My ATA Armor Build (Please chime in...I am a noob!)

LePaul

I got my ATA Armor almost 2 years ago.  I keep meaning to get to it but with two aluminum R2-D2s keeping me busy, the "play" time runs short.

I've posted the usual un-boxing pictures a while back on my blog...   http://stormtrooperpaul.blogspot.com/

Fast forward to last weekend, where a few of my 501st friends were at our regional R2 Builder get together (New England R2 Builders).  They were gracious enough to help me sort thru my armor and figure out what needed to be trimmed and how tight.  Some of the vacuum lines and edges were pretty hard to make out.  And I know how to patch up aluminum, not ABS!

Over the past few months, when I could make it here, I read about the iCOMM device and was really impressed.  I purchased one and its in the stack-of-stuff.  If you don't have one,

Now I have lot's of questions I am hoping my new friends here can help out with!

SHIMS...how wide?  I understand the length of the pieces (arm, etc)...

The pieces are trimmed but should these have straight edges? 

Here's what I have so far...me and my bucket, which my 501st friend did for me.

296284_10151654171250169_244389495_n.jpg

Snipping and snipping and snipping

6672_10201403654156999_2054560958_n.jpg

969214_10152908944585193_977500730_n.jpg

...and back at home, everything is laid out...

1002064_10151657704430169_1432076538_n.j

969957_10151657768930169_1386052377_n.jp

(Please check my blog if the pics don't load up right....   Blog Link

Well, awesome start with the trimming........... keep going!! :D

The cover strip sizes are approximately, if I recall, 15mm for arms, and 20-25mm for shins & thighs. You look like you'll be proportioned fine, but if you need the spare room, do slightly larger strips in the back, and keep your front as close as possible to the above. It's a little harder with the arms, as there's not necessarily a front-back, so those just do proportional.

Now glue glue glue!!! :D e6000 is your friend!

LePaul the kit looks great hope all goes well and I envy your work cave!

Sadly, that lovely man cave in the first pictures is my friend's

The one at the end...with the "manly" pink floor is mine  LOL  I keep meaning to paint that over from the original home owner....but something else always comes up

Now my first questions are this...

Let's start with the forearms....

As they are, they fit my arms fine, adding a shim would just make them bigger.  Do you trim away material from the forearm pieces to accomodate a shim?

I mean, if there isn't a shim, I am stuck wondering which piece goes on top of the other

Or better yet, are there any instructions for this armor?  I lost my password to the ATA Owners Group and the "Reset Password" link failed.

So, before I guess, wing it and hope...I thought I would ask!

Now my first questions are this...

Let's start with the forearms....

As they are, they fit my arms fine, adding a shim would just make them bigger. Do you trim away material from the forearm pieces to accomodate a shim?

I mean, if there isn't a shim, I am stuck wondering which piece goes on top of the other

Or better yet, are there any instructions for this armor? I lost my password to the ATA Owners Group and the "Reset Password" link failed.

So, before I guess, wing it and hope...I thought I would ask!

There's an ATA owners group? Where's that at?

You trim away enough material to account for half the cover strip, from each side. The size of each cover strip was listed on one of the extra pieces of ABS I received with my ATA kit. Youcan do strips on the outside and inside of the pieces if you want a little extra support.

http://ata-owners.betaboard.net/login

I'll have to message Terrell about getting back in there.

I emailed him asking if he had any formal instructions on piecing this together beyond guessing  :)

Should the arms be cut/trimmed to come to straight cuts? 

Wow, I had no idea that existed, I guess I could try and get a log in from him, but I'm nearly finished.

Ok, I'm starting on the fore arms and ...well...completely stuck. 

Does the INSIDE curl under the OUTER piece?   It really appears that way, since when I line the edges up, they really aren't even close...

photo2.JPG

Going with that thought, I used the Painter's Tape and a few more clamps

photo.JPG

On the other arm, comparing the edges, this arm lines up a bit better on one side...

photo3.JPG

Help  :)

What's everyone's thoughts on Zap A Gap / Zip Kicker? (http://trooperbay.com/zap-a-gap-zip-kicker-combo-pack/)

Looks like a remarkably FAST way to get a lot of the armor halves attached.   Just wondering if there were any real down sides?

My friend who has an upholstery business helped me back several snap plates tonight.  Suffice to say his equipment, working with various leathers and so on made fast work of the plastic "For Sale" sign I had.  We cut up one inch squares and made about a dozen.

E6000 is normally used, yes it takes a while to dry but it is a very forgiving glue and can be removed by rubbing your thumb across it. Zap and super glues are an instant cure glue but can create some heat and also blemish abs, not as strong as E6000 either.

If I am counting correctly, you will need close to 40 snap plates, depending on how many you use in each connection of the various armor sections. E6000 was also helpful in that aspect when I had to relocate some snap plates for a better fit.

Okay, so as I thought....the slow road may be better.

The videos are quite good...I have a much better idea of how to trim those pieces down....seeing is quite helpful!

i'm glad it helped, I think the only thing in the video that is in question, is the placement of the ammo belt on the right thigh. Also, I'm not sure the way he trims his shoulder bells is correct for the ATA kit.

I wrote him asking if he had more videos on the way...despite the armor kit being different, seeing someone confidently zip, score, break and bond pieces together was the motivator I needed.

I was worried about pieces that just didn't look like they had any means to line up.

Then Terrell guided me on the diffrence between SHIM (make bigger) and COVER STRIPS, which now makes a LOT more sense to me

I have one of those Sony Bloggie HD cameras so I'm going to record along as I go.  Not only to document what I do wrong, but right?  :)

I have the holster, does that rivet into that belt (later in the build)?  I bought the white belt from TrooperBay and need to get some decals for the bucket. 

Well I cut up two 5/8 inch strips and moved ahead...I figured if the trim was a little long, that beat being short!

photo.JPG

Once I had one side done, I moved on to the next...

photo2.jpeg

...and I'm out of clamps...so, the other arm will have to wait!

• 3 weeks later...

Well gents (and ladies), I am really stumped on the forearms and haven't made it far beyond that.

I just can't sort this out...

I have trimmed the arm pieces from the where the molds end.  When I then look at the halves of the forearms together, I just can't figure out if they are supposed to look this bad?

See blog post:  http://stormtrooperpaul.blogspot.com/2013/07/no-instructions-and-still-stuck.html

photo.JPG

image2.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm going to check some of the other builds that are non ATA since there seems to be very very few detailed ATA build tutorials out there.