Armor painting

I am currently working on my 1st suit of armor. Purchased an AP suit from a reputable member and I am totally stoked about my "Sandie" build! I saw something on youtube over the weekend that peaked my interest...a guy in Australia painted the inside of his armor pieces in black. It looked cool but I was wondering what the 501st permits on this matter? I will be looking to be part of the 501st upon completion of my build and dont want any silly mistakes.

Plz advise.

Thx!

Tim

TD-1066

Hi, Tim!

I'd suggest not painting the armor, especially not such a nice juicy suit as the AP. Nobody sees the inside anyway, if it fits you properly, and you run the risk of bleeding black onto the edges or overspray onto the suit, and then you have to paint or sand the outside as well. Also, wherever the suit rubs against other parts of the suit - i.e. the inside of the chest piece over the outside of the ab piece - you will get significantly more visible discoloration and scuffing than normally happens.

Some older types of armor did require painting on the outside, in which case you could also paint the inside, as may be the case in the video (it doesn't play for me). Some troopers paint the inside of their helmets black, which looks cool to the wearer but I'm not sure it serves any real function.

That's my $0.02, but you are, of course, free to do what you please.

Ingrid

There are no specifications in regards to the inside of your armor parts. It is in my opinion a tremendous amount of lost effort for something that really serves no purpose. Tricking out a helmet is one thing...but the armor?