap. Most of my "maintenance" is giving the armor a buff and wipe down after each troop which probably takes less than 30 minutes (and to be honest I probably only do it once every 3 troops unless there is some really noticeable mark).

I've had cracking in the chestplate, but re-enforcing it and trimming the neckline seems to have stopped it.  I've had two straps come apart, but a little Gorilla glue fixed those.  I've had the back of a thigh piece that got caught on the butt plate and started splittling, but a little re-enforcement and Gorilla glue nipped that in the butt.  My mic tips almost came off last troop lol.  I do find myself having to re-glue my hand plates after every troop.  Small stuff thus far.....

I'm averaging about 30-45 minutes wiping down with disinfect, inspecting, and re-packing for the next troop/storage.  I consider that maintenance.  That's what peaked my interest on how much others are spending.

Thanks!
Patrick