Mr. No-Stripes

armoredguard

I never liked this scene addition, I don't like the way they are all simply just standing there, no reaction to blaster fire they must have heard further up the corridor? It just looks odd now in the film I think.

Agreed!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Across the country in various cities, Lucasfilm is running REBELS cartoon screenings tomorrow. These are official paid troops where LFL has asked for two TK's to appear. We have one screening in my state, and a bunch of the local TK's all submitted their "all 4 sides" pictures to LFL to let them choose which two troopers they want. Myself and another trooper were chosen by LFL. In the pics I submitted to them, I was wearing the only TK helmet I've ever owned....the one without tube stripes on the cheeks. Lucasfilm is planning to give me a paycheck to go out and troop as Mr. No Stripes tomorrow morning. I win.  :D

Across the country in various cities, Lucasfilm is running REBELS cartoon screenings tomorrow. These are official paid troops where LFL has asked for two TK's to appear. We have one screening in my state, and a bunch of the local TK's all submitted their "all 4 sides" pictures to LFL to let them choose which two troopers they want. Myself and another trooper were chosen by LFL. In the pics I submitted to them, I was wearing the only TK helmet I've ever owned....the one without tube stripes on the cheeks. Lucasfilm is planning to give me a paycheck to go out and troop as Mr. No Stripes tomorrow morning. I win.  :D

Awesome!

Edited by TK 5156

Beats me. I was as surprised as you were, cause I'm the only "No Stripes" in my state and a bunch of regular ones turned their pics into Lucasfilm. But I can now officially say I'm "Lucasfilm approved" for trooping, anyway, because they did choose me out of the group.  :lol:

10623071_10204676963513328_1467124394875  

10712882_733967106673479_636376420188684

984222_10204676930792510_855230479058689

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I'm working on a chipper version of Mr No Stripes so I've once again started to peruse screenshots for good reference pics. When MNS is "stunning" Leia there are a couple of good shots of his left side so I can replicate the tear stripes and chips on that side. There are very few good shots of his right however. So my research began again....

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-539_zps53

I wanted to get a good look at MNS during the open the blast doors scenes but there weren't any great/non-blurry shots of "him" online. I took out my handy dandy Blu-Ray and went frame by frame (as us crazy fans are apt to do). I don't have a Blu-ray in my computer so I had to snap it from the screen with a camera (sorry for the poor quality).

IMG_0349_zps1936489c.jpg

Looking at this confirmed to me that it is very likely that two different Mr No Stripes buckets appear in ANH. In the first shot above on Tantive IV, the MNS has four teeth cut into the left hand side and I'm pretty sure on the right, as well. The shot below shows that there are only three teeth cut out on each side in that MNS. We all know that the film was shot out of order so it is conceivable that the teeth could have been cut before the Tantive scene. It is known that one of the stuntmen wore MNS a lot. In fact, it is probable that it was "his" bucket on set. Maybe he wanted to expand the quantity and number of holes to aid in breathing/vision? Who knows?

What's not super clear in the lower shot are the chips surrounding the mic tips/vocoder (they were visible on TV). On looking at each and every chip, it was hard to find one that matched up with any of the chips on the Tantive MNS. Another thing that I noticed is that the 3-tooth MNS' mic tips look installed at a normal angle. The 4-tooth on the other hand are installed at an extreme angle--particularly the left.

So I think we see 2 different MNS throughout the movie. The scenes that I see them in are:

1) "Set for stun" scene--4-tooth (as above)

2) Guarding outside of the MF while officer talks to Vader--4-tooth at the bottom of the ramp

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-7745_zps7

3) Behind Vader in the same scene (second row)--3-tooth (I think)

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-7785_zps5

4) Walking through the MF with a DLT-19--4-tooth

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-7805_zps1

5) Marching through hallways--3-tooth

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-8584_zps8

6) Han's encounter with mass number of TK's--4-tooth (I think)

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-10276_zps

7) Shooting at Luke and Leia on bridge platform--4-tooth

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-10389_zps

8) Close/open blast doors--3-tooth (as above)
9) Troopers at attention--3-tooth (maybe) is 3rd down on the front row

gallery_12157_11_983269_zpse26b4881.jpg

10) Getting shot as heroes escape--4-tooth

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-10863_zps

I know that this will likely never get approved as a 501st variant, but it is indeed interesting if more than one was used so extensively on screen. Like someone said above, too bad they weren't seen in the same camera shot.

Cool detective work Andy. I am still disappointed that MNS is not considered canon. I would have thought that if its on screen, its legit regardless of mistake or not.

Just a curious, but is there definitive proof that this was a prop mistake? I can assume it was by the continuity of the other TK helmets seen on screen but I never read anywhere or heard from an original prop member/cast member that MNS was a mistake. I haven't read everything out there so please do point me any evidence if so.

Sorry just had ask.

I'd like to hear from the stunt man who had an affinity for MNS on why he often chose that lid (would he still be 'around'?). I don't think choosing MNS is a pure random grab, either. I've heard (maybe in this thread?) that stunt men's outfits will often have a distinguishing feature for the Director and crew to easily find him. Makes sense to me.

What I find interesting is that besides all the stunt work, he was given such an important role in the film. Close up, speaking part and the only TK to shoot a hero. Surely they had other helmets--even hero helmets--that could have been used? I guess because a squib explosion was going off they wanted only stunt men in frame and that one guy got to choose his lucky bucket?

I forgot to include the 11th scene where MNS is bumbling through the breach in the detention block wall, too. I think it's a 4-tooth as the stunt scenes tend to use that one.

star-wars4-movie-screencapscom-9036_zpse

Edited by Nagedzi

On a side note, check out MNS' ab buttons in this shot. His stunt work must taken its toll. The ammo pack flops around quite a bit in this scene, too.

gallery_14191_18_174613_zps4a28546b.jpg

I think SFS's squib-loaded chest armour shares a lot in common with Bilbo's sword, Sting. It glows blue when the enemy is near. LOL

Edited by Nagedzi
  • Like 1

Talk about a great thread! I have watched ANH more than 100 times, and this is the first time I've ready about Mr. No Stripes. Now he's going to pop out at me every time I watch the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

He should absolutely be allowed. The excuse of what it was "meant to be" is a failed excuse. And it being a "cinematic shortcut" is also a terrible excuse. If that was the case we'd all have to make Hero tks because that was the vision. And stunt suits were to cut corners.

I'll be joining you in the way of MNS. I'm just trying to get the teeth and ear gaps close before adding chippy goodness....

MNSvsMine_zpsa43fa822.jpg

That's so awesome you're trying to match that helmet exactly, with the ear gap style and chips and all that. I just made a "generic" helmet build and chose to not put the tube stripes on.  :lol:

• Like 1

Also the guy who has the MNS instagram page has his 501st member picture in his profile. It should be allowed no doubt.

I saw it, it's really cool.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

That's so awesome you're trying to match that helmet exactly, with the ear gap style and chips and all that. I just made a "generic" helmet build and chose to not put the tube stripes on.  :lol:

I had the ears cut and positioned with no gap at first. Maybe some of my best fitting ears I've ever done. I'll tell you, it was hard to intentionally cut deeper and deeper to create the gaps. I'm glad I did as it definitely gives it a different feeling, though. More battle worn or something. Next to add the khaki colour....