Looking for E-11 spring...?

fritzthefox

Anyone know where the best source of an inexpensive return spring for a pipe-built E-11 would be? I'd prefer a relatively weak spring, rather than a bent wire or something, since the bolt will actually function. 

Any ideas are welcome. 

I used a thin metal coat hanger and wrapped the wire around a broom handle, it is springy and I have a working bolt which has not failed as yet. Some hardware stores have springs, other than that I would say search the evil bay :D

I was looking at those unicoils, but was having trouble finding the appropriate size. (All the auto parts searches want to search by make and model of car instead of actual diameter of the coil) Do you recall which brand or model number it was? 

The interior of my PVC will allow up to 1.25 inch spring. I think the actual return spring on a Sterlin was closer to an inch, but I'm guessing. Anyone know?

How springy are the above examples? I have a pipe build with resin bolt that will slide back and forth, but if the spring is really strong I think it would stress the resin handle too much. 

Edited by fritzthefox

oq5NeYa.jpgthat is true fritz which is why I did NOT take the coathanger approach. This coolant hose coil is NOT model specific. They do have a couple different sizes available. Sadly I don't remember what brand this was but I did buy it at Pep Boys. It is a loose tension so sliding the bolt is no problem

Just an update (I hate threads without closure): I purchased a spring from Reid Supply which turned out to be perfect. You have to be careful about choosing shipping from them, though, or you will get scalped. (It defaults to UPS, but you can select USPS for a much better price).

Thanks, guys! 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I have a real deact sterling and was refinishing it since one of the previous owners purposely added rust or something akin to it by painting it on. The real finish I can see though is smooth, and not the crinkle paint I've heard some are.... Looks legit!

Looks great! I have a real deact sterling and was refinishing it since one of the previous owners purposely added rust or something akin to it by painting it on. The real finish I can see though is smooth, and not the crinkle paint I've heard some are.... Looks legit!

congrats, any pics?