Recently obtained armor with an interesting history...

kennyo21361

Like another fellow who just posted here, I recently obtained armor from eBay; my first kit of armor.  I know that is a  big "NO NO" and I may catch a lot of flak for it.  Spare me the lectures, please.  For others reading, I in no way endorse eBay as a source for armor.  This is a learning process for me.

I had perused eBay for armor here and there over the past several years and had some unpleasant message exchanges with the likes of "trekfreek" and "makerofthings!" and knew they were shady or their product was trash.  Then I found this set that I bought - not perfect, but in the midst of a young-professional life crisis, I just said "screw it," made a bid, and won.

Anyhow, I just took lots of pictures of the armor (arrived today) and wanted to share them and hopefully get whatever advice I could on assembly, what needs to be changed, whether I should just return it, melt it down, etc.  This is FX armor, and a peculiar set at that. (I am attaching a link to a web album of the pictures.)

Then I found these posts:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22826-i-am-not-even-sure-what-to-think-of-this/?hl=+tk#820851110=

and

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22671-in-memoriam-mandy-zehner-tk-51110/

So, seeing that this is where the armor came from at some point, and that Andrew intended, after the fact, to sell this armor at a reasonable price to share his wife's joy with others who wanted to get into trooping, I am going to go for it and build it.  I've been consulting the guides on the 501st website for the TK armor.

These are the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100995806495504666154/FXMArmorKit

ANY feedback, suggestions, etc., you can give would be greatly appreciated.  I have captioned most of the photos, too.

I went with the FX armor made of ABS because of price and size - I have a larger head and I know the FX helmet runs large.  My ultimate motive for getting armor is to connect with the 501st and get involved in all their charity work.  I love fundraising, volunteer work, etc., and I know what joy a cool costume can bring some people.

I'm a little worn out - I hope this post makes sense and isn't too long-winded.

Edited by kennyo21361

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to the FISD.

The best place for you to start with, would be to read the base CRL for a TK Stormtrooper.

Decide if your creating a Stormtrooper from either of the original trilogy films ANH, ESB or ROTJ and follow that.

Good luck trooper.

Hey Kenny,  I'm Andrew.  I no longer sell those kits on ebay.. My wife and I purchased a lot of them and.. well you know the story... but i ran out as i just wanted to unload what we had purchased.. At one point i heard that people were getting the armor and it had some one elses name on it.. so i said.. hey thats not cool and the guy i purchased them from told his shipping company.  Well anyway.. there were a BUNCH of these armor kits... and I had purchased most but not all of them... and because they were in a warehouse and get shipped out.. the guy put the sticker on all of them i believe.  well I only have one box left and it's in my basement.  So PLEASE NOTE:  if you purchase any armor that has my name on it.. it is NOT me selling it... please let me know if it does have my name on it...  but if it does...it is going to be from the same lotthe same kits that i purchased.

so the quality should still be good.  but if anyone has questions.. please ask.. and yes.. always be leary of ebay....

I am not a recaster.. nor do i support recasters.... so if anyone gets armor with my name.. please notify me...  If the box just says FX-M  than that is just the sticker on the boxes...

Edited by QuickQuests

Hi Andrew,

Nice to speak with you and thanks for reaching out.  I'm sorry this has caused so much confusion -  I've spoken a whole lot with your garrison mate as you know. After doing all the research the other day, I was excited to think I might have a set of your armor that your wife wished to share with the world, but I guess I just have one of these other sets from the same warehouse.  I don't see your name anywhere on the kit or with the packed materials, but I am pretty sure it is all the same quality stuff from the same lot.  I hope this should be a good first set of armor for me, and regardless of where it came from, I've found a lot of meaning and inspiration in your story and the enthusiasm your wife had to share this community with everyone, and its with that meaning in mind that I'll construct this kit.

-Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Ken. I'm happy to say that you AND I got lucky. I too got my FX armor on eBay.

A lot of people talk trash about FX armot but I live mine and it took very little modification to be accepted into the 501st. Keep trooping, buddy!

• 2 weeks later...

I loved my F/X armor too. But there are better kits that just look nicer. ATA is one of them. I sold my fx to a buddy in the garrison doing a magma trooper. I never thought I would upgrade but I did. It is a harder build but after seeing other armors out there, it is worth it.

Edited by DarthBrute

I also suggest you find a local armor party where you can get some hands-on advice. Although you are technically in Old Line Garrison's territory (D.C. & Maryland), there is nothing to say that you cannot also reach out to local members of Garrison Tyranus (VA).

We have armor parties here in Northern VA averaging once a month - in fact, our next armor party is on 23 Jun at a member's house in Annandale.

• 8 months later...

My $.02...you can make FX armor look really good for $50 or so and an afternoon of work. There are tons of tutorials on how to pimp the armor out to make it look good, and you can 100% go EI with it (I should know, I wrote the article! :) ).

The helmet is where you'll get gobsmacked. You will stand out easily and will just look out of place. I replaced mine (when I had FX armor) with an AP helmet and was selected to march in the Rose Parade in 2007. And, it still looked good! You can use the FX helmet as a display piece or sell it, but you should know up front that it's on the way out.

The armor...again with a little pimping can easily go EI and beyond, and you'll probably get years and years of wear out of it, so no worries there.