ABS Paste issue

Hi everyone,

I made some ABS paste few days ago and once dry, I ended up with something very shiny and not really opaque. The shining issue didn't really matter as I sanded it after but the opacity problem is bothering me a little more.

Is that normal with abs paste or did I screwed my abs paste ?

Some pics:

Shining

inner_10.jpg

Opacity

inner_12.jpg

(here I also tried to apply white paint over the paste)

Thanks !

I melt some ABS scraps with acetone but as I don't know what ratio you should use I counted on my luck :P

But now I'm asking myself: how long do you have to let the ABS in the acetone ? 24h ? Because I used my paste very quickly after the melting began.

Think you used too much acetone; and not enough ABS, hence the "transparency"

Leave the ABS for several hours, and mix thoroughly. You should then get a uniform consistence.

After application, let dry for several hours before (wet) sanding.

But there always be a little color difference

Edited by Sonnenschein

I definitely didn't leave my ABS enough time in the acetone, so i'll try that ;)

And do you have any ratio estimation of abs/acetone for the mix that i may use ?

I went by feeling. I'd start with less acetone, you can always add more.  A mustsard like consistency worked best for me

While others on here have used it to great success, I've not had any luck with ABS paste.

I tried it to fill the seam where I joined shims onto the ends of my Kidney plate.  After 3 attempts, where I had to sand back & start from scratch I gave up before I either a: had a Hulk moment and smashed the Kidney, or B: threw it someplace (like on the roof).

Every time I let it cure for 12hr's. and then wet sanded it back, but each time I had tiny air bubbles in the seam and it looked worse than the original seam.

Not sure what I was doing wrong as I tried both thinner and thicker consistences, and also worked the paste differently incase my mixing the paste was introducing the air.  Working the paste more with the applicator didn't make any difference.

I've since completely given up on the idea and have instead resorted to getting color matched paint and building up the seam with coats of paint.

Like I said I've seen some great results on here, but it wasn't for me.

In my experience with abs paste it helped to "massage" the paste after the most of acetone evaporated but while the paste was still fairly soft in order to get the tiny gas bubbles out,

Basically, I just poked at it back and forth and compressed it with my fingers.

In my experience with abs paste it helped to "massage" the paste after the most of acetone evaporated but while the paste was still fairly soft in order to get the tiny gas bubbles out,

Basically, I just poked at it back and forth and compressed it with my fingers.

I might try that on some scrap as unless I can get it to turn out better I won't use it again.  I did try to work in more with the applicator in the hope that it would work the bubbles out, but I didn't try it with my fingers, or after it had started to set.