AP helmet build

Hello Trooper world.

So I took my pictures for my approval, the ax fell and I have too much to do on my KFC FX bucket to even get my basic approval. I decided to get in contact with AP and got myself a new bucket! I have to say that Mark at Authentic Props is a class act guy. He help me a lot with advice and how to's. But, I will need help from the FISD crew too. I'm never sure of myself when I do something new loll, so I will be asking numerous questions here lolll. 

Thanks in advance, 

Eric

BsSA8DJ.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

And the questions starts loll

Should I trim more on the teeth and eyes? And, I want to create ANH Stunt lid, how much should I raise my brow? I was thinking about 1/2" to 3/4"?

Thanks, 

Eric
22Dudp5.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

1/2" more on the brow should look good enough. FYI, the mic tips that come with AP kits are good enough for basic 501st approval but not for EIB & Centurion here at FISD. Looks like he still ships them out with sink/faucet aerators.

It looks like you still have some trimming to do around the teeth. Before you trim the eyes, which also appear to need a bit of trimming, I recommend comparing to some screen shots first.

Enjoy that AP helmet!

1/2" more on the brow should look good enough. FYI, the mic tips that come with AP kits are good enough for basic 501st approval but not for EIB & Centurion here at FISD. Looks like he still ships them out with sink/faucet aerators.

Thanks for the tip on the brow!

I've already got in touch with Keith for some Mike Tips. They still come with the faucet aerators. But, I don't think going higher that basic for the moment. 

It looks like you still have some trimming to do around the teeth. Before you trim the eyes, which also appear to need a bit of trimming, I recommend comparing to some screen shots first.

Enjoy that AP helmet!

Thank you for the help and I'm already enjoying it!

all you need to do to get a high brow is trim the helmet for a low brow.

then when you're assembling the faceplate, you cut about 1/4" off right at the chin area, leaving the ear area the same width.

trim the cap n back fully, and drill out all holes on the exact mounting locations.  (leave the lower ear screw hole intact at this point)

then when mounting the faceplate at the cheek screws simply rotate the faceplate down, (the area where you cut the chin shorter will allow you

to fit your head inside.  after you have created the brow height by rotating the face down you can drill the holes in the faceplate for the new

ear screw locations.  start with the center screw on each ear and line up the face/cap n back and drill from the cap n back though the face.

use the cap n back screw holes as guides when the faceplate is mounted with your rotation.  then drill out the faceplate at the proper locations

using the cap n back rotation as a guide.

this makes the entry hole smaller, thus the small trim on the chin area.

the other way:

the only other way to create a low brow is to cut the cap n back.

this can create a longer brow trim, so don't cut the rubber till you're ready to fit everything.

all you need to do to get a high brow is trim the helmet for a low brow.

then when you're assembling the faceplate, you cut about 1/4" off right at the chin area, leaving the ear area the same width.

trim the cap n back fully, and drill out all holes on the exact mounting locations.  (leave the lower ear screw hole intact at this point)

then when mounting the faceplate at the cheek screws simply rotate the faceplate down, (the area where you cut the chin shorter will allow you

to fit your head inside.  after you have created the brow height by rotating the face down you can drill the holes in the faceplate for the new

ear screw locations.  start with the center screw on each ear and line up the face/cap n back and drill from the cap n back though the face.

use the cap n back screw holes as guides when the faceplate is mounted with your rotation.  then drill out the faceplate at the proper locations

using the cap n back rotation as a guide.

this makes the entry hole smaller, thus the small trim on the chin area.

the other way:

the only other way to create a low brow is to cut the cap n back.

this can create a longer brow trim, so don't cut the rubber till you're ready to fit everything.

Wow, thanks Vern. You answered my other question lol. I wanted to know what can I trim to make my head go inside easier. It's a tight squeeze. If I compare to my FX, I can fit easily in it, plus have a sandwich in there in case I get hungry.

Thanks again everybody for you help. 

So I'm having a hard time getting my teeth "square". I tried using a file, but, it does not make a nice finish. I tried using my X-Acto knife, but I have a big blade on it. Should I just get a hobby knife to trim them of I am doing something wrong?

Thanks

Eric

So I'm having a hard time getting my teeth "square". I tried using a file, but, it does not make a nice finish. I tried using my X-Acto knife, but I have a big blade on it. Should I just get a hobby knife to trim them of I am doing something wrong?

Thanks

Eric

Use a file to get nice square corners, then use some sandpaper to get the finish nice and smooth.  You might try a nail file (for fingernails)... just cut them length wise so they fit.

So I got the ear caps installed (my second set of ear caps might I say  :6: ). Started doing the paint and this morning, I notice that I really messed up my vocoder, picture to come soon. Question is; how can I remove my paint without damaging the ABS?

Thank you, 

Eric

There are a few ways to remove paint, some use a toothpick, some a knife blade and some wet and dry sandpaper but you will have to go in stages from course to fine then polish to get the shine back again. I use small hand files on the corners of my teeth worked well for me. Keep up the good work, you will be finished in not time :D

There are a few ways to remove paint, some use a toothpick, some a knife blade and some wet and dry sandpaper but you will have to go in stages from course to fine then polish to get the shine back again. I use small hand files on the corners of my teeth worked well for me. Keep up the good work, you will be finished in not time :D

Thank you for the help Glen. 

Do you mean using a toothpick to scrape off the paint?

Thanks

Eric

Edited by Tolo

Yes correct some use that method of a tooth pick, all you are really doing is trying not to scratch the abs, most of the time you will need a little bit of sanding. Good luck

Yes correct some use that method of a tooth pick, all you are really doing is trying not to scratch the abs, most of the time you will need a little bit of sanding. Good luck

Thanks Glenn, I will try it out!

Eric

Thanks for the help on removing the paint, I used 2000 grains wet/dry sandpaper and some turtle wax to shine it up lol.

So now I'm waiting for my S trim from trooperbay and my mike tips from Keith. But, I was wondering how much can I trim to fit my head in the bucket? When I will have the S trim on, I'm scared that I will not be able to fit my head inside. 

Eric

Edited by Tolo

Be sure to make the opening bigger to allow your head to fit easily. Keep in mind that you will need to put your head in sideways and then rotate it in place. If you make the opening nice and roomy, by the time you place the S-trim, it will fit just about perfect.

Besides, if you "mess up" and need to trim more away later, you will just need a new piece of S-trim. :-)

Be sure to make the opening bigger to allow your head to fit easily. Keep in mind that you will need to put your head in sideways and then rotate it in place. If you make the opening nice and roomy, by the time you place the S-trim, it will fit just about perfect.

Besides, if you "mess up" and need to trim more away later, you will just need a new piece of S-trim. :-)

Thanks for answer Pete.

For the moment, if I put my helmet sideways, my ears are rubbing on the edge of my bucket. And my big nose...well I don't need to say more loll. So if I take off 1/2" on each side, I should not mess up the buckets look?

Eric

• 1 month later...

I've decided to switch my stickers and paint my bucket instead. It will look much nicer. I've read that some people are using WD-40 to remove the paint. I did not try it yet. I even thought of using lighter fluid, but, I'm scared of damaging my bucket. 

Is there a better way than WD-40 or is the the way to go?

Thanks, 

Eric

White spirit is what you're looking for if you will use the Humbrol.

You can remove paint bleeds by just scratching them with a toothpick for example, and then wipe them out with a soft tissu with White Spirit on it without damaging the bucket at all.

I guess you can also use therebentine If you have some

White spirit is what you're looking for if you will use the Humbrol.

You can remove paint bleeds by just scratching them with a toothpick for example, and then wipe them out with a soft tissu with White Spirit on it without damaging the bucket at all.

I guess you can also use therebentine If you have some

I was looking for removing the stickers off my bucket lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk