Kidney Split Rivets for Centurion - Where Should I Place Them

Hi All!

I'm building a T/MC kit for 501st approval.  During the build, I'm also following EIB and Centurion requirements for future approval.  The build is 99% complete and I intend to take 501st approval pictures this weekend.

I have a question about where to place split rivets on the kidney plate.  The pictures I've review in Centurion build threads are clear, but the placement in those pics might not look best for me.  I'm short and fat - 5'6" and 220 lbs.  I built shims into my kidney plates to cover the gaps.  So my question is should I place the split rivets on the actual ab and kidney plates or somewhere on the shims. 

Here's pictures of the kidney plate with shims.  The shims are 5.5" long and glued to the kidney plate (you can see the seam in the pictures) and attach to the ab plate via velcro.

Right Ab:

---------

Left Ab:

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I remember reading a thread where someone asked this. The general consensus I recollect was it would be better to have them on the shims.

I'll see if I can find the original thread.

Edit: As answered below..

Edited by Echo

You should emulate the look of the original armour regardless of if you are using shims or not. The rivets sit about 1 cm from the split between ab and kidney. Follow this regardless of shins or not because else it will only look strange.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I was the one who asked that question last week. Since your shim is an extension of your kidney plate, your rivet should be on your shim and not the kidney plate. 

Eric

Thanks for the quick responses.  Two responses are contradictory.  Which should be followed?  I'm not sure the hierarchy of opinions in FISD.

My initial thoughts prior to posting was to place the split rivets on the ab and kidney plates, and not the shims.

Thanks again!

Keith

If you are interested in resembling screen accuracy, then the rivets should be placed 1cm from the seam between the ab and the kidney on the shim you added.

Just look at it as when you add the shim, it is an extension of your plate.

So since you added the shim to your kidney, 3 of the rivets would be on the shim. And 3 other rivets would be on the ab plate. All of them 1cm from their respective position to the seam between the ab and the kidney.

Edited by Echo

If you are interested in resembling screen accuracy, then the rivets should be placed 1cm from the seam between the ab and the kidney on the shim you added. Just look at it as when you add the shim, it is an extension of your plate. So since you added the shim to your kidney, 3 of the rivets would be on the shim. And 3 other rivets would be on the ab plate. All of them 1cm from their respective position to the seam between the ab and the kidney.

+1 The rivets should be on the shim and the ab plate on either side of the actual seam.

-Eric

Hey there Keith!

My rivits measurements are as follows, one inch in from the edge of the ab plate, measuring from the bottom 2 inches up, split rivit, 2 and a half inches, split rivit, nother 2 and a half inch, split rivit.  That left me with about one inch to spare.  This is according to ATA armor.

Here's a pic of the ab/kidney rivets on the shim and ab.  How does the split rivet placement look?

I know the butt plate needs to be tightened and that the belt needs to be straightened and lowered a bit in the back!

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021