Did you know that FX is a recaster!

ABS80

GF made and sculpted the FX style armor before getting into movie accurate ANH style armor, so those photos are irrelevent. 

Mark

I agree, just wanted to show to compare as we are talking about it.

Also too, D had the thighs resculpted at some point.   I say this as I had one of the older FX suits and the thighs were very different than later models.

I have completed my NE armor, and it's WAY bigger all around than an RS kit. Are they close? Yes. but so is every other screen-style white amor kit. Isn't that the point?

There is no way in Hell a 6'2" 230+ lb guy could fit into an RS *AND STILL TRIM A CRAPLOAD OFF OF IT*. That's right, zero shims anywhere.

Well not to really say one way or the other on the NE because I do not know, but I am 6 foot 1 and 230 pounds.

I had to trim Alot off of the untrimmed RS legs and arms, forearms and shins to fit my legs and arms.  I did have to add 2.5 inch shims to close the ab and kidney gap.

an Untrimmed RS suit comes with a ton of extra plastic on the front and back of the limbs to allow for a custom fit.  They have  a deep vac machine and when thye made the forms they made the forms a little taller on the limbs to allow for a custom fit.

I can't remember how much exactly I removed on the shins/forearms, but I know I removed quite a few inches from the biceps and thighs, and I do not have tiny arms and legs..

My biceps are 14.5 inches

My thighs are 26.5 at the top and 18 inches at the bottom.  

I know I had to cut a heck of a lot off of both.

Here is a pic of Wayne's RS thigh to get an idea of just how much is left in the back:

T5LphEg.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

There is no way in Hell a 6'2" 230+ lb guy could fit into an RS *AND STILL TRIM A CRAPLOAD OFF OF IT*. That's right, zero shims anywhere.

But this isn't an RS, it's a recast of it. That means NE used an RS to cast most of their parts and modified whatever they thought needed changing to make the parts bigger. I have seen untrimmed RS kits and they have LOTS of excess plastic on the parts so it wouldn't take much work to blend that in so everything looks bigger. It won't make any difference what anyone says about the origins of the NE suit because those who know can already identify it's a recast. Everyone else will not care as long as they get cheap armour. That is the way it has been for a long time now and it's people like this who are ruining the hobby in my opinion.

But this isn't an RS, it's a recast of it. That means NE used an RS to cast most of their parts and modified whatever they thought needed changing to make the parts bigger. I have seen untrimmed RS kits and they have LOTS of excess plastic on the parts so it wouldn't take much work to blend that in so everything looks bigger. It won't make any difference what anyone says about the origins of the NE suit because those who know can already identify it's a recast. Everyone else will not care as long as they get cheap armour. That is the way it has been for a long time now and it's people like this who are ruining the hobby in my opinion.

So why are they accepting the NE suit for EIB or Centurion if they are recast? So I could just get an armor from E-Bay and apply for EIB or Centurion? ( Don't worry, I will not do it lol)

Edited by Tolo

So why are they accepting the NE suit for EIB or Centurion if they are recast? So I could just get an armor from E-Bay and apply for EIB or Centurion? ( Don't worry, I will not do it lol)

Simply put - because it's how you put your suit together that matters rather than the origins.

I am not happy about recasting. Even more so when reputable vendors do it. I feel very sorry for RS in this case.

The main reason why we discourage people here from buying on ebay is because of the lack of quality. You will end up with crap compared to the alternatives.

NE sort of gets away with their recasting because it puts quality kits into the hands of the masses, and hopefully that pushes out some of the FX kits. But am I happy about their ways of doing so? Absolutely not.

and hopefully that pushes out some of the FX kits. But am I happy about their ways of doing so? Absolutely not.

If I could afford it, mine would be out lol. 

• 1 year later...

Don't mind the FX armor so much, but that helmet is godaweful.

Makes me cringe when I see troop photos of Good lids then BAM there is an FX lid photobombing in the background.

I know there are some people that simply wont give up the ol FX bucket, but man that thing looks worse all the time.

Edit:

I can see why this would be of interest, as we should all care where the hobby started and how it evolved.

Lol...FX lid photobombing in the background.....so very true

• 2 weeks later...

" can see why this would be of interest, as we should all care where the hobby started and how it evolved."

QFT. Without understanding how things evolved, people can make pretty ignorant statements about the present.

The topic title is a bit misleading though. It would be more fair to call it "the main maker of FX armor is...", as in the past while there is one primary person putting out FX kits, there have been numerous smaller players who recast FX and used to sell it on Ebay. However, I don't track ebay enough to see if any of them are even in business anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

I think mark should be given credit to have spoken up. no matter how the water boils... he filled the kettle.

I stand behind mark's comments, as he should know... he was there before most of the participants of this thread.

• 6 years later...
On 4/29/2013 at 1:03 PM, troopermaster said:

Oh the irony! ;)