Bodysuit under the TK armor

Hey guys..

Was wondering about something about the bodysuit. I was looking at the 501st approval.

Under Suit

For 501st approval:

• Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs.

What do this acualy mean? Dos this mean when you have all your Armor parts on you or dos this meen without the armor parts and the Neck Seal?

Have been looking at alot of diffrent bodysuit and found out that most of them have a Zipper.

Had been nice to have other opinion about this...

Edited by Moxtrooper

it's essentially a lycra/spandex suit you wear underneath your armor parts. You don't need a separate shot with the undersuit, just that when you take photos in your armor you can see that beneath it is all black and no seams or zippers or logos showing. Most of us cover the logos with a sharpie.

Some people do a front-zip lycra "dive skin suit" - you can find these on Amazon - and some do a 2-piece under-armor type suit (EastBay often has big sales on this stuff and is good quality), pants and long sleeve top.

On 3/29/2013 at 8:03 AM, LadyInWhite said:

it's essentially a lycra/spandex suit you wear underneath your armor parts.

Thanks..

Havent been looking at those.

It looks like i found something here:

-----------

What you think of those? any experience with that item?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks...

Must say that the one You linked looks alot more like the once that Luke and Han Solo used at a new hope...

It even helps hold out the wind too. A little more expensive, but what is that when feel totaly warm and Awesome. ;D

Edited by Moxtrooper

I have a really nice set of separates made by Nike but they are heavy duty. One day at Kohl's I found a top and bottom that were much lighter and I thought I'd purchase those because it would be a tad cooler and I had a nice 30% off coupon.

Even though I washed them before wearing them the first time, the dye of the fabric stained the inside of my armor and some edges. I've scrubbed and even tried bleach but those stains may be permanent. Luckily they aren't too noticeable.

Don't buy cheap stuff and if you do wash them about ten times before you wear them.

I purchased an under suit from --------------and have been very pleased. It has a zipper down the front but is concealed under the armour and neck seal.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Don't buy cheap stuff and if you do wash them about ten times before you wear them.

Totaly Agree with You there. Have been looking at them alot and found that i havent been thinking about hard weather like wind and stuff.

The quality and comfort are equal importance as looks.

i have a bodysuit and seperate balaclavs from the body, but the bodysuit have a zipper in front. Thats why i asked. I see I need to invest in a new one that hold wind too.

East Bay all the way baby!  Cheap, totally comfortable and absolutely perfect for under your armor.  Look no further my friends!  Lol!  I think I should go to work for those guys!  

Really though, Lots of folks use these here and everyone likes em. The best part is that if they wear out they're not a pain to replace.  I also have some winter versions for the colder troops.

I can't recommend these enough and believe me I went through all of the other options when I was doing my build.  Save yourself some time and money and just go with these.  ---------------

They also often have a deal when you buy both!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

From the CRL (Costume Reference Library):

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_esb

• Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs.

The CRL doesn't mention it specifically, but I think the majority wear the "compression" type under suits.

Do the suits have to be fitted like under armor compression tops and bottoms? Or can they be a lose fitting material? This newbie needs some help.

Thanks,

Bryan

Yes, they should be as tight fitting as possible.  For instance, the racing underwear that some have here are pretty baggy in the elbows.  When I was doing the same searching you are now many members directed me (and others) away from those because of that reason.  

Compression gear is the best choice.  The Under Armour stuff is excellent and high quality but for the cost of one shirt you could have both the tops and the bottoms of the East Bay stuff.  Also I haven't done a ton of troops in my 8  months of being approved but there isn't any wear so far on my East Bay stuff, it looks great after many washings.    No matter which way you choose, Renaissance dance wear, Racing under suit, Under Armour, East Bay, just be sure it is as form fitting as possible, no sags or bunching should be visible anywhere. Also make sure it's the darkest color available with little or no logos.  As Ingrid said above, you can always use a magic marker to black out the small logo on the Under Armor or East Bay.  I have noticed that I didn't have to do that at all on my East Bays.  The logo on the back of the pants gets covered by the shirt (and it's hidden behind armor anyway) and there isn't any obvious marks on the shirt so no problems there.

Can't recommend the East Bays enough, affordable and exactly what you need for under your armor.

There was a thread talking all about this earlier last year somewhere in the forum if you search a bit more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is this acceptable?   It's on sale and i'm still in the market for one:

-----------

Also, is it better to have a suit with two pieces for better access for "bio breaks" or is there even such a thing when it comes to troop gear?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 5/14/2013 at 11:55 AM, Punkers said:

Is this acceptable?   It's on sale and i'm still in the market for one:

-----------

Also, is it better to have a suit with two pieces for better access for "bio breaks" or is there even such a thing when it comes to troop gear?

That will work fine. My first undersuit was a diveskin. Let me tell you, it was freaking hot! I have since changed to an Under Armor type 2pc. I get them at Walmart for around $12 each piece. I belive they are Starter brand. Same as Under Armor, just waaaaay cheaper.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Ok good to know! Heat wise for summer vs winter use, is their any real difference in temperature? Or do you use the same Starter top and bottoms? Any difference in ease for "bio breaks" too?

I'll have to look online and see if those are listed somewhere else because it doesn't appear Walmart has them online.

Edited by Punkers

Anyone know of any "cons" against using a two piece suit rather than a dive skin?   Dive skins do slightly worry me if I've got to take a restroom break on a long troop, so I'm curious what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance.

@Punkers: I have a 2 piece (I believe I once read that ESB used 2piece under-armor but accurazi/researcher knowledge is needed to prove this) and the only con I can think of is you have to wear the pants "Urkle style" with your shirt stuffed in and the pants all the way up to your belly button. This is to make sure noone can see the seam of your pants in the space between cod and butt plate and depends on how you wear your armor.

For the general discussion: Keep in mind the suit has to be non-see-through. I guess especially cotton underwear looks perfectly solid first and once worn and the fibers have to expand a bit, parts can get see-through.

I had this awkward pic wearing one of my old cotton 1piece undersuits and you could see the pattern of my boxers through it. Tiger !

• 3 months later...

i would think for washroom breaks a two-piece would be better since you dont have to take the whole top down but many seem to like the one-piece.

is this an issue or are you stripping down for bio-breaks anyways? :wacko: