My First Stormtrooper Build! (help appreciated) - WIP

Hi Evan,

Yes that's the idea with the elastic and hooks for the shins. Not the most friendly to put on and off but the are screen accurate. Be sure to find a few examples in builds to help place them, as well as photo references of screen uses armor.

One question about the cap rivet you used. It kind of looks like a pop rivet. The cap rivet should have no hole in it and have a round head that is about 7mm (need to check that size, I'll edit my post when I'm sure)

A cap rivet has two round sides. It is also called a double cap rivet. Sorry if I was confusing

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in saying that these straps are glued to the insides of the shins (3 a side and with an equal distance between each) with the hooks hooking on to 3 drilled holes per side? And with the cover strips glued only to the outer side of the shins.

WP_20130607_001_zps47ff54eb.jpg

My references are from these links:

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/joker1231978/slideshow/Armour%20Details

http://s381.photobucket.com/user/gcl2g5/media/LFL%20Photos/ainsworthlowerleftlegrearseamdetail.jpg.html?sort=6&o=6

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/joker1231978/slideshow/RS%20Props%20Armor

For how RS Props does the holes, here you go.  Notice they are not equally spaced.  They basically put on at the top and bottom, and another just before the widening of the calves.

IMG_20130601_164503_zpsf2c7be05.jpg

If you need me to bust out the ruler for you, I can.

Sidenote:  It's quite nice seeing my pics helping someone :)

Edited by SmilesLikeJoker

Top hole: 1.5" inch from the top - 1/8" from the edge

Bottom hole: 1" from the bottom - 1/8" from the edge

Middle hole: 3 7/8" above the bottom hole - 1/8" from the edge

I tried to measure from center hole.  They're pretty small holes though lolol

The cover strip isn't exactly centered either.  If you are looking at the back of the calves as if someone was wearing it, the cover strip is 'slightly' shifted to the inside to help hide the fact that the backs are not glued.  I literally mean slightly...less than 1/8".  I don't have the best of measuring devices.  It's really a small shift, but noticeable to the eye when looking up and close.

Edited by SmilesLikeJoker

Hi Evan,Yes that's the idea with the elastic and hooks for the shins. Not the most friendly to put on and off but the are screen accurate. Be sure to find a few examples in builds to help place them, as well as photo references of screen uses armor.One question about the cap rivet you used. It kind of looks like a pop rivet. The cap rivet should have no hole in it and have a round head that is about 7mm (need to check that size, I'll edit my post when I'm sure)A cap rivet has two round sides. It is also called a double cap rivet. Sorry if I was confusing

I have seen an RS build (I have referenced it somewhere) using the rivets with the holes. I can always get some extra rivets from the store nearby but if it affects clearance I will change it

It looks like you have used the right rivet but you have put it the wrong way around. They used single caped rivets to hold the strap on the thigh and the cap goes on the outside. The part with the hole in, the stem, goes on the inside and not on the outside. I do not know what you used for reference but you should only use screen used armour to make sure you get it right first time ;)

Thanks for the advice Paul. I've been taking some screen shots from the movie and been trying to get some close up shots

I have swapped the sides (of course with new ones ) :)

I will paint them white with my humbrol soon.

WP_20130612_009_zps4fb0fdfa.jpg

WP_20130612_011_zpsafa72d53.jpg

Edited by evan_loh

The rivet usually goes in the corner too, about 10mm in from the top and side. This shouldn't be a problem for basic approval but if you want to go for EIB or Centurion I would suggest moving the rivet.

Are you talking about both the sides or just the side in the second picture. And if I were to move the rivets what would you suggest that I use to cover up the holes I have punched for the earlier rivets?

I will continue building this thread as my WIP. I don't think I can change the thread topic to add a WIP so if that is required let me know.

Currently I have trimmed the ears on my helmet to keep the curves closer to the tube. I have trimmed a little too much on the right ear curve and so it looks a little bad. I have tried trimming the round parts more but still try to leave the distinct bump of the Stormtrooper ear.

Left

WP_20130601_006_zpscd0073b2.jpg

Right

WP_20130601_005_zps7fb1d779.jpg

Is that a clear sealant/caulk on the ear gaps? 

Is that a clear sealant/caulk on the ear gaps? 

It's just a gap. I trimmed it a little too much. Would be nice if there was a way to hide it without trimming the circular part on top too much

It's just a gap. I trimmed it a little too much. Would be nice if there was a way to hide it without trimming the circular part on top too much

Just curious.  It has an appearance of sealant.  Gaps are normal and acceptable.  The helmets in the movies even had gaps.

I'm finding it difficult to understand how the strapping works.

7f2c33ba.jpg

This picture was taken from one of the FISD forums. I've been provided with some elastic bands to cut into separate pieces (at least I think I should cut them). I'm not sure what is done to the elastic back to join the two pieces together. My guess is that the elastic band is cut into strips of 2-3 inches and then either sewed or glued together? Or am I entirely wrong. I'm kind of stuck in this area. I have seen many references that show the placements of the screws and bands and good ones in fact but can't find one that shows how to "band them together"

The elastics are most commonly sewn together. That from what I understand is screen accurate. Rob from RS Propmasters told me they glue the elastics together to form loops when they do a build because that is how their original suit had them.

I'm not a pro about original strapping but i think you're right:

Here's a little diagram i made as it's easier for me :P

And I guess remembering that originally the elastics were glued together rather than sewn but i'm not sure about it. 

Edit: according to Echo sewing is more accurate, my bad !

Edit 2: deleted the diagram as it appears to be incorrect

Edited by The5thHorseman

Where did you get the cover strips for the forearms and biceps? I need some. Thanks in advance for your help. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The cover strips were provided by RS Prop Masters. But they were in large blank slabs which I had to cut them up into strips

I'm not a pro about original strapping but i think you're right:

Here's a little diagram i made as it's easier for me :P

wgg.png

And I guess remembering that originally the elastics were glued together rather than sewn but i'm not sure about it. 

Edit: according to Echo sewing is more accurate, my bad !

That is not how the original straps are sewn nor were they glued together. That is just a lazy way of making them. The original straps were made in a U shape and sewn across the top to make a loop.

• 2 weeks later...