Hero ATA Helmet Conversion

gmrhodes13

Well I have had a brown box sitting around for a while, been busy with other projects and costumes, now it's about time to start on my hero bucket which will be the last of my hero conversion. This is an ATA helmet which I have decided to modify to a hero 3 teeth per side version, a TM is being saved for as we speak :D

I started by using my hobby heat iron to apply heat on the inside of the lid on the teeth that needed to be removed, gently moving the iron around while keeping a flat piece of triangle of plastic held tight on the other side, took a bit of time as I didn't want the teeth to completely melt through. This worked well but left a very small ridge around what had been pushed through so I spent some time with 240 grit sandpaper to remove the ridges, then went to 600 grit and on to 1200 grit. Once the sanding was finished I buffed with some cutting compound and it came up a treat.

Sorry no photos of the teeth at this stage as I go a bit ahead of myself and went right on to sanding the inside, drying off, masking up then a couple of coats of satin black.

73Xb3qJ.jpg

Wow. IƂĀ“m impressed.

Maybe I need to order another ATA helmet.....

Ā 

Do you want to order john danterƂĀ“s hero conversion kit or what ears and bubble lenses do you want to use?

Thanks everyone

Ā 

ATA provide hero ears you just have to ask for them when ordering. John was not doing any bubble lenses when I enquired,Ā I just asked others who where making hero lids where they got their's from andĀ managed to get some from a guy called Steve, he was very helpful. I also got aĀ pair of lenses for another member in my garrison from Paul "troopermaster".Ā 

• 1 month later...

Not as yet I have had so many side projects on the go, Jawa's mainly, imperial binders and code cylinders, so my hero lid had to go to the back of the line LOL. Hope to get back on to this soon :D

• 4 weeks later...

I wish you good luck, mine is still on hold doing a tusken workshop for 12 and have orders for 5 Merr- Sonn blasters over at IOC so going to be busy for a little longer lol. I have to stop saying yes to helping people, nah you no I can't :)

• 2 months later...

Finally been able to get on top of all the projects, waiting on new things to arrive and for paint to dry, time to get back on to my Hero Bucket :D

Trimming out the teeth and eyes.

w2oPVUj.jpg

Trimmed a bit more to allow the bubble lenses to fit nicely.
p7sqYXf.jpg

Got two sets of bubbles early on, one set was for a friends build but he decided not to do a hero so I ended up with two sets. I decide to use this set from Paul (troopermaster) as they are a really nice green, the others where quite dark.

Ā 

Got the cap and sides trimmed, magnets I find are the greatest help with the fitment, always seems the lids wants to pull down on one side, this is solved once the rivets are fitted.

Ā 

Um3xKmo.jpg

Ā 

And from the side

Ā 

xWriEdc.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Chris, I think that's why my squad gave me the nickname Q (quartermaster) oh ok it may be because of all my blaster builds too lol. Seriously as I couldn't make an abs paste I came up with the heat and push method, I did practice on some scrap abs first, using a heat iron or heat gun can be a great help but you have to be careful as there is a fine line between manipulate and melt ;)

I have already made a new belt with grappling hook, box and comlink, I also have another holster for this belt, just gives me the option to swap my armor from Stun to Hero when ever I want. But I must admit after looking at this Hero lid I may be trooping more as a Hero ;)

Ā 

yUeQp3e.jpg

Ā 

Build is here