Lack of TKs these days?

Laspector

First off I want to say I enjoy trooping and I love all my fellow troopers and appreciate their costumes and their love of Star Wars.  So I am NOT trying to put anyone down here.

So with that said, it seems to me, that when I do get to troop these days (it's not nearly enough, but I do it when I can) I tend to see less and less of the core costumes ie TKs, Vaders, etc.  It seems (at least where I am) everyone is going towards the more "comfortable" or easier to build, or cheaper costumes.  I have nothing against these costumes as long as they are accurate, but to me those costumes alone just do not constitute a "real" Star Wars event.  I know that if I was just one of the general public and I went to an advertised Star Wars event and all I saw was a Tie Fighter pilot, an officer, an AT AT driver and maybe a snowtrooper I would feel seriously let down.  I mean let's face it, most of the general public have no idea who these characters are!  I can't count the times I have trooped with a Tie Fighter pilot where at least two or more people have to ask them "what are you?". Other than the occasional kid thinking I am a Power Ranger, everybody knows what a Stormtrooper is...Even if they don't know the term "stormtrooper" they at least know the "Star Wars guys".....

Maybe I am alone in feeling this way.  Maybe it's just because, since 1977, a Stormtrooper outfit is the only costume I have ever wanted.  It's the only one I will ever want.  I think it's great people have multiple costumes, but it's just not for me.  If I can't be a TK, I don't want to do this anymore.

What are your feelings on this matter?

From my personal experience ( Pretty new, so only 6 troops on my tour of duty) I can only tell that I never attended a troop with less than 3 TK´s.

Maybe it is a local phenomenon, but we in the German Garrison have a big base of TK´s and TD´s.

There are 415 members listed, and around 160 of them have a TK, 40 have a TD and around 20 have a Vader.

I can´t complain of this problem of to few people wearing their TK´s and TD´s, although I would feel the same dissatisfaction if it happens here too.

Edited by Minuteman

I haven't found that problem here in Alberta. We did a big event in April that started with a parade and although there were the other characters of course it was mostly a field of white and dirty white. It was a beautiful site and another wonderful part for me was that a rather large percent of the armored troopers there were female...awesome!

Thanks

Denise

No lack of TKs in SCG! Population has a lot to do with it, and access to good costuming resources from Hollywood (i.e. getting stuff for making molds and classes for heavy-duty propmaking).

In my observation, what happens a lot is that many people start with a basic or more iconic costume like the TK, and then want to be a little 'different' and start going for those other, potentially more obscure costumes. For some, the psychology is "the more different the better." When 4 other TKs are signed up, they might reach for that "other" costume. It's also why I like my new (wip) HWT, so i look a little different than the other TKs, but I am still a TK. Though ultimately I like the fact we all look alike.

It sounds like in your case others went for the comfort factor perhaps, and it's not so much about "standing out," because there aren't enough TKs to make people want to feel different.

My costume list has 10+ characters on it, but my first love is and will always be the TK. And I also think TKs look best when there are more than one... more than three... lol. The more the better. Give me a hundred Stormtroopers! Just put me up front and let me wear my pauldron! 

no matter how padded the list of costumes... the bulk should always be TK's

smaller events suffer in some cases...

all my costume variants planned include the TK

the TIe pilot and the officer are almost an easy given after the TK.

I agree with Ingrid that local population is the key.  In the MWG and surrounding garrisons whenever a troop pops up (especislly if it's a big popular one) there is never a shortage of any costumes.

Here's a grerat one the garrison did in Joliet, Ill.  Different costumes up the wazoo!  This is the MWG and a couple of neighboring garrisons though, but turnout for most, while not as many as this, can be similar

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Imagine its a garrison thing.  Have seen some local events happen with not a single TK present which really motivated to get to working on my TK as I do think that it should be a core costume for 501st.  Down here in South Florida we have a crazy amount of Scouts including me which was a big surprise (believe scout outnumbers all the other costumes locally?).  Yet see some garrisons/squads with almost none or only a couple.

I do think we are seeing more of other costumes though due to them being easier, for example the numbers on the Tie Fighter costumes on the 501st page just keep going up extremely fast in large part due to the Reserve Pilot costume, and other costumes too which are easier for folks to get in.  It takes work to get into the 501st and you will have those who want the easy access, and you also have the others who want to work on more elaborate costumes but hate how long they have to wait to get armor and how much time and work will go into it.  So they take on a simple costume just to get in the door.

And you just have more costume choices now with the more stuff that gets added and no doubt more will be added once the new animated series is released and new movies.

In Mexican garrison we have a lack of storm troopers. Basically, that is due because two main reasons, maybe 3:

First, people want to feel special and stand apart from the mass. So a sea of tks was not the way to go. So most of those who started as white stormtroopers eventually moved on into other characters.

Also, most of the left tks were convinced or inspired to become sand troopers.

And finally, there is a weird phenomenon in our garrison where the clone troopers, specially ep 3, seem to be very popular.

So, in any given troop we would have maybe 3 sandtroopers, 1 of any white tks, +3 clones and a variety of other characters from with lords to acolytes to jaws and imperial officers.

Maybe a garrison thing too. Anyway, I would love to be in a troop with more than 10 tks, but that is vey j likely to happen here.

Saudos.

Darrell, I feel that my garrison is similar to yours: we have plenty of the lesser known characters and just a handful of TK's. Seems like everyone wants to have a unique or different costume, or be a very specific character. I also own a Biker scout so that I can keep trooping in the cold weather during the winter months outdoors so that I don't freeze wearing my TK. We seem to always have a Biker scout at most events, they are more popular than TK's with us. We only have one sandtrooper!

I agree...Seems like Comic_Con has less and less TK's every year. In 2005 it was almost all TK's and 6 Clones. in 2012 it was almost all Clones and 6 TK's and I was the ONLY Sandtrooper. :(

Edited by TK-4510

I do feel that there should always be a TK or two thrown in the mix, because thats what most people like to see at events, and they are just plain cool. ;)  

Having said that, I have a lot of different costumes, all of which are screen accurate. I did not create them out of comfort or price point, but just the fact that I like them and they are a part of Star Wars.

I don't have much sympathy for those poor lost soles (who are adult fans) that don't recognize a screen accurate imperial officer, or a TIE pilot, or a Snow Trooper. We're not there for those folks who have so little knowledge of Star Wars that they call TIE pilots Darth Vader & any clone Capt Rex. Those people should just go home, watch the movies, then come back and try again. :D  We are there for those folks who jump for joy when they see a Navy Trooper, or a Tusken, or a Biker Scout and congratulate us on how accurate they look and how happy we made their kids! Of course not to mention....the kids. They love everything! ...Well usually. heh. :)           

If you really, really want to see more TKs in your garrison or squad, you have a few options...

1) fork out the money for new kits for folks [sarcasm warning] (ha, like that's going to happen!) [/sarcasm warning]

2) sell kits at a more reasonable price (not really possible due to the increasing costs of raw materials, quality TK armor costs a LOT to finish, and there is always the "Rule of 3")

If you want it done quickly and accurately, it will not be cheap.

If you want it cheap and accurate, it not be done quickly.

If you want it done quickly and cheap, it will not be quality

3) help new people get kitted up as soon as they get their kit - host an armor party

4) Make it cool to be a TK without beling elitist

The first two options really aren't feasable unless you are insanely wealthy and want to fund your private army or subsidize new TKs.  [sarcasm warning] If so, I'll send you my PP address.  ;)  [/sarcasm warning]

The third option is relatively easy - host armor parties and go out of your way to help anyone trying to finish a kit.

I'm having a very difficult time getting armor parties organized in my squad. Yes, we all have lives and families. Yes, we have (tons!) of local troops going on. But if we don't get new people in costume --any costume --quickly, we lose people. I have hosted an armor party out of an RV in a campground... I might not have a lot of tools, but if I can do it, then anyone with a garage or a back yard can. Bonus points if you have power tools.

One of the worst things is when someone gets a kit and can't get help from their local garrison / squad mates. So if you see anyone within an hour drive from you that has a kit and wants to get it built, help them. I hate to see it when we get new people who are interested, and they sign up on (local) forums, try to get help, they get platitudes (general "post up if you need help responses), but can't get real help from established members --and then we lose them.

Do what you can - loan an extra costume, or encourage them to handle or be a photographer, anything to get them to events and see what it is that we do. It's even better when you get them into a kit that has a full-face bucket so they can see what it is like, and how much the public responds.

Mainly, the best thing any of us can do is to just get people in a kit, any kit, and get them trooping. Help them get them approved. Welcome them into the "cool kid club." Be open and encouraging to new people. Worry about what kit they are wearing later (if at all.)

The fourth option is relatively easy if you want to see more TKs: encourage TK pride (without beling elitist)

Do something like the Jolly Roger Squadron's wings where people get patches or swag based on the number of troops they do in that particular kit. I know several people who went out of their way to wear a TIE pilot kit so they could "get their wings." From what I have seen, Blizzard Force (Operation Whiteout) is doing something similar to encourage people to wear TS kits.

The Mountain Garrison command staff recently purchased rocker patches for our garrison patch, to be given out based on the amount of troops people do:

----------

These are a great way to get people back out there and get out trooping.

Beyond that, any swag is good for encouraging Detachement pride. Patches, T-shirts, beret flashes, whatever. But I'd love to sport some "TK participation" rockers on my helmet bag. I'd also love to have a FISD T-shirt to go with my CTN shirts.  ;)

--------

I might just have to encourage the Rebel Legion Starfighter Command to do the same thing... my X-Wing pilot bag could use some rockers:

1012777_169801709867105_864909532_n.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really digging the trooper awards. Back when I started FISD it wasn't an issue getting people to troop in a TK, but these days it is more and more. In my garrison costumes seem to come and go in waves - everyone does TB's then everyone does clones, etc.

Still, to me nothing is more pleasing to the eye that a squad of shiney white TKs, so I believe the time really has come for us to create a trooping award as you suggest.

Of course, I need no excuse to get armored up - such a white armored slut am I :)

• Like 1

I agree. TK's representn'.

Eventually I'm gonna have to switch to TB as well, a TBelly for my beer belly :P

Hehe... NO!!! Just NO! ;-)

Yeah I would Loke the idea of awards when trooping many times :-) because we have to admit, the TK armor is not as comfy as a tie And not as easy to transport! I made my 22nd troop last weekend, all tk troops am damn proud of it ;-)

I agree...Seems like Comic_Con has less and less TK's every year. In 2005 it was almost all TK's and 6 Clones. in 2012 it was almost all Clones and 6 TK's and I was the ONLY Sandtrooper. :(

Hopefully this year well have a surge of Tks. EP!C style. :)

Even though I'm finishing up my tie pilot, Saturday I'm still doing TK for Comic con this year. But I'm also feeling more comfortable movig on to other costumes knowing we have had a huge number of Tks joining in the past few months as opposed when sometimes it was only Ladyinwhite and myself at events.

On 6/25/2013 at 10:26 PM, TK-4510 said:

NO KIDDING. Last year I was just there to help and should have brought my shiny. Still, we wouldn't have outdone the clones. They went critical. Well, like Ralf says, there will be an EP!C surge this year! I am oh so tempted to show up just for the photo balance.

For those who aren't familiar with the TK Pride that comes with a Fire Team, DO IT. Ask me how. Our fire team, the Endor Party Crashers, is on fire! The camaraderie is so inspiring and amazing how it draws people to troops they might otherwise choose not to attend. Or DV is also an EP!C TK, our Boba Fett is an EP!C TK, and bunch of the others pictured here are fire team members... they just chose to wear other costumes because we had a very solid TK presence :)

-----------

On 6/26/2013 at 12:58 AM, bjsavage7 said:

We're not there for those folks who have so little knowledge of Star Wars that they call TIE pilots Darth Vader & any clone Capt Rex. Those people should just go home, watch the movies, then come back and try again. :D  We are there for those folks who jump for joy when they see a Navy Trooper, or a Tusken, or a Biker Scout and congratulate us on how accurate they look and how happy we made their kids! Of course not to mention....the kids. They love everything! ...Well usually. heh. :)           

Definitely! Also what excites me is when it's the mom or dad who just has to have their photo with the TKs, and they hand their iPhone or camera to their 9-year-old... lol!

On 7/5/2013 at 12:33 AM, Daetrin said:

Of course, I need no excuse to get armored up - such a white armored slut am I :)

QFT! :P Kidding, I actually loved seeing you in black at CVI, like you were the officer in charge of all the shiny (and partly yellowed) TKs...which seems fitting, not sure why ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

We always have several tks. I'm usually the only td, but we always have some dress whites around!

One of the reasons I have so many costumes other than being mental, is that I can switch out to whatever is needed at a particular troop. Need a vader? No worries, have several tks already? Sandy it is. Need an extra tk of whatever movie? Got ya covered!

I agree that an event with little or no tks would be sad. Luckily we have an amazing armor expert in our garrison that goes out of his way to help people, attending armor parties ( we have one every few months) and just making sure its as easy a process as possible.