First TK Build - ANH Hero

So it begins!

My box arrived today!  Both excited and nervous.  This project is the realization of a pretty much life long dream.  And for a 42 year old that is waiting a long time!  But my wonderful wife has known this is something I have talked about and wanted to do for many many years, and now the time has come!

I have a great mentor here locally that has been giving me some helpful suggestions and I know I can do this build.  But entering into the unknown is always a big first step.  I hope any mistakes I make can be repaired.

I look forward to the day of putting on the full suit and submitting my request to officially join the 501st and the Star Garrison!

tkarmor_box.jpg

Edited by McDNet

Congrats, yes I remember being excited then the panic set in lol. Just take your time, try small pieces first, by the end ot the build you will be thinking what was all the worry about. There are excelent builds to follow and plenty of people to help. Good luck on the build, now start cutting :D

I still remember the day the delivery showed up on my door step. Joy and panic. I was right there with you. You will be done before you know it Then you will be someone elses mentor. :smiley-sw013:

First is the picture of my parts laid out and looking good!!

kit_laid_out.jpg

And then I  :blink: MADE MY FIRST CUT!! :blink:

The picture shows the Shoulder bells I started with.  I decided to get the scissors at Loews today when I was looking for other tools for my build.  I don't feel comfortable with the score and snap approach just yet.  I did feel I had more control with the big scissors though.  So we are off to a good start.

first_cuts.jpg

:duim:

Edited by McDNet

Score and Snap is used for straight verticle or horizontal cuts. You'll need a ruler for that, and take several safety precautions. Maybe wear leather gloves. Anything with curves, use the scissors or dremel.

I used a dremmel for all my trimming, if you take care it can save some time :D. Congrats on the first cut, now it's all down hill from now :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

Since you're going Hero make sure your ear pieces have 3 bumps instead of 4. Three isn't required for base 501st, but it is for EIB and Cent. Double check; if you need new ears see if Tray can exchange them. I'm not sure what exactly comes in his kit.

Sorry guys. Our kit comes as a Stunt kit. We don't have 3 bump ears although I have been trying to get them made so we can offer them for this very reason.

I'd still like to see proof that Heroes only had the 3 bumps. I've always been suspicious of this rule. I'm sure I have seen photos of Han and Luke wearing helmets with 4 bumps but ALL of my photos I had were lost in my computer crash.

For the record I trim out the entire kit curves and all using the score and snap method. It works just as well or better than scissors. Once all the trimming is done I use table belt sander to finish the edges. Then a fine grit sandpaper to finalize the edges.

Scoring takes a steady hand no matter what parts you are trimming.

Edited by Tray

Thanks for the post Tray.   The steady hand of scoring worries me as this is my first attempt at this and I don't want to ruin it.  And not having a belt sander also limits my abilities.  The good ol' dremmel will have to do the job.

I did post in the the Hero upgrade kit in the commissary to see if they are available.

But I was leaving the helmet as my last item to work on, so I have some time to sort it out.  I have plenty of other work to keep me busy!!  Now if I could just get a free evening to trim so things!!

There are several ways to accomplish the same goal. Find one that works for you. The fun of building!

You can also contact ATA or another maker and ask if they offer a set of hero ears.

Send me an email when you're available/off work - if my schedule allows, I'll try to stop by your place.

I'd still like to see proof that Heroes only had the 3 bumps. I've always been suspicious of this rule. I'm sure I have seen photos of Han and Luke wearing helmets with 4 bumps but ALL of my photos I had were lost in my computer crash.

from the gallery

gallery_12157_38_60992.jpg

Ok more trimming tonight.  Decided to try a handle that I bought for my dremel.  Seen in this photo.

dremel_handle.jpg

I do think it helped me control the dremel quite a bit.  It was like using a brush.  I was able to sand down right to the line I had drawn.  Then take some sandpaper and clean up the edges.

Here is the pic of what I worked on tonight.  The smallest pieces.  Handguards, the thermal detonator, and I cleaned up the shoulder bells.  The hand guards seem soooo huge, I can tell there is going to have to be some serious trimming of those to make them look right.

first_dremel_cuts.jpg

And I think I am going to have to convince the wife I need a belt sander.  I can see how much that machine would help me.

Edited by McDNet

• 2 weeks later...

Will someone PLEASE come take care of these kids and work at my job so I can WORK ON MY ARMOR!!!!!!! :angry:

So said everyone who has ever built a TK ;)

Don't rush. When it is "over" you'll wish you had more plastic to trim and glue.

-Eric

• 4 months later...

So I admit... I am the WORST at taking pictures of this process.  Pretty much a total failure.  Since I have about 5 pictures of my whole build, but I am done and submitted my 501st application and pictures last night.

But here are a few pictures of my helmet.  

Front, and the inside.

full_Helmet.jpg

This is the inside.  I totally STOLE the ideas from THIS thread.

Helmet_Inside_1.jpg

And a full view of the inside.  You can see the battery pack of Evilboy's fan kit in this one.

Helmet_Inside_2.jpg

The blue thing in there is the liner out of a motorcycle helmet.  I have it velcro'ed in so I can take it out and clean it when needed.

I will post some full armor pictures later.

What maker of armor is this???? Nice looking helmet. You will need to get hold of some "S" trim if you are shooting for higher than EIB. AAAAAAAANNNNNND................boy those tube stripes look dark. Maybe it's just the flash or poor lighting. Isn't the title of the thread ANH HERO??? You have 4 teeth cut out.

This is a nice looking helmet, but this is a nice STUNT helmet right now. Except from the low brown (and maybe the lenses, i can't figured out if they're bubbled or flat), you have Stunt details here. You've hollowed out eight teeth instead of six and you've painted too much of the frown. Also the end teeth need to be recess with heat or filled with ABS paste for example.

In the end, ears should have three bumps instead of four and be affixed with only 2 screws and not 3, even if we cannot tell if you've done it with your pic.

if you need some References pics, have a look here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/37-anh-hero-helmet-celebration-4/

Yea I wish I could change the title.  I started as a hero which is what I wanted to do, but I found out my builder only provides a stunt suit.  So I had to change to a stunt build.  I may be able to change things later if someone makes some bubble eyes and 3 dot ear kits.

And gazmosis... the kit is T/MC.  And the tube strips are stickers, not painted, provided in my kit.  Maybe just the light, there is a lap RIGHT above the helmet.

Edited by McDNet