External noise amplification for helmet

Has anybody actually installed an external noise amplification system? If so, was it worth the money/time/effort?

Additionally, what kind of interior padding is everyone had success with?

I've soon the post/ video by mynock, but was curious if anyone has done anything Similiar. I was concerned about installing such think padding for a troop, and how the padding would effect the fans.

In regards to the external noise amplifier, I was considering tackling this. A pair of ear protection used for shooting is less than the price of buying a sound board, microphones, battery backs, switches, and headphones, and it already comes together. Some modification and I think it could work.

Huh? I'm not getting how ear protection for shooting would work for noise amplification. Plus, I researched how much the components would be for such a system last night when I saw the schematic for Mynock's setup, and it's pretty darn cheap. To get 2 mics, 2 speakers, 2 mono amp boards, a switch, the battery, and a 10K potentiometer, it's like $20, $25. Plus, it's a pretty straightforward circuit. If you have a good soldering iron, it'd be easy to make the circuit yourself, plus it'd be exactly what you need, and cheap. If you want links to the specific parts, here are the ones I bookmarked:

--------------olume pads on both boards. That's what I'm going to do once I get my helmet.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Because the hearing protection for shooting has mics that are amplified already built in, along with a power source, and a speaker system. Maybe you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about.

---------------

This is obviously on the high side, and some components would have to be removed to make it work, but the pieces are All there.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Just trying to think about an easier way.... Maybe just easier to build. I just had the idea because I teach firearms and we use those on the range, and they are phenomenal for the amplification. I do still have concerns over how warm it would get inside the helmet if there is no room for air to be moved around. Just thinking out loud a little.

Yeah, that'd be my main concern, too. I think the main plus to doing it from scratch would be all the real estate it'd free up. Although the thing I got hung up on myself is mic placement, if used in tandem with a voice amp system. My gut instinct would be to place the mics for the ambient sound amp system in the aerators of the helmet, so you wouldn't have to mod the helmet itself externally, and plus you really just want the sound in front of you amplified. But the main issue I see with that is feedback from the voice amp, which I'd like to have mounted under my chest plate. I can see where the mics might pick up your own voice, and give feedback. But that might not be an issue, based on the placement of everything. Also, at least for my helmet, I might be running out of space here. I'd like an Aker voice amp with the Memorex wireless transmitter, a circuit for audio amplification, as well as the much needed fan, and foam/harness/whatever system I decide on for securing the fit of the helmet. I'll have to do some serious planning, that's for sure. But as soon as I get closer to having parts in hand, I'll post a WIP thread, and you can be sure I'll be posting trial and error for the audio amp circuit.

I'm doing the same, with a mic and the icomm/amp from tk products mounted behind the chest plate. I'd like to be fully wireless, so that is just more room I'm gonna need in my lid for items.

So, a fan (2), batteries to run them, my wireless receiver, microphone, some type of padding, and an external noise amplification system.

I'd prefer not to drill holes into the helmet if I can avoid it.

And, on too of it all, I want it to look cool. On the inside as well. Lots of trial and error and some planning... I'll post my pics when my lid actually arrives and I get started.

• 6 months later...

I'm in the process of building the Drunken Mynoch's outside amplification system, instead of drilling holes in my lid I took a wood burning tool with a very small bit and melted a slot in the ears between two bumps then cut the excess plastic away. Then I hot glued the mics in the ears behind the slot I made, you can barley tell its there you have to know its there to see it. I'm waiting on a padding kit to finish the lid so I can see how to run the wires and where to mount the sound boards, battery cases and switches. I also have three fans to install, one for the lenses which is a small computer fan, and the two others are squirrel fans to circulate air as I am hot blooded and Im a TX so I need the extra air movement. Waiting on parts just kills the time table! Plus I'm also putting the wireless mic and speaker system in, I'm currently waiting on Hyperdyne labs for there trooper sound board which looks like its not gonna happen cause he's been out of stock for at least a couple months. I sent him an email and he said he's only been out of stock for a couple weeks. I've been tracking his site for at least two months and he's been out of stock the whole time. Plus I've been reading the boards and similar posts have stated he's been out for 9 or 10 months. One post even stated they have been checking his site religiously for almost a year, so I don't know. I'm checking his site every day maybe he'll get some in, who knows. My discust in outdated sales threads is for another thread. I would post pics as I have a lot but I don't know how.

Hyperdynes have been "out of stock" for the last couple years! For outside listening, the spy ear type thing works well with some ear buds, the inner bullet kind, not the stock iPod kind. I'm also coming up with some helmet electronics experiments in the next month or so. Voice changers, Hasbro chip mods, I'll make a thread eventually. But yeah id not waste time checking the hyperdyne site lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm the fella chookaboom is referring to.  I've been working on an amp kit for some time, trying to make it as flexible as possible, while having it be as easy to install and use as possible.  I think I've come up with a pretty good solution, but will let other weigh in on that.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as TKinTraining suggests.  The amp has to be powerful to drive the speakers, and you can't just connect a simple electret mic to a small amp.. it just wont' work without a pre-amp.  I do use the amps he refers to in other projects, but they won't work alone in this sort of implementation.

I have a thread in the ongoing sales forum.

Edited by Skyminer

• 3 months later...

I have one of Mynocks EAS and it is radical. At first I thought I was turning into superman , cause I could hear things coming in all directions, music, birds, crinkling paper, voices, man it was crazy, after a few minutes I could tune out all the other noises and focus in on what was important.

I was standing inline backstage at the last convention I attended, we were supposed to do some cosplay skit. Tired, I requested permission to deactivate for a minute and rest my neck and eyes. As I stood slumped over in rest mode, the Klingon standing next to me says, do you have microphone in that thing, referring to our Aker Voice Amplification, I heard him loud and clear, woke me up enough , and I pointed out the EAS which I fixed the tiny mics to the back side of the smallest teeth, and could hear everything around. They all thought it was pretty cool, and I like the fact of being able to communicate.

Sometimes people try to get your attention from behind, and we all know that is tricky in armor. Not with the EAS. While the rearward sounds are not as pronounced , you can still hear them with the EAS.

I call it a super power... Thanks Mynock...

Edited by Cantina Security