Full Armor Build How-To ?

So my armor is scheduled to arrive Tuesday and as I'm looking through threads preparing myself I find myself wondering why there isn't a master step-by-step on building armor. There is just so much searching to do to find about trimming to strapping to everything. I know each armor from different sellers is a little different but it all generally is to end up looking exactly the same (say if your doing a general TK stunt). So why can't there maybe be a YouTube video of making a full armor? Show each step starting with say the forearms and trimming and glueing and everything to complete them. Then another video working on another part. And yes there are multiple ways to do each part of building but just show one way for those of us that are kinda clueless and we can make changes as we're going if need be, but at least it's a direction to start with.

And maybe it's cause I don't have armor in-hand but looking at pictures can be really confusing and video seems much better.

So I think I'm just really nervous/anxious to receive my armor and start on it, but just wondering.

Thanks.

-Dan

Welcome Dan, there are lots of threads here to help you with your build. Also there are videos on youtube , but always feel free to ask any question you have with your build because we are here to help a brother or sister. 

Hi, Dan! You are in an excellent position to document every detail of your build for future troopers. Of course, being new to it, it's easier said than done!

When I can afford a new suit, I plan to do just that... video tutorials from the ground up. But that won't be for at least a year, unless a trooper joins up near me and we can document his/her process.

People's build threads are the closest thing we have to all-in-one tutorials. Most everyone documents their questions, the answers, photos, the anxieties, and how they solved little problems.

Otherwise, the tips and tutorials have great photo references. And your garrison mates and local attaché are also great folks for hands-on help.

In the beginning, I had a few questions and troubles that were not well-documented or photographed, but I just did the research, asked questions here, and hoped for the best. It worked out great. Problem solving is one of the highlights of the crafting hobby.

You'll build up confidence as you go and need less and less help along the way. 

You really need to have the suit in front of you and have examined it from top to bottom to really get the handle on the build threads, what they are talking about and visualize it on your unbuilt armor. Trust me, once you get your kit, it will all come into place.

Building the armor is very self explanatory and any small questions that come up are quickly handled by the great people here on the FISD, or by the existing WIP threads. There are some good ones, some better ones and then there are the ones that go into every minor detail! Just do a search in the work in progress section and look for one with a lot of pages on it, these are usually the best ones and there is a lot of detail.

BTW, if you have a really specific question, such as what size rivet goes where that wouldnt be explained in a general tutorial, you can look in the tutorial section here or simply use the search function to find that... But I agree, it would be very awesome if someone had a detailed guide from opening the box to centurion building, tbh with so many 501st members I'm surprised this hasn't been done at least once.

My armor kit arrives tomorrow.  I am very excited, but also very nervous.  I want it to be perfect, but have been reading as much as possible.  That first Trooperbay video was helpful to know what the small parts I need to pick up are.  I will be following that list for sure.

You only need about half the things he shows in his videos, if even that much. He's using the videos to push the wares he sells on trooperbay.

On the other hand, I guess it helps some people that have problems grasping how to do something by just looking at pictures and reading text.

Because you get no second chances with super glue. That's fine with clones that you can sand over and it will be hidden by paint. Not really an option with glossy stormtroopers.

Quick question: Is it acceptable to use velcro on one side of the forearms if you need to, so you can get your hands through? Basically, a clamshell design, with the outside glued, and the inside with velcro? I'm not sure if mine will need it, just wondering if this is done.

I'm curious on this comment:

On 5/6/2013 at 5:12 PM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

The trooperbay video series has only one mistake.

the rivet mounting location for the power cell thigh pack.

I did a couple of screen caps from his video and placed them against a tutorial pic from FISD along with some of the screen caps from ANH. It looks to me like the center box should line up with the finishing strip. Is this correct?

-------

Am I missing anything, or misunderstanding what the error is in the video?

Thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

the video has the mounting location for the split rivet in the wrong spot

it's too high up on the inside.

the box alignment should follow the screen used format.

using CA glue on armor is fine if you work really clean!

A thread I checked a lot, especially for the pics, is this one here by TM building a TM hero suit: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19340-tms-anh-hero-buildtm/

You can get all the pieces and positions from these pics, what you won't get from this thread is up to you to research. Luckily, you're already at the best place to do this research (I'm talking about the FISD)

And one thing I'd like to add to the discussion Superglue vs E6000: What I think is a huge advantage is that E6000 never gets rock-solid. It sticks to the surface like hell, that's true, but even after months of curing you can still pinch it with your fingernail. For constantly moving plastic parts, wether you're walking around or just breathing, it helps distributing the tension and might prevent parts from cracking.