My NE Build Thread

Nice paintjob. Looks like you've already achieved a "weathered" effect in some areas. Was that on purpose and if so, any technique you'd care to share?

Thanks.  Just some really simple dry brushing.  Painted the whole thing flat black.  Then took some Testors silver paint, get a tiny bit of paint on the brush and then wipe most of it off on a paper towel.  Then gently brush on on the edges of the gun.  Just make sure you have almost no paint left on the brush.  It's pretty easy.  Just give it a shot. 

Sorry to ask this question (I am a newbie) but who is NE?? I am in the process of researching armor vendors and having come across them yet.  What made them stand out from the rest of other dealers (price / waiting list / etc)?  And would you recommend them after the ordeal with your bucket ears?  Thanks!

The NE kits are made by a couple of people.  Look at this thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

They are listed as "Armor Master".  It doesn't mention the NE kit there as it's a new kit they make now.  But that's who to reach out to about getting one if you're interested. 

To answer your other questions. I went with the NE kit because the turn around time was only a couple of weeks when I ordered. Other makers quoted me like 6 or 7 months. The problem with the ears isn't all that bad. And they are working on new ears to resolve it.

No regrets at all. I think the kit is beautiful. The helmet is great for me too because I have a large head and it fits me fine.

I would resize the biceps a bit smaller so they fit your arms better.  The shoulder bell connection to the back and chest connection can be moved forward and that would make the bells sit better. Most people use snap plates of some sort and elastic to hold the torso amor together. The pic's look like the amor is not held together very well, if you strap everything together that would solve the chest sitting to high and the butt plate and back plate overlapping the kidney piece. This would improve the overall look of the armor for your submission photo's. :)

Edited by SCTrooper

Refereeing to your first full kit test on the 9th June.

Your thighs need to come up.

At least 2 inches to close the gap near your cod.

This will also give you vital space to walk with.

Your biceps are too big, they need tapering in at the bottom around the elbow area.

This armour needs to form fit you.

Then you need to strap it for comfort and fit.

Hopefully you can get them shoulder bells under control.

• 1 year later...

After a year break, I've decided to pick up this build again and finish it off.

I got pretty discouraged by some negativity I experienced here. But after some prodding from some 501st members I know personally I'm going to ignore the trolls and finish this build and get it approved.

Today I did some trimming on my biceps and the glue is drying now. Then I need to work on the strapping of my thigh armor and see if I can do something about my shoulder bells.

I'm also currently working on a Darth Vader ESB build. Any SLD members here?

• Like 1

Good on you mate, get stuck in, I believe that most on here are there to help, I too will be starting a build shortly and will rely heavily on feedback both positive and negative to achieve the best result I possibly can.

How far in did you get the first time?

Good on you mate, get stuck in, I believe that most on here are there to help, I too will be starting a build shortly and will rely heavily on feedback both positive and negative to achieve the best result I possibly can.

How far in did you get the first time?

Yeah, I'm just going to ignore the trolls. :)

I got pretty far. It's more or less complete at this point. Made some more cuts on some pieces. The glue is drying on them now. And them it needs some work on the strapping so that it sits right. Then it's photo time for submission. Should go pretty quick I hope.

Alright Jeffrey! Your build was certainly one I followed for helping me out with my NE build! I'm happy to see you've picked it back up and looking forward to your submission photos!

Ah well I'm glad the thread helped.

Retrimmed my biceps tonight. And put the straps on the thighs. But it is still just not sitting right. I think I need to see if I can get a guy a know who has a TK to come over and help me sort it out. Once I start to strap stuff on my movement is too limited to work with it so it all hangs right.

Yep, I had to take apart my biceps, re-size, cut, and re-glue them.  I also removed the return edge on the inner part of my thighs and trimmed them down at the inner tops so they would stop catching on my cod and be able to pull them up to close the gap between the cod and the thighs.

What are you using for a strapping system on the thighs?

Yep, I had to take apart my biceps, re-size, cut, and re-glue them. I also removed the return edge on the inner part of my thighs and trimmed them down at the inner tops so they would stop catching on my cod and be able to pull them up to close the gap between the cod and the thighs.

What are you using for a strapping system on the thighs?

Yeah I was thinking I need to trim off the return edge on my thighs too. Even if I pull them up as high as I can, they barely reach the height they need to be at.

I'm using elastic straps attached to the thighs and the connected to the cod/ab section. I think if I trim off the return edge the thighs will fit better and be more comfortable to wear.

I might. So I was looking at your NE build. Looks like you connected the back plate to the cod/ab plate almost flush. It looks good. I was thinking of trying that and see if it helps mine. I'm having a hard time keeping the back and butt plates in check.

Yep, definitely.  I wouldn't modify the tops of your thighs until you get the top torso completely fitted.

I found the best way for me to get the over-all fit was to first attach the ab to the kidney, get the fit around the waist on both sides, then get the kidney flush to the back plate.  Once you're able to wear those pieces, you know how the ab / kidney are supposed to fit on you, which also puts the back plate in the right spot.  Then you can put the chest plate up to your ab and see where you want the bottom of the chest to line up with the ab, and that shows you how much of a gap you're going to have between the chest and back plates at the shoulder area.  That tells you how long you need to have the elastic that connects your back and chest plate.  You can fit the butt plate flush with the bottom of the kidney at any time before or after this is done.

Once all of this is done, then get the thighs on with the top half.  Now you'll know exactly where the thighs are in relation to the cod and the butt plate, and can better determine how to cut the thighs, if you need to at all.

Also, look at my EIB application to see how I did the internal strapping:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28156-tk-42430-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-ne402/

Edited by maxsteele

• 2 months later...